Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

I think he is just evoking Morrison's perpetually cool Clops.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I think he is just evoking Morrison's perpetually cool Clops.
    You mean Whedon's/Fraction's? Under Morrison, Scott was kind of a loser sad sack who was also just really good at his job.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

*Clutches Pearls* LeonardEugenius's Avatar

Huge eye roll at this thread. We are clearly reading different books.

This was great. Love that the world building is still going on and the implications are huge. The art seemed better suited for the island and the summoner.

Uhh..yeah, I loved this issue.

More Krakoan mythology, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardEugenius View Post

This was great. Love that the world building is still going on and the implications are huge. The art seemed better suited for the island and the summoner.
    I'm saying.

I agree with the art looking better for the islands. I just couldn't vibe with how the cast looked though...

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    You mean Whedon's/Fraction's? Under Morrison, Scott was kind of a loser sad sack who was also just really good at his job.
    I mean the guy who had mini sentinels in his body and thought he just had a cold.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-15-2019 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Given all their ridiculous family has been through, is it so shocking they might take it in stride at this point?
    That remains your personal take on this set-up. Which again is fine, as I said yesterday.
    Personally, that's precisely because it wasn't shown, nor even hinted casually in any issue that they had, in fact, spent time trying to figure out where they stood with each other, that it felt jarringly contrived to me.

No, I call him "Kid Cable" 95% of the time in my posts, actually. His existence may upset you, but as I do not venerate old Cable I honestly don't give a **** that he's gone. Sorry. As to the rest, again, I have no problem believing Kid Cable and Rachel grew more well acquainted in the off-panel months. They've done it before, after all.
    He's a poor fac simile of the original Cable and, as any poor fac simile who came before him and any who are bound to come after him, he'll be discarded somewhere down the line in the future.
    That's just how comics are.
    And sure, you are entitled to be fine with events occuring off-panel. I Don't have to however.

He didn't, because his younger self changed history.
    "His Younger self changed history."
    Your words.
    So, what happens when people go back in time to change history? They create diverging timelines.
    Ergo, The Reason why Cable didn't remember doing any of the things Kable did is because each of them belong to different timelines.
    Ergo, Kable is not Cable.
    CQFD.

That does not change the fact that while their paths may diverge in future
    It has already diverged:
    Cable never went back in time as a teenager to kill an older version of him. He never experienced life on Krakoa as a teenager - as a matter of fact, he died before the creation of Krakoa.
    Whereas Kable went back in time as a teenager to kill an older version of him. He's experiencing life on Krakoa as a teenager - as a matter of fact, he was very much alive during the creation of Krakoa.
    Just reiterating those facts.

Kid Cable and old Cable share the exact same past relationship history with Scott from his earlier youth per The Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix, as people keep trying to tell you.
    I know, thank you.
    What I am trying to tell you is that it's irrelevant.
    Kable and Cable share the same past, but the moment Kable went back in time as a teenager to deal with the O5 and Cable didn't do that as a teenager, they stopped being the same characters.
    It's as if you were saying AoA-Magneto was the same character than 616-Magneto because they share the same past until the death of Xavier.
    That'd be absurd.

And now Kid Cable shares even more.
    You are trying to rationalize Something who can't be rationalized for the time being.
    For all intent and purpose, with what we were shown, they are two different characters.
    It's that simple.
    Now, if someday in the future, an X-writer decide to show us how Cable remembered going back in time to do what Kable did in Extermination, and live what Kable is living since the creation of Krakoa, before Kable killed him, we'll be able to revisit this topic.
    And that day, you'll be right about the both of them being the one and same character.
    But for now, the loop is wide-opened, not closed, so I'll keep disagreeing with you on the matter.

Yes, how many times should we read Rachel/Nathan getting to know you scenes since 1993? Asking for a friend.
    I told you, you are entitled to feel that it's unecessary and boring therefore doesn't need to be shown.
    I Don't have to feel the same though.

Nor will your feelings change ours. C'est la vie.
    Please.
    You are the one who came asking me why I felt the way I felt about this issue after I gave my initial opinion - not the other way around.
    I explained where I was coming from because 1/ you quoted me and told me you didn't understand my perspective, and 2/ because when people quote me I try to answer them out of politeness.
    Don't rewrite history now saying I explained this to try and change how you and others feel about this issue, that's both false and extremely unpleasant.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardEugenius View Post

Yeah I like the androgynous look of the High Summoner but I wish Yu's art was as good as his Avengers.
    "Cable was right!"

