Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Morbius ongoing

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I feel that Morbius should be in the pages of The X-Men, along with Kaine Parker. They would be a huge asset to the X-Verse....
    Setting the X-Men aside, I have always thought that Morbius and Kaine would make for an interesting friendship... or at least begrudging team-up. While I think Peter hates Morbius because of what he represents as science-gone-wrong, Kaine could potentially feel some empathy due to his own tortured existence as a degenerating clone.

Hm.

Who else belongs on a team with Kaine and Morbius?

-Pav, who feels like at least one symbiote is necessary...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Setting the X-Men aside, I have always thought that Morbius and Kaine would make for an interesting friendship... or at least begrudging team-up. While I think Peter hates Morbius because of what he represents as science-gone-wrong, Kaine could potentially feel some empathy due to his own tortured existence as a degenerating clone.

Hm.

To bring back Kaine degeneration is pure stupidity. That's making Peter Parker the Man-Spider all over again. I say make Kaine fully healed. I hate to see him like Deadpool all scared up. Marvel needs to move on with all this tragic nonsense. The goes for Sharon Ventura, whose stuck as the She-Thing for no reason what so ever.

To bring back Kaine degeneration is pure stupidity. That's making Peter Parker the Man-Spider all over again. I say make Kaine fully healed. I hate to see him like Deadpool all scared up. Marvel needs to move on with all this tragic nonsense. The goes for Sharon Ventura, whose stuck as the She-Thing for no reason what so ever.
    Maybe let's try to be a little more polite and stay away from describing what other fans may like as "pure stupidity."

Especially considering one reason I like Kaine as the degenerating clone is because I enjoy his role as a Frankenstein archetype, whose purpose is to question the very foundational assumptions of existence: is life just mostly pain with flashes of beauty? who are each of us in the truest sense? can we ever truly know ourselves? Etc etc

I don't think that's a stupid reason to want Kaine in more of his traditional role. And I'm not in favor of just negating all his growth as a character either. There's a possibility for a happy medium. Like it or not, tragedy is a necessary component in storytelling; Kaine works best as a character when he gets to suffer.

It's literally what he was made for.

Also, his original powerset was kick-ass.

-Pav, who is considering a team of Kaine, Morbius, Black Cat, Scream, Hummingbird, and Araña...

...ooh, and Cardiac maybe...
    Last edited by Pav; 12-15-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

I finally just managed to read issue 2. Seemed pretty good to me.
    I know that Morbius' statement that he would switch fates with Emil if he could wasn't meant to be read this way, but it did seem selfish to me that Morbius would choose death and let Emil suffer from vampirism.

-Pav, who is considering a team of Kaine, Morbius, Black Cat, Scream, Hummingbird, and Araña...

I like your idea for a team. I cant claim to know much about Arana though.
    Would Cardiac or Arana want to work with Morbius?

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I'd like to see the Wraith (Yuri Watanabe), and maybe Alpha (Andy Maguire).

Astonishing Member

Maybe let's try to be a little more polite and stay away from describing what other fans may like as "pure stupidity."

Especially considering one reason I like Kaine as the degenerating clone is because I enjoy his role as a Frankenstein archetype, whose purpose is to question the very foundational assumptions of existence: is life just mostly pain with flashes of beauty? who are each of us in the truest sense? can we ever truly know ourselves? Etc etc

I don't think that's a stupid reason to want Kaine in more of his traditional role. And I'm not in favor of just negating all his growth as a character either. There's a possibility for a happy medium. Like it or not, tragedy is a necessary component in storytelling; Kaine works best as a character when he gets to suffer.

It's literally what he was made for.

Also, his original powerset was kick-ass.

In the real world, nothing ever sits still. things evolve. Marvel used to tie their stories and characters with the real world before they became a DC Comics clone. I like for Kaine to be fully healed and move unto other matters, whereby his character evolves into his own.

In the real world, nothing ever sits still. things evolve. Marvel used to tie their stories and characters with the real world before they became a DC Comics clone. I like for Kaine to be fully healed and move unto other matters, whereby his character evolves into his own.
    In the real world, people sometimes get sick and suffer from their malady for their whole life.

We could go back and forth, but there's no need. You want Kaine fully healed; I prefer him degenerating. We both have our reasons.

I maintain, though, that the character can evolve without losing some of the inherent characteristics that differentiate him from his clone brothers.

-Pav, who still agrees that Kaine and Morbius should be BFFs...

EDIT: I'll never back down on Kaine's original powerset, though! Haha -- his flawed Spider-powers were so cool!

--------------------

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

After a busy Holiday season and getting an upper respiratory infection I managed to get in some delayed reading.

