Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The Purge. Like, one movie is enough to get how this world works.

On the other side of the same Ethan Hawke, Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight is a pleasant candidate for this topic. Can't believe we got a sequel, but glad that it became a trilogy.
    I came here to say the Purge as well so lol.

Retired

So the production budget for THE PURGE (2013) was three million dollars and it made ninety million dollars worldwide. This is how Blumhouse has stayed in business--low budgets, high profits.

HAPPY DEATH DAY is a Blumhouse movie that didn't need a sequel, but I'm happy that it got one, because the sequel was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Liked them myself.

Frankly, the only examples I can think of are direct-to-video at the moment.
    Honestly, the book itself is barely long enough for a single film. But stretching it out into 3? A lot of stuff was shoved in there that didn't even exist in the book. Like the Elf woman, Legolas (not to mention him being a center of attention), etc. Oh, and can't forget when the Elven and Dwarven armies clashed. They never did so in the book. The army of Goblins popped up before they could draw swords on one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Wasn't Kevin Smith going to relaunch this? What became of it?
    He wrote a script but the network turned it down. I assume the same must have happened to his Sam and twitch show for Syfy

Not much to add at the moment. but to agree, Highlander should have been one film only and The Hobbit should have been two films, not a trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Not much to add at the moment. but to agree, Highlander should have been one film only and The Hobbit should have been two films, not a trilogy.
    I agree about Highlander. Believe it or not, Highlander was made at a time when it wasn't assumed you were building a franchise! That story had an ending. Re-imagining the premise for tv or another film is one thing, but Connor McLoed's story was done and it was too big a hurdle to try to extend that story.

Incredible Member

with horror movies , as long as they make a good profit , expect them to poop up sequels till the well is truly dry. look at the saw franchise , there's 8 of them i think.

While I still like Machete and am also a fan of the second film, I still have a tough time figuring out how the second film got made.

Marvel? (likely just temporarily licensed it)

Moonstone had a prequel comic...?

Quote Originally Posted by LordLeviathan View Post
    from what I know and understand the right ownership is a mess
    Who owns (is licensing out) the rights?
    Or I guess better question what parties are disputing rights?

Or is it cause Spielberg/Amblin now claim ownership of the Oscillation Overthruster, I mean Flux Capacitor? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    He wrote a script but the network turned it down.
    Citation, Link , thanks!
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-20-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I still like Machete and am also a fan of the second film, I still have a tough time figuring out how the second film got made.
    I think because they're crazy cheap to make

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Not much to add at the moment. but to agree, Highlander should have been one film only
    I agree about Highlander. Believe it or not, Highlander was made at a time when it wasn't assumed you were building a franchise! That story had an ending. ... Connor McLoed's story was done and it was too big a hurdle to try to extend that story.
    What's the problem?

Step 1. Bring back the very dead and headless Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez and undo his story arc, purpose and very satisfying end.
    Step 2. To achieve that, ignore the 'rules' established in the first, throw out nearly the entire premise and ultimate goal and drive of the entire first film.
    Step 3. Insert something it never needed - an "Explanation" ....they are now aliens!
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-24-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

The Hobbit. I liked this trilogy, but it really should not have been 3 movies.
    The way the LOTR trilogy had a huge boxed set special edition release with all the extra exctended scenes added.
    I wish they'd release "special edition" of the Hobbit with all the extra (that wasn't in the book) trilogy stuff removed, and reduced to one single movie.
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-24-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Resident Evil. How the hell did it get six movies? They were all trash.

Ghost Rider.

If spin-offs count then Daredevil and Elektra.

... any number of horror franchises fits this bill...