Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So, is this going to be a five issue mini-series in the background of a Lee/ Ditko two-parter?
    Sounds like it. I imagine the later issues will deal with Gwen's first meeting with Peter from her POV which took place during the Master Planner Saga. And maybe Gage will explain or clarify why Gwen was such a B-Word in that period.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I do not know what Crime Master would have against Pete ( as opposed to Spider-Man), but he is male, knows Fisk and Norm, was in Ditko's run, and was in Hell. Sounds lke he could be a Kindred suspect.
    He could have learned that Peter is Spidey while in hell, Kindred does say he knows Peter better than Peter knows himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In the Lee-Ditko Crime Master 2-Parter it was the police that captured the Crime Master and not Spider-Man, so I imagine Gwen will be the one who played a hidden role in capturing the Crime Master in the course of Gage's run. It will be Gwen, Carlie, Yuri, George Stacy, DeWolff and all the cop characters who would in future either die or get bent who will band together to score this victory and so be retconned into Lee-Ditko.
    Hopefully she doesn't get too much credit if so, in the original, it was Foswell who found out who Crime Master is:

Foswell says he used "his underworld grapevine", which I assume is a slang for using his contacts, Gwen could be a major one who helped out, but not so major to make Foswell not take credit.

Fisk didn't really become the Kingpin of Crime until ASM#50 when Peter went Spider-Man No More and in the vacuum of his absence Fisk made his move to take over (which is why I find the PS4 game about how Kingpin is necessary or the city will fall apart absurd...originally it was the other freakin' way around). So I kinda wonder how Gage will do that. Maybe Fisk will be a civilian businessman guy that helps out Gwen to take down the Crime Master.
    To be fair, what Fisk says in PS4 Spidey only has a ring of truth to it, yes, if someone in position of power is taken out, someone else will try to take their position, but at the end of the day, Spidey defeated Martin, Otto and Hammerhead, and by the end of the game everything's peaceful, of course, it's not gonna remain peaceful, but the notion that Fisk is needed to keep things peaceful isn't supported by the game itself as something so absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So, is this going to be a five issue mini-series in the background of a Lee/ Ditko two-parter?
    Well, at least one part of it will, but who knows if the entire mini will only be about crime master.

I think, if this story is really about Gwen investigating Crime Master, Gage will need to explain in the end why Gwen isn't investigating crime anymore, and there's plenty of ways to do that, maybe she got traumatized (Lazy and I think it shouldn't be done since Gwen at no point looked traumatized), or maybe she just realized that this kind of life isn't what she wants, or whatever else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Well, at least one part of it will, but who knows if the entire mini will only be about crime master.

I think, if this story is really about Gwen investigating Crime Master, Gage will need to explain in the end why Gwen isn't investigating crime anymore, and there's plenty of ways to do that, maybe she got traumatized (Lazy and I think it shouldn't be done since Gwen at no point looked traumatized), or maybe she just realized that this kind of life isn't what she wants, or whatever else.
    I could see the mini ending with Gwen getting in way over her head and realizing a life of danger and excitement with costumed criminals is the farthest thing she wants from life, which would line up well with classic Gwen as we know her.

Astonishing Member

Sounds like it. I imagine the later issues will deal with Gwen's first meeting with Peter from her POV which took place during the Master Planner Saga. And maybe Gage will explain or clarify why Gwen was such a B-Word in that period.
    I really do not expect Gage to give a good reason why Gwen was not exactly nice in that era. Why? Gwen as a crime reporter will be revisionist history, and unless it is tied to Kindred I am skipping it. If you read enough stories with Gwen you know she was more like Liz then Betty, MJ or even Felicia, and not good enough for Pete. Why? Her treatment of Aunt May ( a point I have made before) is what bothered me the most. Did it make her evil? No. But she was certainly no Saint. I did not like her shown as a tramp ( Sins Past), and I would not like her shown as an Angel. Why? Because neither tramp or Angel were accurate.

It's interesting that this'll be the first time we've seen Watanabe since she went "bad," but I guess it's not surprising Gage would bring back a Slott character and establish her friendship with DeWolff that they introduced around when she first appeared.

Gage is a continuity buff so my guess is that he'll use this to explain why Gwen was so harsh in the Ditko years only to reveal a softness after that. He might also try and add in stuff about her being interested in science and other nosh and how that squared with her being a beauty queen socialite in her first appearances.
    I wish I were that optimistic, to think someone might actually revisit the Ditko time with Gwen. But it seems more likely to be the usual pablum showing Gwen to be a saint and always a saint, the best love interest for Peter, and blah blah blah.

My secret hope is that it turns out her mom died by being thrown off of a bridge.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    My secret hope is that it turns out her mom died by being thrown off of a bridge.
    Well, that's a weird family tradition.

Which makes me wonder, where's Sarah?

The solicit has been updated:

GWEN STACY #1 (OF 5)

Written by CHRISTOS GAGE
    Art by TODD NAUCK
    Cover by ADAM HUGHES

The First of Gwen Stacy’s AMAZING Adventures!

