Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

There are a couple on this list I am shocked people mentioned. Like with Rocky. it was set up for a sequel. he barley lost in the first one and Creed said Aint going o be a rematch. I dont want one. That promises a part 2. And I was happy for it. Could have done with out the others. And the one where Rocky fights mason "The Line" Dixon. Cool name bad movie. And the Creed Just didnt buy into how a man who died in the 80s had a 20 something son this day in age when the movie came out. So I lost interest. Then I saw the movie and was like nope.

And the Hinger Games? it was a movie based on 3 books that sold very well. And the movie did very well. How is it a shock that it got a sequal?

Jurassic Park made bank at the box office and it had great reviews and people went nuts for it. I am shocked people on here mention it in a I cant believe it got a squeal thread.

One thing that did bug me. Those flying Dinos leaving the island at the end of part 3. But nothing ever got done with it. Nor was it talked about even a little in the next movie.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-06-2021 at 12:41 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Jurassic Park made bank at the box office and it had great reviews and people went nuts for it. I am shocked people on here mention it in a I cant believe it got a squeal thread.
    Suppose it depends if you think it "needed" a sequel. Personally, I think that the route it's going, making it a series was the best thing to happen to it.

One thing that did bug me. Those flying Dinos leaving the island at the end of part 3. But nothing ever got done with it. Nor was it talked about even a little in the next movie.
    Canon tie-ins established that Vic Hoskins from Jurassic World lead the team that collected them (that's how he got the job at the park). Recall that one of the non-canon Jurassic Park III sequel tie-in books did something with them, but it was kind of a Universal Studios park ad with some story stuff built around it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Suppose it depends if you think it "needed" a sequel. Personally, I think that the route it's going, making it a series was the best thing to happen to it.
    I get that. People may not think it needed a sequel. But the tittle of the thread is movies you are shocked got a sequel. There are a lot of movies people posted that got great reviews and made money. So I am shocked that so many people are surprised they got a sequel.

I think the Jurassic Park movies do work better as a series. Though some movies do go crazy with way too many sequels.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-07-2021 at 03:15 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BTW the reason The Lost World/JP III are set on an alternate island is that in the novel continuity, the Park is destroyed at the end by planes bombing it. Therefore, the novel sequel had to be on an alternate island (or on the mainland-the novel ends on a sort of cliffhanger stating that a number of Dinosaurs have appeared on the mainland-which happens earlier in the novel too and is more of a catalyst, probably by stowing away on boats that went from the island). Also the "Something has survived" tagline.

The movies on the other hand didn't do this but still went for the alternate island, although there is one deleted scene from TLW that mentioned that "Demolition, de-construction, and disposal of Isla Nublar facilities, organic and inorganic, one hundred and twenty-six million dollars.". However the JW films pretty much reveal that the original park was just kind of abandoned and walled off, and even some of the Dinosaurs from it were kept around for Jurassic World (The T-rex being a prime example) although it kind of makes you wonder why Ludow and co. didn't just go to the original park instead.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I'm still shocked Fast and the Furious became a franchise... REALLY?!
    Duuuude I've never agreed with you more
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yes, exactly! It was so perfectly on the nose for what it was, and then, in becoming the very thing, it was just eating it's own ass.
    It became a cinecentipede?
    GrindrStone(D)

American Pie
    National Lampoon

Retired

Even though I watched all the PITCH PERFECT movies on a binge, I can't say as I like any of them. There were some cute but corny bits in the first one, but it's like they tried to make the next movie worse than the one before. The whole idea of having some great a capella singing is the hook--but it's not great a capella singing. And I can't stand either Rebel Wilson or Adam Devine--they are the worst. I mainly was watching it for Brittany Snow and Anna Camp.

I don't understand why these movies were so popular--but that fact tells me something about what people think is good these days.

The Lawmower Man and Starship Troopers are two movies that should have never had a sequel

Harold and Kumar. We probably had enough of them the first time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I loved Tremors but I cant believe how many movies they had after based on Burt. Now I liked him but c'mon, lol.
    Doesn't qualify for this since the first one didn't set the box office on fire (more of a campy cult classic, I loved it as a kid) and the sequels were direct to video.

But as for why Burt became the main character, you can say the armed to the teeth escape scene from his house was one of the movie's highlights. And at least not actually giving a loaded weapon to the kid made his secluded, weapons hogging persona less... problematic.

Austin Powers. You can see from the ending of the first that the original was intended as a one and done and, in fact, it wasn't even a hit until it hit cable, prompting the sequels.
    Last edited by Mark Trail; 12-07-2021 at 08:14 PM.

Fast and Furious kind of became adaptable: It pretty much changed the formula from Point Break with cars to a more ensemble Ocean's Eleven with Cars to the current Mission Impossible with Cars. They even retconned the semi-self contained Tokyo Drift into part of the larger narrative.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

There are a couple on this list I am shocked people mentioned. Like with Rocky. it was set up for a sequel. he barley lost in the first one and Creed said Aint going o be a rematch. I dont want one. That promises a part 2.
    I don't think that's necessarily the case. At the time Rocky same out, sequels were the exception, not the rule and, further, the first Rocky was a low budget film, with an unknown star and (I think) a limited release at first. It was word of mouth that turned it into a hit and not at all something intended to be a studio tentpole.

Ultimate Member

There are a couple on this list I am shocked people mentioned. Like with Rocky. it was set up for a sequel. he barley lost in the first one and Creed said Aint going o be a rematch. I dont want one. That promises a part 2. And I was happy for it. Could have done with out the others. And the one where Rocky fights mason "The Line" Dixon. Cool name bad movie. And the Creed Just didnt buy into how a man who died in the 80s had a 20 something son this day in age when the movie came out. So I lost interest. Then I saw the movie and was like nope.

And the Hinger Games? it was a movie based on 3 books that sold very well. And the movie did very well. How is it a shock that it got a sequal?

Exactly.

Not to mention that Jurassic Park (the novel) actually had a sequel named "The Lost World: Jurassic Park".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Even though I watched all the PITCH PERFECT movies on a binge, I can't say as I like any of them. There were some cute but corny bits in the first one, but it's like they tried to make the next movie worse than the one before. The whole idea of having some great a capella singing is the hook--but it's not great a capella singing. And I can't stand either Rebel Wilson or Adam Devine--they are the worst. I mainly was watching it for Brittany Snow and Anna Camp.

I don't understand why these movies were so popular--but that fact tells me something about what people think is good these days.
    Because at the time the movies came out, most of us had no idea that wasn't good acapella singing--we hadn't been exposed to it much. But as a result of this movie, I was introduced to a bunch of great acapella groups. (especially after all the cameos in the 2nd one)

I don't see why it would be any different than a sports movie--where the quality of the sport on TV is never nearly as good as the level that it's portraying. The PP series did provide exposure to acapella groups, which was very nice.

I also agree with you every movie was worse than the previous one.