Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Morbius ongoing

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    have Morbius's powers been clarified? It seems like over the years he was incrementally given more "supernatural" based powers even though his mutation's origin was (allegedly) science-based. Currently, does he have "true flight" or is it gliding only (and how, if he doesn't have the outfit with the cape/wings)? I also remember by the early 90s him having hypnotism power (again, how?).
    His current batty appearance aside, Morbius's powers have consistently been super strength, quick speed, enhanced senses, his fangs, and his claws. We've actually seen a lot of his very recent appearances really use his claws, which have been shown to sheer metal.

His "flight" is also a consistent power, as well as his hypnosis, but how they're portrayed changes dramatically from writer to writer.

Morbius can fly/glide because he has hollow bones, like a bird. It should be noted that real bays do not have hollow bones, just adorably small and delicate ones. Some writers have also attributed his gliding to some sort of psychic ability that allows him to better detect and control air currents. This sort of goes into his hypnosis, which has been portrayed as anything from just being a bit persuasive to full blown mind control.

Really, how these powers are used really depends on the writer and what they want with Morbius.

I just read the first three issues. I love the fact that The Melter is in this and hope he sticks around. He is in way over his head dealing with something he never has before. At least that I can remember. And seeing Spiderman in his element as a scientist was great.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I just read the first three issues. I love the fact that The Melter is in this and hope he sticks around. He is in way over his head dealing with something he never has before. At least that I can remember. And seeing Spiderman in his element as a scientist was great.
    Yeah, seeing the Melter just not know what's going on has been fun. Other people have tried to weaponize Morbius's disease in the past, but, again, this is a pretty unstable disease. Was his plan to kidnap Morbius and then sell him?

I'm sure there would be a buyer, but think the people who would pay for Morbius, like the real vampires or AIM or HYDRA or Orchis. They'd probably kill the Melter.

Would be kind of cool in The melter injected himself with a serum that turned him into a vampire. At least one for a bit. Then he could be a vampire with his melting weapon. That would be great.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Would be kind of cool in The melter injected himself with a serum that turned him into a vampire. At least one for a bit. Then he could be a vampire with his melting weapon. That would be great.
    Because Morbius's serum isn't really fueled by bad magic, blood, or rabies-cancer. No, what it's truly fueled by is bad decision making.

Also, did we not have a comic not that long ago where Morbius turned someone? I wish they would come to a consensus on that.

Extraordinary Member

I haven't seen anyone notice this, but on the cover of the New Warriors book, one of the new kids has a costume very similar to Morbius's. And they have pale skin and pointy ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I haven't seen anyone notice this, but on the cover of the New Warriors book, one of the new kids has a costume very similar to Morbius's. And they have pale skin and pointy ears.
    I see who you're talking about. If the character is a vampire a potential Morbius cameo would be interesting.

Extraordinary Member

They definitely look closer to a pseudo-vampire than a true vsmpire, but that leads to just how they got that way. And that would imply that Morbius attacked them.

Extraordinary Member

This issue was fun. Still felt really short, but I don't find myself hating Elizabeth surprisingly. Even her ridiculous outfit makes a little more sense here.

But damn, did she really think shooting Morbius like that was going to kill him?

This issue was fun. Still felt really short, but I don't find myself hating Elizabeth surprisingly. Even her ridiculous outfit makes a little more sense here.

But damn, did she really think shooting Morbius like that was going to kill him?
    Same. Strongest issue yet, even if Elizabeth's while deal is pretty cliche. I liked seeing what the Melter was doing as the close to this issue.

-Pav, who is happy not be a Rat Man...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Same. Strongest issue yet, even if Elizabeth's while deal is pretty cliche. I liked seeing what the Melter was doing as the close to this issue.

-Pav, who is happy not be a Rat Man...
    I love Melter's logic there: I can cure leukemia if I turn people into rats! Genius!

And I'm sorry, but did any of those random gang members even have leukemia?

Normally, I'd consider this bad writing, but the utter insanity of this whole thing just makes it too much fun!

And yet, I have a bad feeling about where it's heading.

Popping in to say how much I continue to enjoy reading this comic. This was my favorite issue so far!
    I really enjoy reading about Elizabeth, and was genuinely worried about her being killed, and that's despite me knowing about how comics work. I agree that it was stupid of her to think that she could kill Morbius that way.

I love Melter's logic there: I can cure leukemia if I turn people into rats! Genius!

And I'm sorry, but did any of those random gang members even have leukemia?

Normally, I'd consider this bad writing, but the utter insanity of this whole thing just makes it too much fun!

And yet, I have a bad feeling about where it's heading.

I feel the same way about this, except for the bad writing part.
    The rat idea that Melter came up with to deal with leukemia really was genius. Some really fun and insane writing And really, I've enjoyed Melter throughout this series.

Extraordinary Member

I'm just trying to figure out the rat thing. Like, is he just throwing together whatever animal parts he can here? What is with that? Not that I'm against filling New York City with crazed rodent mutant people, but still...

Also, I'm sorry, but batty-Morbius just looks adorable.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

This quarantine life has me catching up on my back log of reading. Last night I knocked out Morbius #4&5

I AM LOVING THIS SERIES. Both glad and happy to have the time to catch up. Loving the science gone wrong angle as being more in the front of happening within the spider-sphere of characters. Makes totally sense with Michael since experimental science got him into his current state of course. However, seeing Peter involved back in #3 and still around a few issues later has made this not feel like a rushed "editorial guest apperance" but part of a necessary arc. Also glad to get much more backstory on Liz, have I missed a codename on her?
    Looking forward to issue #6 and the movie when the world resumes!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    This quarantine life has me catching up on my back log of reading. Last night I knocked out Morbius #4&5

I AM LOVING THIS SERIES. Both glad and happy to have the time to catch up. Loving the science gone wrong angle as being more in the front of happening within the spider-sphere of characters. Makes totally sense with Michael since experimental science got him into his current state of course. However, seeing Peter involved back in #3 and still around a few issues later has made this not feel like a rushed "editorial guest apperance" but part of a necessary arc. Also glad to get much more backstory on Liz, have I missed a codename on her?
    Looking forward to issue #6 and the movie when the world resumes!!
    I think the series has gotten better with each issue, and the last two issues were probably better than any issue from his last series. Agreed that the "mad science" angle was a good start for the book, including Morbius' new look, which I quite like for now.

Not necessarily thrilled with Blade coming up next, but I'm hoping the book continues to surprise me, even in small ways.

I've been wanting a Morbius book more like his 90s series, and while this isn't perfect, it's probably the closest we've had in years.

-Pav, who wonders what loose threads exist from old Morbius stories...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details