Page 75 of 107 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1592

Thread: The Mandalorian

I'm fortunate to be in the generation to have grown up with Star Wars from the beginning. I love movies and the theater experience, but I've wanted a live-action Star Wars series for decades. The Mandalorian is everything I wanted and is my most favorite thing ever on screen.

Ultimate Member

So the Jedi are still cult like dicks.

Some things never change

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I don’t think it’s so much being a dick as it is that there is worry about Grogu’s young age and attachment issues. I can understand why having a constant reminder of Din on him might be distracting. Having said that, I clearly think he will have both at some point (armor and lightsaber).

We clearly see Luke training Leia and then Ben, so it’s not like he cut all attachment off either.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    So the Jedi are still cult like dicks.

Some things never change
    ***MINOR SPOILERS FOR BoBF Ch 6****
    You'd think Luke of all people, would have been the one to understand that work/life balance - that you can have attachments as well as understand the Force. Oh well... it's a shame, but it's more real that he wasn't a perfect character.

Also, I had thought Grogu gained a certain respect for frog life, but I guess not .. they're still just food.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-02-2022 at 07:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Luke’s presented as a flawed teacher here, still following, at least to some extent, the letting go doctrine of the Jedi a bit too much, which I think LFL may actually themselves want to be a serious “rule” to follow all the time - a lot of us got our start when the post-OT timeline had no problem with attachments, but I think that modern LFL doesn’t think that was a good idea for whatever reason.

On the other hand, he also still offered Grogu a choice and has given him genuine training and positive support, which makes his doctrinal practices healthier than the Armorer’s Children of the Watch’s creed.

This Luke is also interesting in that some of his appeal is still going to remain “being the Luke TLJ haters wanted”… and for good reason - he’s much more functional as a supporting character fro Grogu here than he was for Rey in TLJ, much more in-character, and his flaws feels much more understandable and tolerable compared to the self-center cowardly jerk from TLJ…

…and yet, for TLJ fans, it should still work because it gives them the optimistic period they enjoy seeing destroyed for angst.

Now we just need him to get some other early students/partners who leave before the cancer named Ben Solo shows up to drown everything in a worthless Gary Stu story.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    ***MINOR SPOILERS FOR BoBF Ch 6****
    You'd think Luke of all people, would have been the one to understand that work/life balance - that you can have attachments as well as understand the Force. Oh well... it's a shame, but it's more real that he wasn't a perfect character.

Also, I had thought Grogu gained a certain respect for frog life, but I guess not .. they're still just food.
    The Eggs in season 2 eventually grow into sentient creatures; the Frogs, not so much.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

One would think that Luke Skywalker of all Jedi would have junked the "Jedi must have no attachments" rule since:

A) He never followed it himself.

B) His attachment to his father (and vice versa) is what allowed
    him to break thru Darth Vader and reach Anakin Skywalker at all. It's the only thing that allowed their side to win at all.

That dogma was a really big deal to the Prequel Jedi. It was however, the very last thing Jedi of the Original Series films had to worry about, so it's not something they ever stressed with Luke until the very end.

The Writers really seem to want to make that a part of Jedi dogma. But even so, it's not a part that Luke would have ever really absorbed or adhered to.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 02-02-2022 at 01:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    One would think that Luke Skywalker of all Jedi would have junked the "Jedi must have no attachments" rule since:

A) He never followed it himself.

B) His attachment to his father (and vice versa) is what allowed
    him to break thru Darth Vader and reach Anakin Skywalker at all. It's the only thing that allowed their side to win at all.

That dogma was a really big deal to the Prequel Jedi. It was however, the very last thing Jedi of the Original Series films had to worry about, so it's not something they ever stressed with Luke until the very end.

The Writers really seem to want to make that a part of Jedi dogma. But even so, it's not a part that Luke would have ever really absorbed or adhered to.
    I think there’s two major reasons why they seem to be embracing the “no attachments” idea with Luke, and I’m luke-warm (…ba-dum-tsh) on one of them and just kind of depressed about the other one.