Morbius #2 was another solid chapter in this young title. Has Emil's sister ever had much focus before? Is this a revolutionary re-design to her character or since she's largely been underused, if not used at all, an understandable alteration to her character. Her essentially being a Van Helsing cosplay vampire hunter and all.
    Enjoyed seeing Peter at the end there. Makes looking forward to issue #3 that much more exciting!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Well, friends -- who expected that?!

Morbius #3 portrays the relationship between our titular vampire and Spidey a little differently than other encounters. I generally find that, often, Peter displays a real disgust for Morbius, whereas here he came off incredibly sympathetic instead.

Do we prefer that?

In-story, it's nice to see Peter portrayed as truly caring. However, I have head-cannoned reasons why Peter has shown almost irrational hatred toward Morbius, and I kinda missed that portrayal.

Can't say I really care much about the Melter, or Elizabeth, or the plot in general. Art looked great though.

-Pav, who hopes the Morby movie is halfway decent...

--------------------

Extraordinary Member

Well, friends -- who expected that?!

Morbius #3 portrays the relationship between our titular vampire and Spidey a little differently than other encounters. I generally find that, often, Peter displays a real disgust for Morbius, whereas here he came off incredibly sympathetic instead.

Do we prefer that?

In-story, it's nice to see Peter portrayed as truly caring. However, I have head-cannoned reasons why Peter has shown almost irrational hatred toward Morbius, and I kinda missed that portrayal.

Can't say I really care much about the Melter, or Elizabeth, or the plot in general. Art looked great though.

-Pav, who hopes the Morby movie is halfway decent...
    You see, I did sort of see bits of his real hatred for Mpr ius here. The only reason he went a little easy on him was because Morbius is clearly unwell.

And I'm not sure his hatred towards Morbius is that misplaced. Morbius is, deep down, a very noble and good person. But he's also an idiot who keeps putting people he probably cares about in danger by, again, not testing his experiments properly and just jumping into things. And then he puts on a huge "woe is me" thing.

And the thing is, Morbius actually does have potential support network of people who would want to see him do better, who would happily go out of their way to help him. But does he? I mean, he could have called up any num er of scientists in the MU and ask them for help and plenty of them would have given it. He has access to the best labs and facilities and materials in the world, but he continually forgoes it to do his own thing.

Morbius is a doctor who I'm sure would never treat a patient in an abandoned house using illegal smuggled materials, yet he sees nothing wrong with doing it to himself despite the fact that he's a risk.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I finally got around to Morbius #3 yesterday.

WOW what a great read! I really enjoyed how Peter responded to Michael as a scientific peer in this issue. Not to unlike all the times we've seen Peter and Dr. Connors interact. Ironically, Peter takes Michael to one of Curt's places to do their work.
    I enjoyed how Peter instantly asked, "I'm not going to change am I?" after Morbius had bit him. Peter also makes I very astute observation that there may be no going back to the fully human Michael Morbius. The mutated baseline Morbius may be his new ground zero.

I did not read the Brownsville era of Morbius in the last short lived 9 issue series. However, I appreciate that this issue addresses that run keeping continuity alive through characters and titles. Well done creative team.

Looking forward to issue #4 and the movie since that trailer was equally encouraging!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Peter must've forgotten when he was bit by Morbius post-Clone Saga and pre-Byrne reboot: despite it almost getting him killed, all it did was give him an ear infection or something.

-Pav, who loved JRJr's depiction of Morbius back then...

--------------------

Extraordinary Member

You know, I think this is the first issue I've read where someone really just flatout told Morbius that he probably can't cure himself entirely.

have Morbius's powers been clarified? It seems like over the years he was incrementally given more "supernatural" based powers even though his mutation's origin was (allegedly) science-based. Currently, does he have "true flight" or is it gliding only (and how, if he doesn't have the outfit with the cape/wings)? I also remember by the early 90s him having hypnotism power (again, how?).

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    have Morbius's powers been clarified? It seems like over the years he was incrementally given more "supernatural" based powers even though his mutation's origin was (allegedly) science-based. Currently, does he have "true flight" or is it gliding only (and how, if he doesn't have the outfit with the cape/wings)? I also remember by the early 90s him having hypnotism power (again, how?).
    Can't answer the question myself, but just wanted to add that 1) yes, during his 90s series he was given some supernatural powers -- I think his blood was mixed with demon blood? -- and then 2) Howard Mackie had him "changed" due to his encounter with Crown/Hunger, but nothing really ever seemed to come of that.

-Pav, who can't believe Mackie would let a sideplot be forgotten...!!!

--------------------