Gwen and Peter may not have met until AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #31, but that doesn’t mean Gwen’s life began on that page. Learn the never-before told origin of Gwen Stacy, top of her class, daughter of the Police Captain and, as her friend Harry Osborn calls her, “The Beauty Queen of Standard High.” But she’s way more that you even know! Gwen’s got a science brain, a nose for trouble and a no-quit attitude that always gets her in trouble. In the early Marvel Universe, that’s a recipe for disaster. Don’t miss Gwen, Captain Stacy, Harry and Norman Osborn, Crimemaster, Wilson Fisk, Jean DeWolff, Yuri Wantanabe and even Spider-Man!
    Sounds like we're getting the post-death Gwen Stacy instead of the character as was in the original comic. Course that is par for the course these days.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Sounds like we're getting the post-death Gwen Stacy instead of the character as was in the original comic. Course that is par for the course these days.
    Well she didn't have much of a character even in the original lol.

This doesn't even sound like post-death Gwen, since post-death Gwen is just a saint according to everyone, this one is sounding like a some brave woman who goes after trouble, which none of Gwen's other personalities were like, wonder if they'll make her into "Spider-Gwen, but no powers".

We're on our 4th or 5th Gwen re-interpretation .

Prequels can be a very difficult tale to pull off that can fall into a area that can be accepted by fans. Retcons possible, backported development, and other 'reveals'. Gwen, Mary Jane, Aunt May, and many others in time have had prequel stories/issues about them. I remember when Mary Jane suddernly knew Peter's secret for years apparently which lead to some fans questioning how effective that reveal went and with new information presented to us suddernly how that all went down plus reevaluate some of Mary Jane's past actions with questionable aspects.

Now maybe Gwen's mother might show up and her fate which effected Gwen. That Gwen and her father might of lived elsewhere but moved to New York when Gwen's father got a great job opportunity. Had character developments and derailments with her life going up and down (some maybe due to her own actions).

Maybe when she was younger she was geeky but follows after danger and has her no-quit attitude all influenced by seeing her brave father doing so everyday with Gwen wanting to be like him and seeing him as her hero as a child. But one of her personal investigations and running into danger gets her mother killed as her mother pushes Gwen out of danger's way. Her heading into danger which resulted in the bad guy losing but her mother dead effected Gwen and she stopped her desire to help and stop bad guys haunted by it all.

Growing older her body develops going from flat and geeky to bombshell woman. Suddenly she's finding social popularity which first overwhelmed her but became addicting being swarmed by other due to her sudden appearance changes. Along the way she told how she should dress and how she's 'suppose to to be'(act) by her negativity influencing peers that bullied her in the past. She then meets Harry.
    A sort of tragedy in comic form of a smart brave selfless kid she was then undergoing negative influences from the death of her mother, guilt, peer pressures, addiction, and other factors to change who she is/was as she was entering or in her early teen years of her life. Then we cut foward to see that her time with MJ and Peter started to tap into the braver and kinder person she was before other peers affected with their way of thinking influencing her. Gwen questioning and reevaluating her past before but that growth that was planted could truly sprout the Green Goblin came and crushes it.

Then we see when she was a teen she was arriving late to a science show that was covering 'radioactivity'. She was alone and didn't want to be seen or have her picture taken that might be placed in the papers as her 'friends' looked down upon anything science related telling Gwen she didn't need that 'geeky' stuff anymore now that she had 'developed'. Before entering the doors she saw some 'bad guys' taking an old man struggling.
    The 'old man' was there going to deliver his nephews lunch (Uncle Ben) that the nephew left in a rush to see the show himself. Ben wandered into a unauthorized location and saw by chance some thieves trying to steal some radioactive experimented on bugs (employed by Osborn to do so). Ben was caught and struggled with his captors who was taking him to their van and going to dispose of him someplace less public. But just as the bad guys got to their van Gwen who's inner child for danger and heroism thought long gone kicked in one more time in her life jumped them to get the old man free.

During the struggle Gwen was into the glass container filled with the experimented radioactive bugs that the thieves carefully collected and stored them in. All the bugs reacted to the chaos swarming her and biting her (expect for one bug, a spider, that scurried off instead back to the main expo event) and then died instantly falling or shaken off her. The thieves no longer having what they were assigned for decided to just get out of there and drove off failing their mission.

Ben picks up Gwen taking her to his car. Gwen in alot of pain and feeling strange asks to be taken home to rest despite the old man's advice to go to a hospital to be inspected. Gwen's logical side agrees but a new feeling inside that came with her strange feeling tells her not to do so but to sleep as soon as possible and uninterrupted instead. Gwen lies and tells him she will call for a ambulance and wait at the comfort of her place that she shares with her father who would be there (he isn't and Gwen doesn't). She falls onto her bed ready to have a long sleep (metamorphosis) but in mid sleep wakes up when the phone rings. Interrupting her sleep process that her body was telling her she needed to have but was blocked the pain dies down and some of the strangeness she was feeling becomes inert.

Some time later in her casket during her funeral as a speaker above states that Gwen can now after much turmoil "'rest' in peace" bugs start to emerge from her hair.

BANNED

Funny Thing is, the main reason I could get this would be seeing Jean DeWolff again^^

Inmortal Hulk and Excalibur variant

https://www.newsarama.com/48316-gwen...-variants.html

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Inmortal Hulk and Excalibur variant

https://www.newsarama.com/48316-gwen...-variants.html
    Hulk variant feels like a fitting horror tribute...Excalibur like a parody .

This sounds terrible. They're only gonna destroy this character more and more. 616 Gwen's revive is inevitable. *Puke*