Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I chalked it up as a father that did not have the chance to raise his kids, because they are time displaced and not having spent time together while they was young, as a attempt to make the best of being able to have some father time. I don't think these 3 know how to interact as a family unit, so a X=men mission is a example of what could be considered "family bonding" and it came across real awkward and unrealistic. I think rachel and Nate were playing along and it seemed kinda hollow.
    Scott did get to raise Nathan from birth to 12 years old. Nathan is only a few years removed from when Scott left him

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Scott did get to raise Nathan from birth to 12 years old. Nathan is only a few years removed from when Scott left him
    technically Nathan did not realize that till he was sent into the past by Blaquesmith, so a lot of his knowledge of Scott, Jean, and Rachel is what he read on the computer. This was all stuff adult Cable found out way later back when Jean and Scott were still in X-Factor and Rachel was still in Excalibur, that's when they all learned the truth about their links to each other.

Anyway, I am not really disputing you, I am just saying I think Rachel and Nathan are trying really hard to get to know their Dad again after a lot of crappy things that happened over the last several years for all of them.

This is no different then family getting together on Thanksgiving and trying to be in their best behaviour to get along. It's not so much that Nathan and Rachel are faking it, but more that they are invested in trying to make a good impression for their Dad!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I feel like Scott is trying with Rachel and Cable. Sure he is not doing it great but sometimes the intention is what counts

The actual problem with this issue is not all of your measly dialogue quibbles, it is that these three good boys didn't get their own chart! EPIC FAIL! #GameFreakLied #FreeTheNationalDex #ArakkoRegionNewPokémon

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Hickman can write good dialog for a large cast of characters. Read East of West for proof of this. Dozens of characters each with their own distinct voice. Fantastic, sorrowful read. The problem he's having with the X-men is that the voices he's providing them don't necessarily meet established reader expectations. Scott as a befuddled dad with corny jokes? Rachel as the sassy older sister? And heeeeere's Nathan as the goofster little brother who rushes in without thinking? Who are these people?
    Playing catch up. I don’t usually respond to older comments but this one is balanced and interesting.

I also don’t see anything wrong with the dialogue here. It entirely matches Hickman’s approach so far. I understand that some find it challenging to be confronted with new characterisation in this way, but in my opinion this is a choice that Hickman is making. He and his team of writers are allowed to play with changes in this abrupt way because the circumstances allow it. There has been a time jump and a seismic shift in everyone’s perspectives and philosophy. A cultural paradigm shift. A line has been drawn in continuity and we can expect more of this. Nobody is quite the same anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I think people are entitled to have opinions and take issue with Hickman's dialogue, which is not to everyone's taste. It is to mine. The humor and humanity is there for me and consistent with these characters, including this issue. It's just also often very dry or quieter. The HOX council and ceremony scenes were also totally on point.

I think what most irks people is that now Hickman has begun directly reconceiving characters that recently were murky, like Rachel, Kid Cable and even Scott. I'm fine with that and with the F4/Incredibles take. I think it's fresh but also rooted in past character. Others disagree. That's fine, but I stand by my take.
    You know what your problem is. You are just too agreeable. I have nodded along to everything you say in this thread. Maybe not actually a problem but it’s unusual
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-16-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Are the people who are use to Cyclops being a rebel badass now fine with being the cheesy Boyscout dad joke guy who is actually more inline with Cyclops older presentations?
    Yes!

I know I don’t speak for all long term Cyclops fans but I am enjoying this while it lasts. Cyclops having fun and just ‘being himself’ is my primary reason for enjoying this comic. I equally loved his rebel phase, but right now he has no reason to be a rebel. He is walking broadly in step with those around him. If anything, Krakoa has helped reconcile these aspects of his character. It won’t last, and I embrace that also.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I don't think its fair to dismiss the characterization complaints like that. Being unhappy that characters aren't acting like themselves is a pretty legit criticism, especially for a series heavy on (convoluted) continuity and characterization.

I think it is absolutely fair to dismiss the notion that these characters have a single ‘true’ portrayal that needs to be adhered to. Especially in the light of recent, character challenging events.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-16-2019 at 03:13 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Slym and Redd raised a psycho in Wi-Fi. It's... oddly hilarious, thinking back on it.

(I'll likely never be a fan of Wi-Fi. Bring Real Cable baaaack, DisMarvel!)
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I chalked it up as a father that did not have the chance to raise his kids, because they are time displaced and not having spent time together while they was young, as a attempt to make the best of being able to have some father time. I don't think these 3 know how to interact as a family unit, so a X=men mission is a example of what could be considered "family bonding" and it came across real awkward and unrealistic. I think rachel and Nate were playing along and it seemed kinda hollow.
    I was nodding along until you said it was unrealistic. You seem to encapsulate what is great about this story and then say it’s not great.

On the whole “why isn’t Cyclops in mourning”, it seems clear that there is a discontinuity issue here. This story appears to belong before or perhaps concurrently with X-Force. Cyclops is clearly not aware of the death of Xavier in this story.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    On the whole “why isn’t Cyclops in mourning”, it seems clear that there is a discontinuity issue here. This story appears to belong before or perhaps concurrently with X-Force. Cyclops is clearly not aware of the death of Xavier in this story.
    Nah, the text at the start mentions the assassination, and Cyclops alludes to “all the drama” happening.

Cyclops knows that Xavier is dead but also knows that
    1) They can resurrect him
    2) Crying will not make it happen faster
    3) The best thing he can do in the meantime is to keep Krakoa safe.

He has always been "Do the work first and the feelings later."

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The actual problem with this issue is not all of your measly dialogue quibbles, it is that these three good boys didn't get their own chart! EPIC FAIL! #GameFreakLied #FreeTheNationalDex #ArakkoRegionNewPokémon

Me.

Finding out all my teams were Thanos-snapped by GameFreak.

#NeverForget #Dexit
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Nah, the text at the start mentions the assassination, and Cyclops alludes to “all the drama” happening.
    Where does it mention the assassination?

Oh you mean the leading text. I tend to ignore those. This story has absolutely zero resonance with the assassination so I am surprised it was even in that text. I read it as concurrent.

It is difficult to actually address X-Force #1 without spoilers anyway. I don’t think either book this week has really handled that. Just casual nods to continuity. We shouldn’t expect that kind of continuity anyway, that expectation is a curse for readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post

Without getting into a long tangent about X-Force you are making some huge assumptions with your #1. We don’t actually know how it will be handled but we can expect it to be part of the story. There isn’t an instant fix.

We need to wait and see how ready they actually are for such a death. I suspect they will need to jump through some hoops to bring Xavier back.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-16-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post

Magneto is mourning.

Also he should be more worried about the weak security of the island

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Magneto is mourning.

Also he should be more worried about the weak security of the island
    Can we trust what was probably the weakest book in my opinion in Fallen Angels. I think it was a dodgy choice to have Magneto mourning without more context.