Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    He actually had a lot of character development and at one point was growing out of his jerk phase...but then he got abandoned by his own parents, his mentor figure Emma, and then had his hands blown off and apparently nobody has bothered to make time to heal them. I'd say he's justified in his anger because of these things. But then Marjorie Liu was going through a rough time in her personal life and decided to vent by making Hellion out to be an abusive boyfriend. Le sigh.
    This. Hellion literally and figuratively got thrown under a bus, and he's frankly fortunate that HIS didn't explode. Writers pretty much ignore all of his character development throughout Academy X and KYost. The fact that Liu set Hellion up as a punching bag for her own personal issues was pretty unprofessional, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    ?

what exactly am I supposed to look at??

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    ?

what exactly am I supposed to look at??
    Jubilee I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This. Hellion literally and figuratively got thrown under a bus, and he's frankly fortunate that HIS didn't explode. Writers pretty much ignore all of his character development throughout Academy X and KYost. The fact that Liu set Hellion up as a punching bag for her own personal issues was pretty unprofessional, too.
    You think Lius the first writer to ever vent through storytelling?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    You think Lius the first writer to ever vent through storytelling?
    Where did I say she was? That doesn't change my point in the slightest. It's one thing to use your own property, but trashing a character you don't own just because you're having a bad day is something else entirely.

Where did I say she was? That doesn't change my point in the slightest. It's one thing to use your own property, but trashing a character you don't own just because you're having a bad day is something else entirely.
    "Having a bad day" way to undermine Liu's own adversity. There was nothing "unprofessional" about how she wrote Hellion, she didn't use him as a way to call out, insult or air out her grievances. Millions of writers have used their personal experiences and ordeals as inspiration for their work and channelled it in their works. All the X-men have childhood trauma and got the short end of the stick so I don't see why it's supposed to exempt Hellion from being written as an antagonist to an another character or having a bad relationship with other people.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I mean if we criticize other writers for doing it, I'm not sure why we're giving Liu a free pass.

I liked her X-23 run by the way.
    "Cable was right!"

I think all the main girls from Pixie Strikes Back are going to be bi
    Why's that?

Is Mercury gay? I seem to recall a point where Bling! hit on Mercury or asked her out or something and I don't think it went so well.
    Maybe I was wrong, but I thought so (seemed to recall there was a line in the Pixie Strikes Back story that fit that). Either way, I think I'd like to see Mercury/X-23 if they try to give Laura another love interest (what would that be? "X-Cury?" "MerVerine?").

Can't comment on Teen Angel because I couldn't be arsed with the 05 storyline...
    It was just boring, IMHO. Teen Angel was a good guy, but I just couldn't find him interesting (while I don't think highly of Hellion, I will concede that there was some interesting writing in how it came to be and fell apart). Didn't read much of the team series where they were together and dating, but he did pop up in the All-New Wolverine solo a bit. Really telling that Tom Taylor had started the series with the idea that Angel would be Laura's partner in crime but then changed his mind mid-arc to have Gabby play the role, making her the co-lead, while Angel only had a few guest spots. They also kinda phased out his and Laura's dating relationship, as I understand it without an actual breakup, so who knows what everyone was thinking about it.

...but I feel compelled to defend Hellion (obviously).
    Fair enough.

He actually had a lot of character development and at one point was growing out of his jerk phase...but then he got abandoned by his own parents, his mentor figure Emma, and then had his hands blown off and apparently nobody has bothered to make time to heal them. I'd say he's justified in his anger because of these things. But then Marjorie Liu was going through a rough time in her personal life and decided to vent by making Hellion out to be an abusive boyfriend. Le sigh.
    I did first meet the character in the Tamaki series (read the earlier stuff since I liked the X-23 solos and wanted to see more of the character). So, I will freely concede that I didn't get a good first impression. However, he didn't really impress that much in the earlier things. He got off on the wrong foot with Laura to quite the extent (throwing the word "clone" in someone's face who's not bothering you is pretty out-of-your-way jerkishness) and it seemed like he always kept a foot in that camp. It didn't really help that Laura felt like a rebound for Hellion (since the other girl he'd been interested in had left without a word) and Laura's feelings seemed just based on his risking his neck for her in the Nimrod battle. So, I never bought that the relationship was anything substantial in the first place.

Either way, I'm not sure he and Laura were a good match. They seemed to kinda push each other's buttons and it seems like someone more even keel might be a better fit for her, given her traumatic background.

(Actually thought it made a lot of sense that the breakup of the would-be relationship being messy made a lot of sense; both were really inexperienced -- Laura esp. so -- Hellion was in a pretty dark place. That's just a blow up waiting to happen. Also, since Laura seemed to be struggling to get her own life in order, it seemed like not starting something with him was the right call.)

