Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Time for the unpopular opinion: I figured out why I'm not overly fond of Hickman's issues so far. The first issue of X-men, New Mutants, and this all felt very... hollow in a way. They were almost without personality when they shouldn't have been - they're very dry to me. Compare that to any other Dawn of X title and it's disappointing; it makes me think that Hickman, who is a wonderful plotter, architect, and engineer could use a co-writer to do scripting and to inject life into his characters that they otherwise do not really have.
    Hickman does have a co-write on New Mutants and IDA that that book was hollow with no personality. It was full of it IMO. That book was fun and the characters popped with life. Other than that, IA in terms of Hickman's style. He is a better plotter than he is a scripter

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Time for the unpopular opinion: I figured out why I'm not overly fond of Hickman's issues so far. The first issue of X-men, New Mutants, and this all felt very... hollow in a way. They were almost without personality when they shouldn't have been - they're very dry to me. Compare that to any other Dawn of X title and it's disappointing; it makes me think that Hickman, who is a wonderful plotter, architect, and engineer could use a co-writer to do scripting and to inject life into his characters that they otherwise do not really have.
    It's definitely a weak spot.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Hickman does have a co-write on New Mutants and IDA that that book was hollow with no personality. It was full of it IMO. That book was fun and the characters popped with life. Other than that, IA in terms of Hickman's style. He is a better plotter than he is a scripter
    Hickman scripted NM #1, not Brisson.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

New Mutants was a little different. I felt like there were certain exchanges that were full of exposition, and that only certain characters (Illyana, Roberto, Rahne) felt like they were uniquely themselves. Admittedly, it was better than this issue and X-Men for me.

Rachel and Nate were both very off-kilter here for me. Rachel constantly calling Scott 'father' in such a stilted, distant manner and Cable - even as a teenager - would never just sort of go off half-cocked like that.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

the two issues lacked a real story. There wasn't much happening in this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    I dunno. In light of today's 'Gawd, I still haven't figured out how to get rid of my crazy exes without getting murdered, thanks for reminding me' bit, I wouldn't bat an eyelash if Scott faked eco-friendliness just to irritate Emma.
    Crazy exes is the very well knows excuse bad boyfriends give.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It's not that, really. I'm okay with the set-up of the first two issues so far. It's the characterization that's off for me.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Hickman scripted NM #1, not Brisson.
    They both co-wrote the first issue

You dont need alot of story to have characters written well. Some of the best character moments happen when not much happens at all

New Mutants was a little different. I felt like there were certain exchanges that were full of exposition, and that only certain characters (Illyana, Roberto, Rahne) felt like they were uniquely themselves. Admittedly, it was better than this issue and X-Men for me.

Rachel and Nate were both very off-kilter here for me. Rachel constantly calling Scott 'father' in such a stilted, distant manner and Cable - even as a teenager - would never just sort of go off half-cocked like that.
    Id throw Doug and Mondo in there as well.

IA on the Summers kids. It was a bit cringeworthy and I dislike Hickman's Cable. Brisson did better in X-Force
    Last edited by Havok83; 11-13-2019 at 03:24 PM.

So the summoner is apocalypse child?

Summoners and summers?? Sounds oddly alike

BANNED

They both co-wrote the first issue
    Brisson may have a plotting credit but IIRC both he and Hickman have said Hickman wrote the first two issues, implied solo. I've also read enough Hickman to tell when it's him. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I loved it.

Was it perfect? No.

Hickman had the characters say the word "bit" three times over, like, two pages. It drove me nuts!

But I don't need perfection -- just a fun comic. And this was fun! The family banter was weird and hilarious; there were strange beings and powerful demons; heck, islands had sex!

Great stuff, Hickman.

-Pav, who liked the Apocalypse stuff too...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Brisson may have a plotting credit but IIRC both he and Hickman have said Hickman wrote the first two issues, implied solo. I've also read enough Hickman to tell when it's him. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
    Ed Brisson:
    What I can say is, we’re gonna be starting out the series with the core team of the New Mutants. So on the team that everybody loves, somebody’s missing. It’s Cannonball. And Bobby wants his friend Cannonball to come to Krakoa and experience that greatness that is Krakoa for mutants. So the New Mutants hitch a ride with the Starjammers, and they are headed out to Shi’ar to get Cnanoball and bring him back. Of course, the Starjammers being space pirates, they get into shenanigans that sort of waylay our heroes, so we’ll have a four-issue adventure in space, then Jonathan — Jonathan Hickman and I co-write the first issue — he’ll be taking the space journey to its conclusion and I’m doing a separate story that involves Armor, Glob Hermon, Maxime, and Manon, two characters that I introduced in Extermination. They are acting as sort of the welcome wagon to Krakoa. They’re going out and finding mutants who are abroad, who haven’t come into Krakoa, and sort of spreading the good word about Krakoa, trying to convince them to come back and live with everyone else there
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...tants-at-nycc/

Both men are credited for the first issue bc both wrote but it in the next few, only one will be credited bc they switch off as Brisson handles the kids and Hickman does the space stuf

You dont need alot of story to have characters written well. Some of the best character moments happen when not much happens at all
    You are right, characters interactions doesn't need a heavy story

Hickman's character writing was perfectly fine on Fantastic Four, FF and Secret Warriors. I agree that everybody but Cyclops has felt a little off in X-Men; I didn't actually have that problem with HOXPOX.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Crazy exes is the very well knows excuse bad boyfriends give.
    There's actual AUs/What Ifs? devoted to a-certain-someone-that-Summers-jerk-couldn't-even-be-bothered-to-mention-while-planning-a-vacation-with-his-kid murdering Scott and/or Emma via the Phoenix Force. Just sayin'. Crazy is an amusingly polite/generous understatement, really.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Hickman's character writing was perfectly fine on Fantastic Four, FF and Secret Warriors. I agree that everybody but Cyclops has felt a little off in X-Men; I didn't actually have that problem with HOXPOX.
    I think it's more notable in X-Men and New Mutants because in HoXPoX we were focusing mainly on Xavier, Moira, and Magneto - Xavier was intentionally meant to feel off, his Magneto is actually alright, and Moira was being written as an entirely new character so there wasn't space for anything TO feel off.

Meanwhile now he's handling bigger names with more defined personalities and struggling for it.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 11-13-2019 at 04:23 PM.