THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Event Leviathan issue #6 discussion (spoilers)

What can I say? I'm genuinely disappointed in this issue as a solvable mystery. I mean, almost paradoxically it was guessed correctly a while a go, but that required a wiki dive, and that basically made the suspect list the entire length of the DCU. At the very least Bendis was gracious enough to have Superman basically go "wait...who?" along with everyone else who didn't go swimming in the DCU wiki pool for answers. And if I'm being honest, I'm kind of disappointed where Leviathan in terms of his next move.

But I'd rather not bellyache about that anymore. It's over. It happened. But there's so much more that seems to be coming out of this issue. Apparently there's some news that's gonna drop later today. I also wanna see who joined Leviathan given who we see talking to him at the end there.

Really enjoyed how the whole book basically rounds off with Lois getting something published. That was a really nice way to frame the whole climax. And the art was absolutely out of this world.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Considering who's talking with Leviathan at the end, I suspect that a lot of the "smaller" heroes/vigilantes of the DCU will have found a new home with him. Tiger , Bronze Tiger, the Skull Girls, most of the former DEO/ARGUS and perhaps even a wider range of low-powered to non-powered heroes (and villains?) will probably bolster his ranks.

I'm just disappointed by who he is... because of you Superlad93 ! You and you pesky theories ! If you hadn't been here, I would've gotten away with it ! Damn kids and your stupid dog !

Wait a minute. The last bit may be Scooby-Doo related.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

It was a fine reveal, a lot of the hype was deflated because so many people guessed it already. Overall, it was a good story and I'm happy to see Talia get a role that isn't just being purely evil for once. I hope in whatever the sequel to this story is, we get to see her and silencer more.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm just disappointed by who he is... because of you Superlad93 ! You and you pesky theories ! If you hadn't been here, I would've gotten away with it ! Damn kids and your stupid dog !
    Well excuse me thinking we were gonna get an identity reveal with some punch to it lol

But seriously though, did Leviathan's teleport tech being time and space related in nature really amount to *just* glorified teleport tech rather than any larger clue? That maybe bummed me out the most honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It was a fine reveal, a lot of the hype was deflated because so many people guessed it already. Overall, it was a good story and I'm happy to see Talia get a role that isn't just being purely evil for once. I hope in whatever the sequel to this story is, we get to see her and silencer more.
    My only thing was that it just wasn't really fair if you were *just* reading the books and not diving into wikis or coming in already knowing about Shaw. But I'm not really trippin over it that much. The book was still a good time, and this was fun climax. I even dug learning about the Manhunters, and how Bendis juxtaposed them next to the DCU Earth.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-13-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Leviathan should be an arc on Action Comics or Superman, not need to be this mini event. Anyway, I liked.

As always with Bendis, the most common and simplistic guess tends to be the correct one lol. Overall I thought this mini was fine, it presents some good ideas although the execution was lacking, just like Secret Invasion. I hope to see outside media adapt this storyline and hopefully better storytellers than Bendis will be able to reach this story’s full potential, like when EMH adapted Secret Invasion and did a better job of it.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

It hyped me for Action Comics.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I can't believe superlad got obito'ed. That's hilarious.for those of you who don't know. There were guys basically saying masked madara/tobi was future sasuke and other things. But, couple of guys actually predicted it was obito from his name .

BANNED

Bendis strikes out again at a event book. This is just more of a dose of HIC though the antagonist at least doesn't suffer from same level of character assassination as Wally did since he was kind of on the fringe almost from the very beginning. Disappointing read and the continuation of the thread into action where no doubt the Leviathan and the invisible mafia wil clash doesn't seem a particularly strong premise. It would be great if someone does a one shot dealing with the aftermath of the event detailing the effect of the absence of the agencies, the result of some major spies/heroes defecting to Leviathan, the response from the various governments etc.

Spectacular Member

Another Bendis hype event zzzzzzzz............

Astonishing Member

I sort of breathed a sigh of relief when the reveal hit because it was too late for a game-changer. Like, the story continues and nothing is finished but at least this one sets up or revives a character and "earns" it as much as it can and lays out a path for future stories with that as opposed to setting up a long-running conflagration out-of-the-blue without having earned it. That's my takeaway, it might have been barely, but I felt like reading it that at least the reveal felt, skating by, skin of its teeth, an earned choice.

I get the choice, I can work with the choice in my own head, and I think it was a fair choice. Although it does ironically paint Kate Spencer's entire involvement in the story arc as just like ... a little too overt. I think that's why he tried to bring in such a random odd mish-mash of other characters as well throughout Action and then moving into this mini, but it didn't matter much - she still kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't think it was that deep of a wiki dive because it was guaranteed to be somebody VERY closely tied to one of our "main team of detectives".

Kudos to the correct guessers! Nice work.

I do think Bendis alerting anybody to the hints in that Kamandi storyline probably was the closest thing to just spilling the beans, in hindsight.

There's plenty to critique about the single issue and overall series (they wrapped up the ending in hindsight with Superman just explaining it to Lois after it already happened, which always feels like anticlimax whenever I read it - EVEN in my most cherished Batman Incorporated, "Dark Knight vs. Devil's Daughter" finale - the last Leviathan Finale, when it's Bruce recounting "how it ended" to Gordon, I thought ... oh man, take us right out of being "in it" story-wise. Instead of along for the ride, we're already at the destination and somebody is telling us how great the ride was. It's an over-used trope that doesn't feel very good.

And we didn't actually get any realistic idea of what the land-scape of the DCU spy/clandestine world looks like now other than an implication that "lots" of people jumped onto Leviathan's grand plans.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com