Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
Gwen Stacy was fairly unpopular or at least divisive when she was alive.

Roger Stern had this to say:
"Gwen's Stacy death made her the holy version...this ideal woman for Peter...People who say that weren't around for the whole run. They've forgotten how nasty she was. She wasn't the most stable. She'd be all lovey-dovey one moment, and then hands-off the next. She was very strange. Just prior to her death, there was a long period when they were on the outs."
— Roger Stern Spider-Man Crawlspace Episode 37: Roger Stern Interview Pt. 2', Timestamp: 52:00 — 55:00

Stern was a regular reader and he had a good handle on continuity so he knows what he's talking about.

To be honest, I think the idea people had about Gwen's death being this great event and so on is because of Kurt Busiek-Alex Ross' MARVELS. I mean it had a backlash in the early-mid 70s among readers but people had well and truly moved past that. Then MARVELS came along and what that did was give validation to the people who were part of that backlash. It's a story that says that if you lost your s--t about Gwen's death, if you sent death threats to Conway, and harassed Stan Lee...then you were right to do so. Gerry Conway himself said in an interview that he had no idea how big a deal that story was until Marvels came out.

Among writers, Gwen's death and her importance is often a tool to enable the status-quo. A few writers elevate Gwen as "the one" or Peter's "perfect relationship" as a way to undermine Peter's relationship with MJ and others. This isn't really about Gwen as a character, it's so much as what her death itself perpetuates. And again, the actual intent of the story The Nigh Gwen Stacy Died is the opposite. No matter how low Peter gets, how much he hates himself, there is someone who will love him back, there is a silver lining or a light at the end of the tunnel. So that's why ASM#121, the substantively weaker issue gets elevated over the really great issue of ASM#122.
You are correct. There are basically four types of people who trash ASM 121. 1: Those who prefer Gwen. I am sure Emma Stone versus Kirsten Dunst plays a role in this. This does not bother me. As an MJ supporter, I have said it before and I will say it again, I prefer Stone to Dunst. Why? I think Dunst is too nice and sweet when it comes to MJ. The best MJ ( in my opinion) is one who can be feisty and fiery). 2: Those who do not like MJ because of her character. 3: Those who prefer someone else. It could be Felicia, Mary Jones Cindy or anyone except MJ or Gwen. 4: Those who want High School or man-child Pete and do not want him growing up and being with MJ or anyone. Those are the ones who use "Poor Gwen" as an tool to hold Pete back and love comics like BND.