Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 58 of 58

Thread: Morbius ongoing

  1. #46
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    have Morbius's powers been clarified? It seems like over the years he was incrementally given more "supernatural" based powers even though his mutation's origin was (allegedly) science-based. Currently, does he have "true flight" or is it gliding only (and how, if he doesn't have the outfit with the cape/wings)? I also remember by the early 90s him having hypnotism power (again, how?).
    His current batty appearance aside, Morbius's powers have consistently been super strength, quick speed, enhanced senses, his fangs, and his claws. We've actually seen a lot of his very recent appearances really use his claws, which have been shown to sheer metal.

    His "flight" is also a consistent power, as well as his hypnosis, but how they're portrayed changes dramatically from writer to writer.

    Morbius can fly/glide because he has hollow bones, like a bird. It should be noted that real bays do not have hollow bones, just adorably small and delicate ones. Some writers have also attributed his gliding to some sort of psychic ability that allows him to better detect and control air currents. This sort of goes into his hypnosis, which has been portrayed as anything from just being a bit persuasive to full blown mind control.

    Really, how these powers are used really depends on the writer and what they want with Morbius.

  2. #47
    Mighty Member tbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    I just read the first three issues. I love the fact that The Melter is in this and hope he sticks around. He is in way over his head dealing with something he never has before. At least that I can remember. And seeing Spiderman in his element as a scientist was great.
    Favorite teams. Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  3. #48
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I just read the first three issues. I love the fact that The Melter is in this and hope he sticks around. He is in way over his head dealing with something he never has before. At least that I can remember. And seeing Spiderman in his element as a scientist was great.
    Yeah, seeing the Melter just not know what's going on has been fun. Other people have tried to weaponize Morbius's disease in the past, but, again, this is a pretty unstable disease. Was his plan to kidnap Morbius and then sell him?

    I'm sure there would be a buyer, but think the people who would pay for Morbius, like the real vampires or AIM or HYDRA or Orchis. They'd probably kill the Melter.

  4. #49
    Mighty Member tbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    Would be kind of cool in The melter injected himself with a serum that turned him into a vampire. At least one for a bit. Then he could be a vampire with his melting weapon. That would be great.
    Favorite teams. Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  5. #50
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Would be kind of cool in The melter injected himself with a serum that turned him into a vampire. At least one for a bit. Then he could be a vampire with his melting weapon. That would be great.
    Because Morbius's serum isn't really fueled by bad magic, blood, or rabies-cancer. No, what it's truly fueled by is bad decision making.

    Also, did we not have a comic not that long ago where Morbius turned someone? I wish they would come to a consensus on that.

  6. #51
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,917

    Default

    I haven't seen anyone notice this, but on the cover of the New Warriors book, one of the new kids has a costume very similar to Morbius's. And they have pale skin and pointy ears.

  7. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I haven't seen anyone notice this, but on the cover of the New Warriors book, one of the new kids has a costume very similar to Morbius's. And they have pale skin and pointy ears.
    I see who you're talking about. If the character is a vampire a potential Morbius cameo would be interesting.

  8. #53
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,917

    Default

    They definitely look closer to a pseudo-vampire than a true vsmpire, but that leads to just how they got that way. And that would imply that Morbius attacked them.

  9. #54
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,917

    Default

    This issue was fun. Still felt really short, but I don't find myself hating Elizabeth surprisingly. Even her ridiculous outfit makes a little more sense here.

    But damn, did she really think shooting Morbius like that was going to kill him?

  10. #55
    Y'know. Pav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    This issue was fun. Still felt really short, but I don't find myself hating Elizabeth surprisingly. Even her ridiculous outfit makes a little more sense here.

    But damn, did she really think shooting Morbius like that was going to kill him?
    Same. Strongest issue yet, even if Elizabeth's while deal is pretty cliche. I liked seeing what the Melter was doing as the close to this issue.

    -Pav, who is happy not be a Rat Man...
    2020 Marvel Monthly Buys: Morbius Runaways (Giant-Sized) X-Men X-Force Marauders New Mutants Excalibur Strange Academy Agents of Wakanda
    2020 Machine Man

    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school! DM for details

  11. #56
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Same. Strongest issue yet, even if Elizabeth's while deal is pretty cliche. I liked seeing what the Melter was doing as the close to this issue.

    -Pav, who is happy not be a Rat Man...
    I love Melter's logic there: I can cure leukemia if I turn people into rats! Genius!

    And I'm sorry, but did any of those random gang members even have leukemia?

    Normally, I'd consider this bad writing, but the utter insanity of this whole thing just makes it too much fun!

    And yet, I have a bad feeling about where it's heading.

  12. #57
    Mighty Member Thievery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Popping in to say how much I continue to enjoy reading this comic. This was my favorite issue so far!
    I really enjoy reading about Elizabeth, and was genuinely worried about her being killed, and that's despite me knowing about how comics work. I agree that it was stupid of her to think that she could kill Morbius that way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I love Melter's logic there: I can cure leukemia if I turn people into rats! Genius!

    And I'm sorry, but did any of those random gang members even have leukemia?

    Normally, I'd consider this bad writing, but the utter insanity of this whole thing just makes it too much fun!

    And yet, I have a bad feeling about where it's heading.

    I feel the same way about this, except for the bad writing part.
    The rat idea that Melter came up with to deal with leukemia really was genius. Some really fun and insane writing And really, I've enjoyed Melter throughout this series.
    Formerly known as ArchAngelSliver

  13. #58
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,917

    Default

    I'm just trying to figure out the rat thing. Like, is he just throwing together whatever animal parts he can here? What is with that? Not that I'm against filling New York City with crazed rodent mutant people, but still...

    Also, I'm sorry, but batty-Morbius just looks adorable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •