Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Is the End near for Days of Our Lives ?

The end could be coming according to TVLine.com as the article i linked claims. Days ratings are down and the cast has been all let go of their contracts due to the ongoing renewal talks between NBC and Corday Productions. The old soap has been a staple of daytime TV for a few generations and looks to be limping to a possible end come summer 2020 (when the last new episodes air).

This is more sad if it goes as Days of Our Lives was a comical sensation back in 1990's when I was in High School. The series hired a writer who decided to do a funny demon possession storyline mixed with a clone saga nod (John Black). The whole deal even had this character seemingly inspired by the Jackal who was doing all this in Stefano.

https://tvline.com/2019/11/12/days-o...red-season-56/

The entire arc became something I remember girls in my VoTec class loving to watch as they'd detail who everyone was to us guys watching. We'd share laughs over it as Marlena acted goofy crazy and more. Those were the days.

Anyhow if Days is ending in 2020 , it will end after 6+ decades on the air and 14,000+ episodes by that time.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

NBC needs the time slot for the 7th hour of the today show.

I used to watch this every day after school with my mom, along with Another World (in the summer). I have vivid memories of the clone saga, Marlena's possession, Hope 'dying' in a cave by Stefano, Hope coming back as an amnesiac, and a disaster arc with I think Julie stuck in an elevator. Good times

Niffleheim

I'm surprised it's still on tv all my life I've listened to my family moaning about the show has being on the verge of cancellation
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I heard the entire cast was just laid off..........but they have finished taping for the season and this break was planned.

I was also thinking that with the time jump, perhaps this was a way to throw fans off?

I thought the show had been approved until 2021, but maybe not?

Actors and Ron Carlivati are saying its not true.

I'm not a regular follower of the show (only daytime soap I watch, regardless of quality, is General Hospital), but someone on another messageboard said that "this is their regular time of the year that they go on hiatus maybe it's just 'fodder' to keep them in the news?".

Astonishing Member

From what I understand, they are 8 months ahead. The show isn't cancelled (yet), and the break is planned and taking a hiatus is just one way to save money.

But because of the length of the break and that talks are still ongoing, it's the right thing to let them out of their contracts and there's enough uncertainty about the future, it will likely be renewed but they might have to let people go to save money. The younger actors can probably get other gigs.

If they were ending it, they would probably make it a major event, bring back old stars, etc and give it a proper ending.

Extraordinary Member

No it was a misleading story. Days films 8 months in advance. They have a massive backlog of episodes. Right now they are negotiating for an extension and they want I trim down the backlog so they are releasing actors and renegotiating with them and allowing them to do whatever they want for a few months.

Interestingly we now have nighttime soaps that don't appear to be soaps.
    Anytime you watch a drama that starts with 'Previously on...', you're watching a soap.
    They've been increasing in popularity since Walking Dead and Empire.

I don't think daytime soaps are failing because of content.
    I think they're failing because of the time of day they play (as most people work these days, and there's no interesting programs surrounding them in the schedule) and being daily (no one would want to sit through five episodes to catch up if they had a busy week).

Watching Empire or Riverdale, or even Walking Dead, is a lot more forgiving in regards to your personal life and commitment to watching.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

I miss those times where daytime soaps were a big deal with huge budgets and great writers. I miss As The Worlds Turns, Guiding Light, Another World, All My Children, and One Life To Live.

But then I watch the shambles that is The Young And The Restless and see how far down the tubes it's gotten and realize that the hey-day of great soaps may most definitely be behind us for good.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

About 16 years ago, Days did a serial killer storyline (Melaswen Island = New Salem backwards). I'm pretty sure the cast's contracts were dropped sort of as a stunt back then, as well. I really didn't put much stock in the story even before the actors were denying it.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

My favorite Days of Our Lives memory is .. an episode of Friends.

But I grew up with the show on while my mom did ironing and stuff.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Interestingly we now have nighttime soaps that don't appear to be soaps.
    Anytime you watch a drama that starts with 'Previously on...', you're watching a soap.
    They've been increasing in popularity since Walking Dead and Empire.

I don't think daytime soaps are failing because of content.
    I think they're failing because of the time of day they play (as most people work these days, and there's no interesting programs surrounding them in the schedule) and being daily (no one would want to sit through five episodes to catch up if they had a busy week).

Watching Empire or Riverdale, or even Walking Dead, is a lot more forgiving in regards to your personal life and commitment to watching.

Maybe soaps should move to streaming services so people can see them at their convenience and binge watch if they want.

Man I grew up with this show, both my grandma and my mom watched it, and my mom still does. That said reading the article it doesn't sound like cancelation is imminent yet.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I don't think it's canceled sources say NBC doesn't want to cancel the show and actors deny being fired.

Days films crazy ahead like 6 to 7 months which writers for years have complained it doesn't allow them to course correct storylines so right now Days it taking a 4 month hiatus to close the gap and it seems they released contracts just to save money for the next 4 month's.