Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Superman 17 Dicussion (Truth Prelude)

This was a cool down issue after everything that has been going on in the past year for Superman. Lots of good moments here, it was nice to see Clark and Lois actually get a chance to breather throughout all of the dramatic things that has happpened to them lately. It ws nice to see them actually taking a moment to digest the changes that have been going on in their lives and we get to see a glimpse of just why Clark felt now is the time to reveal his truth.

What did other thinks?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This was maybe my favorite issue of Superman in a very long time as far as this run goes.

The opening was *exactly* what I needed it to be after issue 15. Maguire's facial work just makes everything so great. And I kind loved how Lois sums up what's happened to Clark. And I think I'll always appreciate how much trust Bendis has Lois and Clark put into one another.

I'm so happy to hear more from STAR labs! I dig where things seem to be heading with them, and at we've likely found a foil for Jon's Superman.

God, the ending on New Krypton was just perfection. I don't care what anyone says. Perfection. I mean, right of the bat you know I loved casual cross galaxy flight. This new direction for Zod is great. I dig how it's very distinctive how he bounces off both Kal and Kara. There's stuff to mine there. And that 4 panel Zod face needs to find its way to becoming a meme.

So, is he about to discuss the whole president thing and secret identity thing with Zod and Kara?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Jeez, is Bendis not keeping an eye on other books? I spotted FOUR mistakes on the spread showing Superman observing the other heroes. The first three are script errors, but the last may be the artist's fault.

Mistake #1, Shazam was shown stopping a lorry so an old lady could cross the road. But he's currently under the thrall of the Batman Who Laughs! Mistake #2, Cyborg. He's currently brainwashed too, as one of Darkseid's New Gods! Mistake #3, Alfred, shown alive when the Batman comic recently killed him off.

Mistake #4, which is unforgivable since another Bendis title is involved, is Tim Drake being shown as Robin. Dialogue later in the issue confirms that this is after Young Justice come home from Earth-3 (plus, the most recent YJ is set immediately after Naomi's recent appearance in Action Comics, so this is clearly after that anyway), so he should be in his new brown Drake costume. Why didn't Bendis make sure the artist was up to date?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ha! Anyone else catch the homage to the orginal story of Superman Red and Superman Blue?

Check out Ursa's dress. Also obviously the Zods and the Els are mirror families like Red and Blue. Red even moves to New Krypton while Blue stays on Earth.

As I recall, either during his Reddit AMA or one of his "takeovers" on the DC insta, Bendis brought up this imaginary story. Pretty cool to see how he remixed it.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jeez, is Bendis not keeping an eye on other books? I spotted FOUR mistakes on the spread showing Superman observing the other heroes. The first three are script errors, but the last may be the artist's fault.

Mistake #1, Shazam was shown stopping a lorry so an old lady could cross the road. But he's currently under the thrall of the Batman Who Laughs! Mistake #2, Cyborg. He's currently brainwashed too, as one of Darkseid's New Gods! Mistake #3, Alfred, shown alive when the Batman comic recently killed him off.

Mistake #4, which is unforgivable since another Bendis title is involved, is Tim Drake being shown as Robin. Dialogue later in the issue confirms that this is after Young Justice come home from Earth-3 (plus, the most recent YJ is set immediately after Naomi's recent appearance in Action Comics, so this is clearly after that anyway), so he should be in his new brown Drake costume. Why didn't Bendis make sure the artist was up to date?
    genuinely can’t tell if you are trolling or just making pointless nitpicks and missing the point of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    genuinely can’t tell if you are trolling or just making pointless nitpicks and missing the point of the page.
    It’s the CBR forums so why not both lol.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I fell behind on Superman for the last year. Sorry to interrupt the topic but is this a good point to jump back on? And if the back issues are necessary, are they worth it? I was digging Superman more than Action Comics at the time, though I was confused as to which was happening first.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I fell behind on Superman for the last year. Sorry to interrupt the topic but is this a good point to jump back on? And if the back issues are necessary, are they worth it? I was digging Superman more than Action Comics at the time, though I was confused as to which was happening first.
    Well, what issue did you stop at?

I'd say issue 13 is about as okay a place to jump back on as it can get with this run. From issue 10 to 15 is kind of one continues story though, so just be mindful of that. But you're smart, I'm sure you'll put it all together enough to enjoy, and what you miss you can always just ask around here.

Another option would be to just start from this issue though. It's mostly doing its own thing, but it does directly follow up on plots from the like the whole run so far. Again, ask around if you have any trouble.

My advice would be not to worry about what's happening first till it's expressed that you need to know. Like the upcoming issue of Superman and Action will like of tie-in together, but normally you're good.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-13-2019 at 09:06 AM.

This was a solid start to this arc. I'm not a big fan of Maguire's as others are - I generally like the expressiveness he gives faces, but they always seem to come off more sarcastic than intended.

The Lois & Clark scene was pretty good. The way he handled the box from Luthor and Lois' reaction to it works well I think. The off panel discussion between Lois & Clark about the ID reveal is something I think I'd rather have seen on panel - Rucka's apparently not planning on showing it either, but that flight they take is apparently where it happens. The Zod and Supergirl stuff worked for me as well. I really do like this take on Zod. Zod as a one note villain is kinda played out, so this take of him as Clark's Magneto is working for me a lot. I'm glad Bendis just seems to be telling his story with only slight nods to things allowing for use of Supergirl outside from the Year of the Villain nonsense.

I'm thinking the box may actually be something concerning Leone's connection to the invisible Mafia. Lois said it's something she has to publish in the Planet and Bendis has said it gets opened in Action 1018 - so maybe Lois blows that up and that is part of the reason Leone is ok with taking the IM public now.

Mighty Member

Ever since the Unity Saga (I believe?) I don't see much use for Zod as a villain anymore. I like that Zod is trying to rehabilitate (even if Kara is understandably cynical about it), this could very much well be great character growth for Zod. That's something that villains don't get very often with the exception of Venom, Sabertooth, Magneto and Black Adam.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Zod playing Magneto to Kal’s Xavier in New Krypton was his best characterization. I’m all for that getting another try.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Zod playing Magneto to Kal’s Xavier in New Krypton was his best characterization. I’m all for that getting another try.
    I may have missed out on that one. Would have to check it out. I like General Zod as a villain but don't get me wrong, a villain with only one goal in mind could be really boring at times.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

If this run ends with a reformed Zod doing Kara's hair while they discuss current events, I'm going to buy the omnibus.

Jokes aside, this was a fun issue. It was great seeing Clark unable to put the issue of Lex down despite his best efforts... That said, I'm interested in how Bendis figures Clark outing himself affecting Kara more than others. Let's see where this goes.

Maguire was on-point this issue, but I've always been fond of his work and this issue was no exception.

SO.. Leviathan saying that he will reveal all the world secrets is the reason because superman decided that?

Even with that Superman is not the only in danger.. Batman and the rest of heroes too..