Page 72 of 107 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1592

Thread: The Mandalorian

having a social media presence may be a requirement for celebrities these days but anybody with any sense hires a professional to manage their accounts so as to avoid unwanted controversy and instead help develop the celebrity's "brand". Although i guess you could argue Carano certainly has her own brand now, just one that conflicted enough with the disney brand that they cut ties with her.

Bit interesting that Pedro has been cast in the LAST OF US series as Joel. Like MANDALORIAN, LOGAN, LONE WOLF AND CUB etc. it's the same basic concept; damaged man is sent on a job to deliver a young person to a destination, but eventually grows attached/becomes a father figure to his ward and plans change.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Spectacular Member

"Disney's Awful, No Good, Very Bad Gina Carano Situation". A worrisome take for Disney.

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net...ano-situation/

Disney can't continue to let Lucasfilm and it's immature staff/self-appointed-tweet-guardians continue as is. Time for Disney to step in and control the messages.

Regardless of what was said:
    - Fire someone without contacting them directly to notify them? Absolutely unprofessional. A Hollywood no-no
    - Add commentary to a parting-ways statement? Again absolutely unprofessional. Another Hollywood no-no. The standard, "No longer with us. We wish him/her well in their future" should have been used.

It's like a bunch of 13 year old teenagers are in charge at Lucasfilm's HR/public relations team.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    "Disney's Awful, No Good, Very Bad Gina Carano Situation". A worrisome take for Disney.

Disney can't continue to let Lucasfilm and it's immature staff/self-appointed-tweet-guardians continue as is. Time for Disney to step in and control the messages.

- Fire someone without contacting them directly to notify them? Absolutely unprofessional. A Hollywood no-no
    - Add commentary to a parting-ways statement? Again absolutely unprofessional. Another Hollywood no-no. The standard, "No longer with us. We wish him/her well in their future" should have been used.

It's like a bunch of 13 year old teenagers are in charge at Lucasfilm's HR/public relations team.
    Umm honestly Disney won't suffer any issues with this firing. People don't care about this lady. And in emerging markets that Disney is tapping they really don't care. Disney + is expected to pass Netflix as the biggest streaming service in the world by 2025.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-16-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Incredible Member

So, it seems they're recasting Cara Dune. Which, for me is a good thing, the character was interesting.

https://www.cbr.com/the-mandalorian-...ano-cara-dune/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    So, it seems they're recasting Cara Dune. Which, for me is a good thing, the character was interesting.

https://www.cbr.com/the-mandalorian-...ano-cara-dune/

Yup I doubt they will miss a beat. I was a big supporter of a recast.

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post

First of all, that website seems like politico-garbage. They're equating her firing to supporting Communist China and making it about the presidential race:
    Carano had placed herself into complete opposition with the Hollywood elite political structure… not completely divorced from the reason of the Chinese Communist Party wanting a certain president out of power and Hollywood wanting desperately to stay on the good side of the CCP in order to grow their market in China. By November, Disney and Lucasfilm top brass were preparing to remove Carano from her character.
    One of their criticisms of "WandaVision" is the idea that they would ever show an FBI agent as a good guy because "we all know the FBI are corrupt." The rest of the criticisms boil down to "we don't get it, so it's stupid." Anyway....

-- It's dismissive to boil it down to "tweet guardians." We all know what the political climate is like now and any company had to be careful about the potential of how their employees might reflect badly on themselves.
    -- Disney(or Lucasfilm) seemed to make efforts to keep her employed. I'm sure she didn't like the scripted apology, but they gave her the chance rather than firing her outright and she even admitted she spoke out of ignorance until Pascal educated her about trans. She was so focused on being contrary to "the mob" (which some might call societal standards) that she lost sight of her obligation to her employers, who had a lot to lose by sticking with her.
    -- Doesn't she bear some, if not a lot of the fault for this? Her statements were ignorant, if not downright harmful.(though I'm sure she has no idea why they would be) Why should Disney "wish her well" when she clearly showed no interest in the well-being of her employers? If I'm running a business and an employee has the power to potentially ruin me by being an ******* to a bunch of my customers, then shows no remorse or indication that they won't continue to be an *******, why would I show any deference to them?

Also, side-note. I wonder how many of the people defending her now were one of the ones bitching about her at first when they thought she and her character were pushing a SJW feminist agenda?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-16-2021 at 10:33 PM.

All-New Member

Carano was never "fired" though. She was not contracted for the Fett series, and they hadn't/haven't started on the next Mandalorian season at the time. The decision had been made to just not bring Carano back or give her more work - a very different thing to tearing up a contract and during her outright.

This is why she hadn't heard anything - there was nothing to hear.

Mighty Member

I seem to remember reading the story about plans for her character in Rangers of the New Republic/Cara Dune spinoff and literally the day after the announcement she makes the anti-vaccine comments and they stopped whatever plans they had. With the vaccine comments, why did Disney slam on the brakes so fast? Because in reading the post all she said and I'm paraphrasing here, was mail me the vaccine and I'll take the shot because it's not safe from me to go out and be around people? It was dripping with sarcasm, but nothing that scandalous from what I read into it.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

She made those comments in November, a month before the Investors Day announcements. Raiders is what they ended up doing instead of a full on Cara Dune series since it would mean Gina wouldn’t be leading it as much. But now her new actress can be involved instead.

Ultimate Member

Has a new actress been cast?

Fantastic Member

I see people on other sites trying to make Gina out to be a victim of Cancel Culture. This really isn't Cancel Culture because this isn't some screw up from years and years ago that somebody decided to dig up. This was on going current behavior. She was only let go after having been given multiple chances and she chose not to listen. This is a case of someone shooting themselves in the foot multiple times.

This goes for pretty much any other workplace. If someone did something that their boss didn't approve of and they continued to do that specific thing again and again, their ass would be fired. Hell for most people, their employer would have just fired them from the first infraction.

Ultimate Member

Plus, she was spouting harmful conspiracy theories.

Astonishing Member

If I were Disney I wouldn't respond to this anymore. Recast the part and move on. Continuously addressing something this simple just inflames the silliness of a "cancel culture narrative". They did nothing wrong. She was stupid and had chances to correct her behavior, she choose not too and she lost her job.

She isn't a major franchise building star that leaves them in a financial quandary. They have super successful shows that will be super successful if her name is never uttered again.