Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

I loved the Summers' Family-Day Outing. It was cute. I've wanted to see Rachel hanging with Daddy Scott for decades.

But it was also odd. Rachel had as much personality as mouldy (and kinda-bitchy) cardboard. Karoka can just bob-bob around in the ocean like a big rubber ducky? That was news to me. I hope none of the mutants who are going to be living there for eternity have issues with sea-sickness.

Some of the artwork was gorgeous. The page with the first appearance of the Summoner in the volcano was breathtaking, and I loved the half page with the pale white Summoner walking through the bright green tall grass about to meet the mutants.

I really loved every panel the Summoner appeared in. His character design is just so gorgeous and Yu drew him beautifully. I'm very intrigued with this new dude - the scene where he met his grand-pappy (=A=) and got a big sloppy hug was so sweet.

But I do wish Yu actually drew facial expressions on the main cast. It seems to be a problem with both X-Books this month. I don't really want to read comics that look like someone has just posed action figures and added speech balloons.

Quote Originally Posted by silence. View Post
    Oh have people started the anti-Hickmaning already? I guess we're right on schedule. I'll enjoy seeing the same people reminisce warmly about the start of this era in about 5 years.
    I don’t see how this is a case of “anti-Hickmaning”. For the most part the reception for everything he did during HOX/POX was overwhelmingly positive on this board almost to an insane degree. The feel of the story now has changed and it doesn’t fit his style at the moment. I think once the focus shifts away from the summers family, things will turn around. He’s suffering big time writing this supposed “family” dynamic. The dialogue was flat out horrific at times.

Also this is the wrong artist for Hickman. Every single panel looks exactly the same. It’s just one generic facial expression across all the characters. That hurts the interactions between the characters even more draining the life out of an already lifeless group.

The issue needed more Apocalyspe.
    Last edited by RD155; 11-13-2019 at 10:05 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Oh have people started the anti-Hickmaning already? I guess we're right on schedule. I'll enjoy seeing the same people reminisce warmly about the start of this era in about 5 years.
    I haven't been drinking the kool-aid since about three-quarters through HoxPox, boo-boo. Hickman's writing is stilted and awkward. His plotting is on point.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Hickman can write good dialog for a large cast of characters. Read East of West for proof of this. Dozens of characters each with their own distinct voice. Fantastic, sorrowful read. The problem he's having with the X-men is that the voices he's providing them don't necessarily meet established reader expectations. Scott as a befuddled dad with corny jokes? Rachel as the sassy older sister? And heeeeere's Nathan as the goofster little brother who rushes in without thinking? Who are these people?
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

People were doing that during HoxPox and after ,but now the complaints have evolved at first it was X-men were "Pod people" and "evil group" . Then People locked in to the X-men felt "cultish" and "Supremacists ". Now it has evolved to Hickman dialogue is "stiff" and "the characters are OOC". And in all honest Hickman has always had couple of weakness and yes his character dialogue at times can be weak is one of them and also his stories can be overly complex and also at times nothing happens in inside of the stories because he is setting up a bigger story.

So they are legit complaints to be had about Hickman but these complaints don't ring true to what most people reading is responding to current story feeling. I will remind people that Rosenberg Uncanny was the top seller on Marvel app and it was top 20 comic on Comichron. The people on the forums don't accurate represent the readership total view of things. Anyways I am going keep swatting away people hurt feelings with numbers

