Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default So, um... can we talk about the Wakanda/Krakoa conflict?

So a rich white man of self-proclaimed superior race wants to oust the legitimate government of an African nation that takes white imperialism so seriously they don't give out the cure for cancer for not making an alliance with him?

...We're SUPPOSED to feel uncomfortable by this, right?

BANNED

T’Challa is a menace to mutants, who at one point banned the entire race from entering the country because of the sins of one. Off with his head!

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    T’Challa is a menace to mutants, who at one point banned the entire race from entering the country because of the sins of one. Off with his head!
    Do we even count Namor as a mutant? Every time he gets involved with the X-Men, it ends horribly for mutants in general.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Do we even count Namor as a mutant?
    Depends on what week it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Do we even count Namor as a mutant? Every time he gets involved with the X-Men, it ends horribly for mutants in general.
    The importance is that the “enlightened” despot of Wakanda sees him as one, despite razing the country using his Atlantean powers and army.

Astonishing Member

Do you have a source for where it’s said Wakanda had banned ALL mutants from the kingdom? My understanding was that the X-Men were banned after they were allied with Namor when he basically launched a WMD on the capital. Banning a group of mutants who the government deems potential threats is not the same as banning all members of a subspecies. Namor is a foreign mutant king, it doesn’t make sense for Wakanda to treat their own native-born mutants worse because of an Atlantean (who Wakanda had issues with even before AvX). Given the scale of his attack it’s actually very likely that Wakandan mutants died because of Namor.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Do you have a source for where it’s said Wakanda had banned ALL mutants from the kingdom? My understanding was that the X-Men were banned after they were allied with Namor when he basically launched a WMD on the capital. Banning a group of mutants who the government deems potential threats is not the same as banning all members of a subspecies. Namor is a foreign mutant king, it doesn’t make sense for Wakanda to treat their own native-born mutants worse because of an Atlantean (who Wakanda had issues with even before AvX). Given the scale of his attack it’s actually very likely that Wakandan mutants died because of Namor.
    While I agree with the sentiment - there were no Wakandan mutants at the time. This was before the X-Gene got Phoenix'd.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    there were no ban of all mutants. this is a myth. only the xmen were not welcome. tchalla was married to a mutant who has been worshipped as a goddess and one of his closest allies, eden, is a mutant. dont fall for the hype. lol
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

It's so weird how one sentence got blown up like this. Maybe I missed something but is there even a conflict? Xavier made an offer, Wakanda passed. Simple and done. I read it as T'Challa was more indifferent than anything else.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaceWindu View Post
    It's so weird how one sentence got blown up like this. Maybe I missed something but is there even a conflict? Xavier made an offer, Wakanda passed. Simple and done. I read it as T'Challa was more indifferent than anything else.
    exactly. nothing to see here.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Wakanda shooting mutant kids out of the sky solely because of their DNA AFTER the X-gene was restarted with the king looking on satisfied. Storm is good for a lay every now and then but if the going gets rough, she gets shot out of the sky (also reminiscent of whenever he locked her up in a power-dampening room after "acting up")

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I think a conflict of interest is inevitable. I await a meeting between Wakandan officials and The Krakoan representatives. The question could be is this a conflict of individual vs collective or nature vs nurture? Some territories may feel they don't need to accept the Krakoan deal because mutants are not hunted and targeted for extinction. So Wakanda and other nations could view any Black Market activities within their territories as hostile. What happens if a mutant in Wakanda wants refuge but breaks a law in a country not aligned with the deal?

Wakanda could also form their own team of Wakandan born mutants as a group that rallies support for Wakanda and having a defense force against the Maruaders. This could get messy for the X-men. Now what happens if a young mutant is being held against their will by someone using them for their own gains? The X-men freeing them and providing safety could be spun as a kidnapping? If it happens i hope we get good complex build up to this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I think a conflict of interest is inevitable. I await a meeting between Wakandan officials and The Krakoan representatives. The question could be is this a conflict of individual vs collective or nature vs nurture? Some territories may feel they don't need to accept the Krakoan deal because mutants are not hunted and targeted for extinction. So Wakanda and other nations could view any Black Market activities within their territories as hostile. What happens if a mutant in Wakanda wants refuge but breaks a law in a country not aligned with the deal?

Wakanda could also form their own team of Wakandan born mutants as a group that rallies support for Wakanda and having a defense force against the Maruaders. This could get messy for the X-men. Now what happens if a young mutant is being held against their will by someone using them for their own gains? The X-men freeing them and providing safety could be spun as a kidnapping? If it happens i hope we get good complex build up to this issue?
    All interesting questions that will be explored hopefully in the future, by Hickman himself or another talented X-writer if possible.
    My understanding of the Marauders is that they aren't officially tied to Krakoa in order to avoid international fallout whenever they operate in foreign countries.
    Eventhough it's paperthin defense given all the members are known X-Men associates or mutants who operate with their identities on full display, we can at least assume for now they won't stir trouble for their leaders for the time being.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Also I don't recall anyone saying Krakoa was trying to oust the government of Wakanda

Quote Originally Posted by MaceWindu View Post
    Much more likely...writers just like throwing around the word 'vibranium'. It's a buzz word, more exciting than saying something's made out of titanium or whatever.
    Normally I would agree but Hickman tends to choose his words wisely.

They’ve had the cure for cancer for quite a while.
    Well that's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    XForce script confirmed there was a Wakandan woman among the guys who skinned Domino.
    Percy did specifically mention someone at the table "wearing something Wakandan". Perhaps a rogue element is smuggling vibranium out.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!