Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I don't know if the problem is the writing or the art, or both. I think a different artist may have salvaged that dialogue, but that didn't happen. When it came to the backgrounds and the nonhuman creatures it was OK. But the Summers family looked like mannequins. Kid Cable looked older than OG Cable at points. Are they supposed to be teenagers? I couldn't tell. And the grenade thing, ugh.

this main X-book feels like a waste. A springboard for spinoffs, but no actual plot of its own. Jumping straight to Arakko and Apocalypse feels weird, because that almost seems like an endgame issue for Krakoa. The nation can't fall apart THAT quickly, can it? And any big changes too it would feel pointless, because we barely have any knowledge or reason to care about Krakoa at all at this point.

The data pages are quickly becoming a crutch. Feels like Hickman is more interested in this world than he is writing it in an organic way.

Gave the issue a 2nd read through like I always do ....and it’s worst then the first time around. The dialogue in the issue was just too cringe worthy at times and felt off. I hear some people enjoying Cyclops in the issue and to me He just came off like a lifeless robotic puppet and annoying as hell to top it off. . The art definitely isn’t helping this book either. It’s bad enough to have the dialogue appear so stale and plain...but then you have an artist who seems to draw the same generic facial expressions in every panel to top it off.

It’s frustrating because it’s the main title and it’s definitely not how I wanted to kick things off for DOX.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

There is something that I didn't like and it was resolving Arakko so easy and fast. I thought it was something deeper and wanted to knew more about how the two islands separated but sadly everything was jus to make a joke about islands having sex.

I loved it. Issue 2 was great. I believe the dialogue is suppose to be different and awkward. Cyclops is trying to play dad which he isn’t very good at. Cable is hamming it up and being a smart*ss on purpose.
    I adored the apocalypse scene.

So are all the summoners apocalypse children?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    There is something that I didn't like and it was resolving Arakko so easy and fast. I thought it was something deeper and wanted to knew more about how the two islands separated but sadly everything was jus to make a joke about islands having sex.
    It’s not resolved. The portal to Arakko itself is still closed.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    It’s not resolved. The portal to Arakko itself is still closed.
    Oh, good then.
    I must have missed that

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    It’s disgusting how little respect Cyclops has for Arrako. Imagine murdering animals and fauna because you don’t feel like wading through some bushes. He discarded the foliage like he discarded Madelyne.

I don't understand why Rachel just didn't TK fly them to the volcano instead of wading through the bush for two hours?? Cyke blasting a channel was even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post

Yes! Granddaddy Apocalypse for the win!!! I love Apocalypse and am enjoying him having a meaty role in the books. As a concept he is incredible, but in execution the comics have barely done him justice pre-Hickman(I actually love TAS Apocalypse the best). All this ancient Krakoa history is completely counter to what Giant Sized X-Men #1 states(Krakoa is the result of a nuclear bomb experiment, and gets thrown into space by the end of the issue!!!), but Hickman is infusing so much lore into it, sure, whatever. I liked the demon summoner. Let's see where this goes.

I enjoyed the issue. Yes, the art was stiff, but I can re-imagine it better in my own mind. The dialog is a bit stiff in ways, but think about these three characters, what they've been through, and how strange their paths have been to coincide together. They're going to be a little weird. I was fine with that. It felt authentic in a way. (Also remember Scott spent 10 years in the future with Jean raising Nathan, so they would be tight, and Scott is essentially a whole decade older mentally than he is physically.) Hickman doesn't seem to excel at warm and fuzzy the way Claremont can, but he tells interesting stories, and if I need to 'fill in the blanks' where necessary, so far, that's fine with me. I enjoyed this issue a bit more than #1, which felt more 'hollow' or 'stiff' than this one.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Arakko isn't solved at all. The island still needs to be saved and seems like part of it still on limbo

Are all the summoners apocalypse children and relatives

It seems like the summoner is War's son, and thus Apocalypse's grandson. The other summoners may be more distant descendants, but it is unclear.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    It seems like the summoner is War's son, and thus Apocalypse's grandson. The other summoners may be more distant descendants, but it is unclear.
    Damn chamber just got more relatives

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Yeah, it seems that the original horsemen were Apocalypse's actual children and - perhaps up until recently since we see War cast off her son - are/were still alive in Otherworld, or wherever Arakko leads to.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Overall: I liked this issue. Different change of direction for the Summers and Apocalypse but a very welcomed one.

Good:

Summers Family Interaction: It was refreshing to see them finally talking as a family. The grim and bitter tones are beyond worn out.
    Scott promising to take Rachel on a trip
    The ending with Apocalypse

Bad:

The art: Not a fan. Looked too 'stiff' That scene where Cyclops was covering Wifi's Eyes when the Islands were mating could have been pure gold if it was illustrated better
    The Grenade: Seriously? Can someone explain how that would be considered a 'gift' to a being that has no idea what it is

The grenade scene remembers me a lot of Annihilation movie

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Haven't read it yet; but Summers Family solely being on cover to an X-Men #1 is never a good sign and this issue seems to prove that.

HoX was amazing, the franchise direction is compelling, but the flagship does not seem promising.
    Don’t blame the Summers family. Hickman just doesnt have a natural voice for anyone unless it’s some biblical sounding speech or one of his pet characters.

He writes how a stereotypical family sounds, not how Rachel, Scott or Cable sound even as a family. I hope he never touches Rachel again.
    Last edited by Tank; 11-13-2019 at 08:10 PM.