While they both screwed up, Laura was a real jerk to him in their last story arc, too. Even before he lost his temper with her, when he was first trying to reach out to SOMEONE to talk to about what he'd been going through, she turned her back on him. That arc may be the only time I've ever found her completely unsympathetic.
    Hellion lost his temper with her right away, smashing something when she made an innocuous observation and grabbing her arm when she tried to leave; huge red flags. I will give him credit that he was trying and Laura did a horrible job at communicating (which makes sense and I do appreciate that she was shown to have her failings). However, if she was no longer interested, that was her right and his graceless reaction to that fact is pretty damning. Maybe under other circumstances they could've made things work, but under the circumstances (Hellion lashing out at everyone, including people he ostensibly cared for, Laura's own problems and the fact that she didn't want a relationship), neither were in a place for Hellion to make one happen.

Whatever we may say about her execution, Laura did the right thing walking away; it was a toxic situation just waiting to harm both of them and I don't think there was any way she could've helped Hellion by that point.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why's that.
    There’s lots of sexual tension between the four girls (Mercury, Armor, Laura, Pixie) in the Pixie Strikes Back miniseries. You mentioned Mercury/Laura yourself.

Later on, Mercury ends up coming out to Bling.

The Secret Wars has Jubilee and Pixie be out and queer. Jubilee was simply from if Inferno never ended reality. Pixie was from House of M reality which Scarlet Witch creates from main 616 and their greatest desires.

In House of X-Man, Pixie and Armor watching Bling and Anole be busted by the police and scared to say anything, is like a metaphor for not coming themselves like their friends.

One of X-23 creators saying he intended for her to end up queer.

Lots of Laura/vampire Jubilee sapphic scenes.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 10-08-2020 at 03:51 AM.

BANNED

Frankly, I'm still dubious about Kyle's claims. It's not backed up anywhere in what he actually wrote. Yost, who Kyle himself considers her co-creator, apparently disagrees (he noted in 2014 he still shipped her with Hellion). And having watched some of Kyle's other comments, he very much comes across as someone who wants to treat her as a creator-owned character, and is trying to exert some control.

Only when you remove the context that LAURA IS TRYING TO USE HER TO COMMIT SUICIDE during a story that heavily deals with themes of depression and self harm (one of the very first scenes had Laura inflicting fatal wounds on herself in a bathroom that she only survived because of her healing factor).

Welcome to art.

To say she’s unprofessional for putting her life into her art is...bizarre?

There’s lots of sexual tension between the four girls (Mercury, Armor, Laura, Pixie) in the Pixie Strikes Back miniseries. You mentioned Mercury/Laura yourself.

Later on, Mercury ends up coming out to Bling.
    Didn't notice it with the characters in that mini myself and put Mercury and X-23 together mostly based on the New X-Men stuff.

The Secret Wars has Jubilee and Pixie be out and queer. Jubilee was simply from if Inferno never ended reality. Pixie was from House of M reality which Scarlet Witch creates from main 616 and their greatest desires.

In House of X-Man, Pixie and Armor watching Bling and Anole be busted by the police and scared to say anything, is like a metaphor for not coming themselves like their friends.
    Huh.

Could be, although I don't believe they're working on the franchise anymore and she was written as straight by him at the time. I mean, if the Powers That Be decide that they want to write Laura as being gay or bisexual down the line, fine, but I'm not sure if the opinion of a previous writer counts that much.

Dunno if I got that, more of "this is creepy" (not to mention that Jubilee specifically notes that she doesn't want to do that sort of thing after the fact).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I was certainly invested in the idea...
    Ambiguous panel is ambiguous.
    Attachment 101184
    Yes, and I remember how angry Logan looked at Ororo overpowering him in the duel. I thought maybe it might have been because Kurt was there. Maybe that's why Ororo looked so smug?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Claremont was bugging.
    Maybe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Dunno if I got that, more of "this is creepy" (not to mention that Jubilee specifically notes that she doesn't want to do that sort of thing after the fact).
    YES. It happens in a story that deals heavily with themes of self-harm and destructive behavior, and the scene in question involves Laura attempting suicide-by-vampire. The subtext of the scene is decidedly unhealthy, and it frankly disturbs me every time someone points to that and says, "See? SEE?"

I suspect this idea has been posted before but I would just accept Claremont's teasing from the past and make EVERY mutant character bisexual except for the gay characters. Why not? We had to read years and years and years of cishet storylines. Now it's time to give back to the LGBTQ+ community!!!!