Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

just had to weigh in to agree with many here - how is the writing in this issue so bad? all of the issues leading up to this in HOX POX were pretty good, nothing really terrible in XMen #1, but all of the main characters in this talk feel like brainwashed robots or something. Yu’s terrible art doesn’t help either. Cant believe the flagship book is the worst one so far

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by abarry126 View Post
    just had to weigh in to agree with many here - how is the writing in this issue so bad? all of the issues leading up to this in HOX POX were pretty good, nothing really terrible in XMen #1, but all of the main characters in this talk feel like brainwashed robots or something. Yu’s terrible art doesn’t help either. Cant believe the flagship book is the worst one so far
    His character voices were equally awful in Xmen 1 too. It’s just this didnt have Magento who he writes well or more action to cover it up.

Wow they way a lot of you are talking makes it feel like we read completely different books.

My only complaint with this issue is the kinda lackluster art.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    His character voices were equally awful in Xmen 1 too. It’s just this didnt have Magento who he writes well or more action to cover it up.
    This.

I thought X-men 1 was better but again the dialogue really bored me in that one as well. It just had some action and some well written magneto to cover it up.

Astonishing Member

the writing was so bad it may have been deliberate, as in, to show the Summers are less well adjusted than even Apocalypse, whom he wrote well in the last pages.

The way Hickman is writing this feels like every character is saying Something Very Important, giving a Very Dramatic Monologue of Epic Proportions. That kind of worked in HoXPoX, because it focused on Magneto and Xavier who talk like that pretty often, but it made them stiff and kind of unnerving. Now that he's supposed to be writing characters and not just BIG IMPORTANT MOMENTS! it kind of falls apart. Nobody sounds like a real person, or at least feels out of character, and it becomes hard to care about any of the individual people. Grandiose things are happening, but I don't care about anyone involved, so in the end I don't really care at all.

The problems in X-Men were apparent in HoXPoX, but the art helped cover them up. Going forward I don't know what to expect, and I don't mean that in a good way.

But that's just me. If other people think its all fine, or it works, good for them. With comic books, its hard to tell how these things are received until the 3rd issue sales-wise. 1st issues always sell, then there's almost always a drop off at Issue 2, and again at 3. That's usually when notices for cancellations go out, or ongoing series become limited miniseries. Some of these series were likely only planned for 6 issue stories, 12 at the most, so unless one or more totally bombs (very unlikely, imo) they will all probably get to completion.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    It really was ****. Rachel has to be reminded she's a telepath in every mission no matter the writer. Bring in Emma.
    Emma isn't an X-man, and her role for Krokoa is distinctly non-combat. Also, her first instinct is to always try to dominate everyone and that probably wouldn't have flown with Kid War.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Emma isn't an X-man, and her role for Krokoa is distinctly non-combat.
    Well, the first part is just untrue and I’m fairly certain next month may disprove both.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Well, the first part is just untrue and I’m fairly certain next month may disprove both.
    She's the Black King. She's allied with Charles and Magneto, but she's very clearly representing her own faction. Wearing X-bling to Creed's human trial doesn't make her one of the team again. That'd be a demotion from her perspective.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

She's the Black King.
    Pretty sure Shaw is back in that role. Check X-Force and HOX’s infographics to be certain. I believe it’s in there.

She's allied with Charles and Magneto, but she's very clearly representing her own faction.
    No more than the other named council factions, which also include X-Men such as Jean, Ororo, Kurt, Kitty, etc. I see nothing which would indicate Emma is not considered an active X-Man. Kitty certainly is and she’s also in the Hellfire Club now. Emma is also featured in next month’s X-Men. Willing to bet if you ask the X-office they’ll say she is on the roster despite focused on her Council/HFC duties.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I don't know why this was not the single point of conversation in the preview thread discussing the issue.

Jean? Emma? Wolverine? Come on, Hickman, don't tease us.
    The way it was phrased made the whole polyamory thing seem more than a possibility. It probably means he loves more than one person but as he was asked if he loves 'one' then technically yes.. there is one person who he loves.

I'm intrigued by the summoner, also I really appreciate the one shot structure weaving in a larger story overall. I wonder when we're going to see Xavier resurrected, I expected it in this issue but I guess we're going to get it next X-Force with a focus on whoever is doing the mind transfer (probably Jean).

The High Summoner intrigues me, seems like there's just been a society of people just added onto the island, so it'll be intresting finding out more about them and seeing them interact

She's the Black King. She's allied with Charles and Magneto, but she's very clearly representing her own faction. Wearing X-bling to Creed's human trial doesn't make her one of the team again. That'd be a demotion from her perspective.
    She's drafted by Cyclops in a future X-Men issue. At this point probably everyone on that island is an X-Men. They're a community now, not really a team.

Oh have people started the anti-Hickmaning already? I guess we're right on schedule. I'll enjoy seeing the same people reminisce warmly about the start of this era in about 5 years.