Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Movies you cant believe got sequels or became trilogies

First off, NOT asking about direct to video/DVD stuff (the list would then be never ending), but actual theatrical releases.

What got me thinking was seeing LONDON HAS FALLEN playing as i channel surfed today.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the first movie, but thought WHITE HOUSE DOWN was way more fun, and thought for sure, of the two, IT would get a sequel.
    Never happened.
    But we’re on our third FALLEN movie.
    I mean, i’ve never heard anyone online or IRL rave about these movies. I actually saw a lot of negative chat on the second installment.
    So, are these movies really inexpensive to make? Does someone owe Gerard Butler a favor? I dunno, but yeah, i’m definitely surprised this became a trilogy.

Pixar's Cars. Considering the sales of merchandise, it probably makes sense. But for the movies themselves, I guess the only reason they got made was because they were John Lasseter's pet projects. Can't see any other reason.

Astonishing Member

Weekend at Bernies

Corpses are so fun you need more than one movie to document it.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Final Destination

Extraordinary Member

Jaws, The Ring, and Jurassic Park

The original films were all incredible films and did not need any sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Jaws, The Ring, and Jurassic Park

The original films were all incredible films and did not need any sequels.
    To be fair, Spielberg does kind of set up for a sequel with the aerosal can, although none of the sequels did follow up on it with the exception of a video game.

Funny thing is, the original Jurassic Park novel ended with a different ending, the island was destroyed but several Dinosaurs have made it onto the mainland as stowaways. Crichton didn't really follow up on that cliffhanger either (There's a beached Dino corpse that washes up but that's as close as it gets), instead bringing people to another island (and spielberg followed suit), although the concept of Dinosaurs escaping was used in the movie version of TLW and of course "Fallen Kingdom" opened the floodgates on that one.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-13-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Terminator. Never, ever should have been a third movie, let alone all these others. 2 is easily where the franchise should have ended.

Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer. After everyone hated the first I just can't fathom how it got made.

Independence Day. 20 years too late.

The Hobbit. I liked this trilogy, but it really should not have been 3 movies.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I would say The Hobbit movies are the worst example of Franchise Abuse I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

The Hobbit. I liked this trilogy, but it really should not have been 3 movies.
    The way the LOTR trilogy had a huge boxed set special edition release with all the extra exctended scenes added.
    I wish they'd release "special edition" of the Hobbit with all the extra (that wasn't in the book) trilogy stuff removed, and reduced to one single movie.
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-24-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Weekend at Bernies

Corpses are so fun you need more than one movie to document it.
    Hey, don't knock Zombie Bernie!

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'm shocked the franchise didn't go direct to video after the third film.
    I'm surprised it didn't go to Direct To Video WITH the third film. But I'm not surprised about the 4th- that was marketed as the return of the original cast. There was no way that would have been DTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Not to mention that Jurassic Park (the novel) actually had a sequel named "The Lost World: Jurassic Park".
    IIRC, Michael Crichton wrote the sequel because he knew they were making a sequel to the movie.

The detective--Think it's a one shot film but it's sequel was one of the biggest action films of all time! Frank wasn't even it but they did ask. He turned it down but due to his contract made money off the profits of all sequels! He made a killing from the film. They ended up making 5 sequels!

Also i surprised they made 4 house movies. Tone all over the place. First a scary mystery with some comedy. Second a kids movie. Third a dark R rated scary movie. 4th a ghost mystery. Huh?
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-11-2021 at 08:05 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    First off, NOT asking about direct to video/DVD stuff (the list would then be never ending), but actual theatrical releases.

What got me thinking was seeing LONDON HAS FALLEN playing as i channel surfed today.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the first movie, but thought WHITE HOUSE DOWN was way more fun, and thought for sure, of the two, IT would get a sequel.
    Never happened.
    But we’re on our third FALLEN movie.
    I mean, i’ve never heard anyone online or IRL rave about these movies. I actually saw a lot of negative chat on the second installment.
    So, are these movies really inexpensive to make? Does someone owe Gerard Butler a favor? I dunno, but yeah, i’m definitely surprised this became a trilogy.
    I’m surprise these Fallen movies has gotten three movies and all are bad.
    White House Down was a much better movie and should have gotten the sequels instead.