Will the Summers family be the main focus for X-men in general? Or will it be a rotating cast moving forward? At this point, after the debacle of X-men #2 I think Hickman getting back to Xavier, Mags , Apoc might really help this title out. The down to earth dialogue just isn’t for Hickman which is why his Mags and Apoc are so damn good.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Will the Summers family be the main focus for X-men in general? Or will it be a rotating cast moving forward? At this point, after the debacle of X-men #2 I think Hickman getting back to Xavier, Mags , Apoc might really help this title out. The down to earth dialogue just isn’t for Hickman which is why his Mags and Apoc are so damn good.
    Cyclops is the POV character for X-Men.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I agree with everyone saying it felt off/strange. Surreal or like this is another fantasy or dream Scott is having of him as a good ole aw shucks gee willickers father getting to raise his children and fight monsters together

Did not seem real at all

Rachel and Cable's characterizations very bizarre indeed

I have to attribute Rachel to PTSD from what happened in the future with Ahab (how she got out of that remains completely unaddressed as well)

It had its semi comic moments but overall a bit silly

I did like the concept of the two islands mating/merging that was kinda neat. And the Summoners are cool I guess.

Definitely seems even more obvious now Arakko and Limbo are tied together
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Are we calling him Dadclops yet?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I absolutely LOVE this issue.
    The main reasons being: the newness and interestingness of ALL of it...viz:
    1: Scott's interactions with his children. (not his usual, uptight, boring self, at all)
    2: Rachel and Nathan's interactions with each other as siblings. (easy and fun...I know it's probably not the same Nathan she mind-spoke with when he was just born in UXM 201...but still...)
    3: The Summoner and Krakoa+Arakko/Apocalypse history (I can't wait for more of this...loveloveLOVE!!!!).
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    That remains your personal take on this set-up. Which again is fine, as I said yesterday.
    It seems fairly well-supported by the comics. Rachel and Kid Cable's relationship is now familial.

He's a poor fac simile of the original Cable
    Who was a poor facsimile of many other media in general, thanks Rob.

and, as any poor fac simile who came before him and any who are bound to come after him, he'll be discarded somewhere down the line in the future.
    That's just how comics are.
    Sure, probably. For now, I find him far more interesting than the original who was beyond played out.

"His Younger self changed history."
    Your words.
    So, what happens when people go back in time to change history? They create diverging timelines.
    Ergo, The Reason why Cable didn't remember doing any of the things Kable did is because each of them belong to different timelines.
    Ergo, Kable is not Cable.
    CQFD.
    Not sure how many times I have to say this, but this will be the last: Old and Young Nate's backstory and life experience up to his age in Extermination is identical. He simply made different choices from there. Future timeline aside, which of course will vary (or most likely simply been folded back in someday a la the O5), as far as his past pre-Extermination existing relationships with Scott, Jean, etc. he is the same Nathan Dayspring Summers as before. You know that, you just don't like it. Ask his dad, his mom, his family; they call him Cable. He may be #notyourcable, but that sounds like a personal problem.

It's as if you were saying AoA-Magneto was the same character than 616-Magneto because they share the same past until the death of Xavier.
    That'd be absurd.
    Not if you'd plucked Erik out of Israel before Charles' death, which was the change point. Then, due to identical events, they would essentially be the same man at different points in time. Which is where Nate is still at when we're speaking solely in terms of the youthful Nathan's prior relationships in the Summers family, before the original elder Cable traveled back in time. Which is all anyone has been doing.

Please.
    You are the one who came asking me why I felt the way I felt about this issue after I gave my initial opinion - not the other way around.
    No. I was telling you why I don't and anchoring it in my and others' perspective on recent and past events, which you find unacceptable and keep trying to argue about. You can walk away from this at any time. We simply disagree, and that's fine.

I don’t believe for a minute that the original Cable won’t come back to be Hope‘s daddy again. Do you really think he didn’t remember killing himself as a teenager and make preparations for that day?