Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    iMan 42s

Y'know I'm starting to think this might be one of the most poorly aged stories out there simply by virtue of the fact that Gwen's death is pretty much the only thing notable about it to the point it's practically what defines Gwen and arguably the Green Goblin. It's a story that exists these days for most writers being edgy writing Green Goblin and not knowing what else to do with Gwen. This is all with the benefit of hindsight but it's also what led to the Clone Saga and even Sins Past, and even a contributing factor in what killed the Amazing Spider-man movie franchise.

It's still a famous story for the right reasons, I wont deny that. But it's also the origin for a lot wrong with ASM.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Y'know I'm starting to think this might be one of the most poorly aged stories out there simply by virtue of the fact that Gwen's death is pretty much the only thing notable about it to the point it's practically what defines Gwen and arguably the Green Goblin. It's a story that exists these days for most writers being edgy writing Green Goblin and not knowing what else to do with Gwen. This is all with the benefit of hindsight but it's also what led to the Clone Saga and even Sins Past, and even a contributing factor in what killed the Amazing Spider-man movie franchise.

It's still a famous story for the right reasons, I wont deny that. But it's also the origin for a lot wrong with ASM.
    I disagree with this. First off, the reason why ASM 2 failed was Garfield as Peter ( which is why he was fired from the role). It was also inaccurate with the death of Gwen ( having Harry instead of Norman being responsible). Next, Clone Saga as well as Sins Past happened because of a fear of Marvel’s. A fear that the public would not accept a different Spider-Man ( Ben Reilly), a fear that the public would not accept Gwen’s kids being Peter’s. As history has shown, both were mistakes. The public will accept an alternative to Peter if he is well done (Miles), and Peter will still be accepted by the public, despite never be accused of being a virgin ( Felicia, Cindy, MJ to start). That same fear that we saw in Clone Saga is what we saw in OMD. What is it? The public would not accept Peter as an adult, so the marriage was ended. As we saw the newspaper strip and Renew Your Vows, that too was in error.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I disagree with this. First off, the reason why ASM 2 failed was Garfield as Peter ( which is why he was fired from the role). It was also inaccurate with the death of Gwen ( having Harry instead of Norman being responsible). Next, Clone Saga as well as Sins Past happened because of a fear of Marvel’s. A fear that the public would not accept a different Spider-Man ( Ben Reilly), a fear that the public would not accept Gwen’s kids being Peter’s. As history has shown, both were mistakes. The public will accept an alternative to Peter if he is well done (Miles), and Peter will still be accepted by the public, despite never be accused of being a virgin ( Felicia, Cindy, MJ to start). That same fear that we saw in Clone Saga is what we saw in OMD. What is it? The public would not accept Peter as an adult, so the marriage was ended. As we saw the newspaper strip and Renew Your Vows, that too was in error.
    Honestly, the problem I had was that it happened at all.

Other than that, the death scene was just that, a death scene.

A rant about Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a whole different issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Honestly, the problem I had was that it happened at all.

Other than that, the death scene was just that, a death scene.

A rant about Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a whole different issue.
    I have long believed that MJ was the one for Peter ( I have explained my reasoning before several times so there is no need to rehash). Here is the point about ASM 121. It worked. In fact, I will argue that it worked better then even Gerry Conway expected. Why? That story happened almost 50 years ago, and it is still being debated today. If Gwen would have been removed from the book ( like has happened to other characters down through the years ( starting with Betty), it would not be as controversial) especially because no one can name the issue prior to 121, where people said wow about Gwen ( unlike the “Jackpot” beginning of MJ that is considered classic). I understand she was not allowed to develop in a way that MJ was, but prior to Conway, Romita/Lee had plenty of time to develop her and for whatever reason decided not to. Why? My opinion has been that she was never going to be the one for Peter. Does that make it true? No it is just my opinion. But the fact still remains that since we are still debating the Pros and Cons of ASM 121, it worked brilliantly and is still working brilliantly today.

Spectacular Member

I think overall it was an incredible story. As a kid reading comic books, I always thought it was sunshine and rainbows until I read this comic. But unfortunately, the horrible story “Sins past” ruined it all for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    First off, the reason why ASM 2 failed was Garfield as Peter
    Completely unsubstantiated.