Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

It's a bit like saying that Summers family is fake.

Not a good argument, specially when new mutants have Brisson as co-writer

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It's a bit like saying that Summers family is fake.

Not a good argument, specially when new mutants have Brisson as co-writer
    It’s not an argument, it’s what we’re being represented with. Also this post is saying the Summers are trying to manufacture familial roles because of the positions they hold, not that they’re “fake.”

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Ehh. I liked both and found them true. It's not a competition.
    I think it’s more of a comparison and look at where Cyclops and his family are in terms of interactions between one another.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I chalked it up as a father that did not have the chance to raise his kids, because they are time displaced and not having spent time together while they was young, as a attempt to make the best of being able to have some father time. I don't think these 3 know how to interact as a family unit, so a X=men mission is a example of what could be considered "family bonding" and it came across real awkward and unrealistic. I think rachel and Nate were playing along and it seemed kinda hollow.

We have literally never seen this kind of story before with the Summers family.

There's a reason it comes across the way it does to us, which is different than how New Mutants, Fantastic Four, etc come off.

It's not a criticism. I think it's really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    It’s not an argument, it’s what we’re being represented with. Also this post is saying the Summers are trying to manufacture familial roles because of the positions they hold, not that they’re “fake.”

I don't agree with it.

It is just bad writing. there isn't a big theory behind it

I don't agree with it.

It is just bad writing. there isn't a big theory behind it
    Subjective.

It isn’t a theory, this is literally what’s being presented on page. Rachel and Cable are trying to be the Holstein that Scott wants them to be. It isn’t a big theory or giant conspiracy. Hickman wouldn’t have played it off as such a “family trip” episode with the most infamous family if that wasn’t the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Subjective.

It isn’t a theory, this is literally what’s being presented on page. Rachel and Cable are trying to be the Holstein that Scott wants them to be. It isn’t a big theory or giant conspiracy. Hickman wouldn’t have played it off as such a “family trip” episode with the most infamous family if that wasn’t the case.
    Rachel never acted like this, and Cable also never acted like this or need to act like this.

It's not theoretical or even subtle. It's pretty obviously the story Hickman is telling.

Hickman wants the most fun-adverse family ever to have fun. And this is how those wonderful weirdos do it lol

Rachel never acted like this, and Cable also never acted like this or need to act like this.
    Yeah because, again, we have never seen them in this type of story. This is how they act on a family field trip. Canon.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I agree with Tycon. They've never had a traditional family setup before. This is obviously their attempt to be a "normal" family. Imagine if the Cable here was his older self. It would be even weirder.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post

Yeah because, again, we have never seen them in this type of story. This is how they act on a family field trip. Canon.
    it doesn't make sense. Hickman giving them artifitial chaarcteristics isn't good writing
    Kid cable was living with Scott

BANNED

Outside of 4 issues of Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix, these characters never had the chance to be a family.
    It is not bad or out of character, this is how they interact now that they finally have the chance.

I'm with spirit. I think people are projecting this 'they have no social skills so they are trying and failing at acting like a family' idea onto the series, when bad writing is more likely. I think better art would have made this much clearer one way or another.

But it is pretty subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I'm with spirit. I think people are projecting this 'they have no social skills so they are trying and failing at acting like a family' idea onto the series, when bad writing is more likely. I think better art would have made this much clearer one way or another.

But it is pretty subjective.
    First issue also had this same problem with dialogs. So it is probably bad writing

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Wow they way a lot of you are talking makes it feel like we read completely different books.

My only complaint with this issue is the kinda lackluster art.
    It's usually the same people disliking the same things. Thumbs up for consistency!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I chalked it up as a father that did not have the chance to raise his kids, because they are time displaced and not having spent time together while they was young, as a attempt to make the best of being able to have some father time. I don't think these 3 know how to interact as a family unit, so a X=men mission is a example of what could be considered "family bonding" and it came across real awkward and unrealistic. I think rachel and Nate were playing along and it seemed kinda hollow.
    I felt that way too. Rachel and Nathan love their Dad and if he wants to go on an awkward camping trip they suck it up and go along and try to make the best of it for their Dad's sake. But you are right I think in some ways they really don't know each other that well. Who knows what Rachel is going through after being captured and enslaved by the same man who tortured her as a child, I imagine that was pretty traumatic. Kid Cable, he didn't know Jean and Scott were his parents until Blaquesmith revealed on the computer that Slim = Scott and Red = Jean, that was when he found out his Mom and Dad came forward in time to raise him in the future. Also, finding out the Bright Lady, the Goddess, is his sister Rachel and she is one of the most important people in his life and her consciousness still guides the Askani even after her death in the future.

There are complexities here that haven't been flushed out, and I am going to take it all with a grain of salt and agree with you that I think Rachel and Nathan are just trying to fit in with Scott in the best way they can, they want a relationship with their Dad and perhaps for a little while they can set aside some of those complexities and just try to be kids for a little while because it makes their Dad happy!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”