1. Story Reasons - This covers everything from wanting to make Grogu choose Din over Luke/Possibly highlighting how fragile Din’s “clan” claim as a Mandalorian is, to trying to find a quick and easy flaw to give Luke for when Ben falls, since they can plug in the stereotypical “hurt feelings” answer for him.

2. LFL wanting that philosophy cemented with the Jedi - as weird, counterintuitive, and even self-defeating as it may be, I would not be shocked if LFL’s current stance is that “good” Jedi should be disconnected hermits. I know a lot of us come from the Pre-AOTC days, and thus see Luke’ attachment to Anakin as disproving the idea and making it an excuse for a “forbidden love” angle with that film… but I could see current LFL thinking that the philosophical and religious theories behind the rule and general disconnection is a lore-based asset and rule.

Some people really like the idea of trying to separate and segregate the Jedi from the more general heroes of the setting, and to emphasize the genuine (if often fallible and easily countered) philosophical arguments that Lucas used to build up the PT Jedi. It even allows them to pump out some easy angst whenever attachment comes out or to have an excuse to not try tackling a romance again if they don't want to.

I don't like it, and I think the old EU showcased how much more fun it can be to have more salt-of-the-earth Jedi Knights… but I could see a lot of LFL thinking that they need to emphasize the more austere aspects of the Jedi to really make them “pop” in their eyes.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

It is odd seeing Luke adhere to a philosophy that he didn't even seem aware of just a few short years earlier during RotJ, but I can roll with it for a couple reasons.

Grogu, specifically, would probably benefit from the lack of attachments. Poor kid has been through a lot and I can believe that Luke felt the Child would be better off cutting ties, especially with a bounty hunter Mandalorian. It might be less a matter of Luke wanting the new Jedi to follow this philosophy and more a matter of Luke feeling it's best for Grogu specifically, right now, yknow? Let the kid heal from his trauma, figure out the Force, and *then* start letting people back in. Ashoka mentioned how afraid Grogu was, and how he might easily fall into the dark side, this might just be Luke attempting to correct that.

And apparently Luke has no students yet, he's untried and untested as a teacher and was barely half trained himself. And we see him follow Yoda's training regime almost exactly; so maybe Luke is just falling back on old methods while he works out how to be his own kind of teacher.

Plus, this sets up the obvious differences between the Jedi and Mandalorians, which can result in all kinds of fun down the road.

Gotta say, I'm amazed that so much Din/Grogu stuff is happening in Boba Fett; some legit big moments have happened....and it's not even Din's show (not that you'd know it to watch the last couple episodes). Getting kicked out of his covert, losing the spear, getting the new ship, the stuff with Grogu....big stuff and I hope Mando fans are also watching Boba Fett!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Looks like Marvel's doing a series adaptation, directly adapting the episodes. Maybe expanding on them a bit like some of the other Disney comic and novel adaptations have done.

Speaking of which, wonder if they'll ever get the ROS adaptation revived.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like Marvel's doing a series adaptation, directly adapting the episodes. Maybe expanding on them a bit like some of the other Disney comic and novel adaptations have done.

That's a shame, I would have much rathered new stories.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

Don't really see the point.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Don't really see the point.
    Because there isn't one. It's Marvel trying to cash grab off the popularity of the show. They know that X percent of the SW fanbase will buy it just because it exists and they are completionists, and they hope that number is larger than typical because Grogu.

Christopher Lloyd joins the show?
    https://www.cbr.com/mandalorian-seas...to-the-future/
    I want him to play John Bigbootay so we can get a proper Star Wars/Buckaroo Bonzai crossover! (I'm sure Patton Oswalt can figure out how it can be done)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Christopher Lloyd joins the show?
    https://www.cbr.com/mandalorian-seas...to-the-future/
    I want him to play John Bigbootay so we can get a proper Star Wars/Buckaroo Bonzai crossover! (I'm sure Patton Oswalt can figure out how it can be done)
    Can never get enough Christoper Lloyd .