October's X-MEN #1 Powers Comics Sales To the Highest Total in 3 Years

X-Men #1 Dominates Advance Reorders - Bleeding Cool

I saw someone in this thread hilariously say I wonder how long Hickman is going to be X-men. The X-men sales are not just good they are ridiculous good right now. I can't wait until we get couple more issues out and people who are hating come to realization that numbers are not going to fall off the cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Hickman can write good dialog for a large cast of characters. Read East of West for proof of this. Dozens of characters each with their own distinct voice. Fantastic, sorrowful read. The problem he's having with the X-men is that the voices he's providing them don't necessarily meet established reader expectations. Scott as a befuddled dad with corny jokes? Rachel as the sassy older sister? And heeeeere's Nathan as the goofster little brother who rushes in without thinking? Who are these people?
    Why would they be these things with each other? These character aren't out of character this is the new norm, They are finally in place we they can be "a real family". They have always called Cable and Rachel their children and you get an occasional moment heartful hugging moment with them. But this is first time the Summers family is interacting like an actual family. Rachel is only character that is little off but given how much she has been mind control,Her dry stiffness makes sense in way. She is only character that could be more dynamic. Cable being a goof ball little brother is fine,He is only like 16 or 17 with no real people skills. Cyclops has always been a little corny but with his kids he is dad joke corny.Plus The art work is doing no favors to the dialogue .
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-13-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I liked this issue as well. Hickman is making me like the Summers clan. who woulda thought.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Anyways I am going keep swatting away people hurt feelings with numbers
    I haven't seen anyone taking the dialogue and etc personally, or saying that X-Men wasn't selling well. But like you just said - we have some legitimate criticisms with this book right now. The dialogue is stiff and some of the characters feel off, and for a franchise with such defined characters that's a problem. That doesn't mean he's going to be taken off the book any time soon. My hope is just that it improves.

Otherwise X-Men is surrounded by four really strong titles and one that is at least decently strong. And this is the best the X-Men have been, collectively, in a long time.

But the people also saying that people are going to look fondly on the beginning of this era are probably right. There'll be a time where they look back on it like it was dreck (like X-Men Red is going through among certain parties now) but then that'll pass (again like it probably will with X-Men Red); my hope is just that when it comes down to it the X-Men have their place in the Marvel Universe solidified, that they are heroes, and that they come out better on the other side and without anyone looking to unnecessarily tear them down.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

I think people are entitled to have opinions and take issue with Hickman's dialogue, which is not to everyone's taste. It is to mine. The humor and humanity is there for me and consistent with these characters, including this issue. It's just also often very dry or quieter. The HOX council and ceremony scenes were also totally on point.

I think what most irks people is that now Hickman has begun directly reconceiving characters that recently were murky, like Rachel, Kid Cable and even Scott. I'm fine with that and with the F4/Incredibles take. I think it's fresh but also rooted in past character. Others disagree. That's fine, but I stand by my take.

The issue was charming and delightful!

Loved the lore, too. Apocalypse and his old Horsemen have become one of the most interesting HoX/PoX/DoX threads.

People were doing that during HoxPox and after ,but now the complaints have evolved at first it was X-men were "Pod people" and "evil group" . Then People locked in to the X-men felt "cultish" and "Supremacists ". Now it has evolved to Hickman dialogue is "stiff" and "the characters are OOC". And in all honest Hickman has always had couple of weakness and yes his character dialogue at times can be weak is one of them and also his stories can be overly complex and also at times nothing happens in inside of the stories because he is setting up a bigger story.

So they are legit complaints to be had about Hickman but these complaints don't ring true to what most people reading is responding to current story feeling. I will remind people that Rosenberg Uncanny was the top seller on Marvel app and it was top 20 comic on Comichron. The people on the forums don't accurate represent the readership total view of things. Anyways I am going keep swatting away people hurt feelings with numbers

October's X-MEN #1 Powers Comics Sales To the Highest Total in 3 Years

X-Men #1 Dominates Advance Reorders - Bleeding Cool

I saw someone in this thread hilariously say I wonder how long Hickman is going to be X-men. The X-men sales are not just good they are ridiculous good right now. I can't wait until we get couple more issues out and people who are hating come to realization that numbers are not going to fall off the cliff.

Why would they be these things with each other? These character aren't out of character this is the new norm, They are finally in place we they can be "a real family". They have always called Cable and Rachel their children and you get an occasional moment heartful hugging moment with them. But this is first time the Summers family is interacting like an actual family. Rachel is only character that is little off but given how much she has been mind control,Her dry stiffness makes sense in way. She is only character that could be more dynamic. Cable being a goof ball little brother is fine,He is only like 16 or 17 with no real people skills. Cyclops has always been a little corny but with his kids he is dad joke corny.Plus The art work is doing no favors to the dialogue .
    Its hard to argue with the sales numbers. Right now the X franchise is doing gangbusters. But sales numbers are not the same as quality, like you point out with Rosenburg. It sold really well, and it was hot garbage. Hell, I'd say the same with Jason Aaron's Avengers run. Its still going strong despite really bad character derailing writing. Unless something goes seriously wrong and sales just tank, I would expect this Hickman era to last at least 2 years at minimum.

Which sucks for me, because I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I haven't seen anyone taking the dialogue and etc personally, or saying that X-Men wasn't selling well. But like you just said - we have some legitimate criticisms with this book right now. The dialogue is stiff and some of the characters feel off, and for a franchise with such defined characters that's a problem. That doesn't mean he's going to be taken off the book any time soon. My hope is just that it improves.

Otherwise X-Men is surrounded by four really strong titles and one that is at least decently strong. And this is the best the X-Men have been, collectively, in a long time.

But the people also saying that people are going to look fondly on the beginning of this era are probably right. There'll be a time where they look back on it like it was dreck (like X-Men Red is going through among certain parties now) but then that'll pass (again like it probably will with X-Men Red); my hope is just that when it comes down to it the X-Men have their place in the Marvel Universe solidified, that they are heroes, and that they come out better on the other side and without anyone looking to unnecessarily tear them down.
    I said they are legit complaints with Hickman in general .Honestly the writing hasn't been bad but the internet is a echo chamber. 100% percent when you first read these books they are about average and then when someone comes on boards and verbalize stuff with each other they go lower for some people. The point I am making that most people aren't coming on forums and dissecting book and it flaws. People who no big history of Rachel aren't getting a break down of why she isn't acting more full of life like she is in other comics. People aren't getting comparison of this more goofy fun Kid cable to the extermination murder everyone Kid cable,etc. The average reader isn't getting this experience.

They are also people with axes to grind with Hickman. For example they are Jean Grey fans still butt hurt over HoXPox portrayal. Are they giving unbiased assessments? Are the hardcore Cable fans who want him to be grumpy old badass soldier again giving unbiased assessments? Are the Rachel Grey fans who like more expensive version of character giving a unbiased assessment? Are the people who are use to Cyclops being a rebel badass now fine with being the cheesy Boyscout dad joke guy who is actually more inline with Cyclops older presentations? People are free to complain but let's not act they are all coming from place to give genuine criticism.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-13-2019 at 11:23 PM.

I said they are legit complaints with Hickman in general .Honestly the writing hasn't been bad but the internet is am echo chamber. 100% percent when you first read these books they are about average and then when someone comes on boards and verbalize stuff with each other they go lower for some people. The point I am making that most people aren't coming on forums and dissecting book and it flaws. People who no history of Rachel aren't getting a break down of why she isn't acting more full of life like she is in other comics. People aren't getting comparison of this more goofy fun Kid cable to the extermination murder everyone Kid cable,etc. The average reader isn't getting this experience.

They are also people with axes to grind with Hickman. For example they are Jean Grey fans still butt hurt over HoXPox portrayal. Are they giving unbiased assessments? Are the hardcore Cable fans who want him to be grumpy old badass solider giving unbiased assessments? Are the Rachel Grey fans who like more expensive version of character giving a unbiased assessment? Are the people who are use to Cyclops being a rebel badass now fine with being the cheesy Boyscout dad joke guy who is actually more inline with Cyclops older presentations? People are free to complain but let's not act they are all coming from place to give genuine criticism.
    I don't think its fair to dismiss the characterization complaints like that. Being unhappy that characters aren't acting like themselves is a pretty legit criticism, especially for a series heavy on (convoluted) continuity and characterization.

BANNED

I mean, I think Cyclops is still a rebel badass. He can also still be a cheesy dad with his kids (and has been before, BTW). And Rachel hasn't been stuck on misery forever, nor is she dour here. These characters can have more than one dimension. I find them all in character.

BANNED

People are allowed to not be enthralled. One or two of yall should relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    People are allowed to not be enthralled. One or two of yall should relax.
    God forbid I actually agree with you on something, but I agree.

Calling the people upset with Hickman's portrayal a negative echo chamber is hilarious considering that these forums are the single largest pro-Hickman echo chamber on the internet barring maybe Hickman's Twitter feed. This Scott did not feel like any Scott in Marvel's publications ever. Same for Rachel. I can't speak for Wi-Fi since I go out of my way to avoid stories with him, but I'm guessing it is three for three. The dialogue is badly stilted. Having Wi-Fi act like a god damn psychopath was bad as well.

I have to assume that Hickman simply cannot voice the majority of characters. And that's fine, no writer is perfect. But it does drag the quality of the book down.