Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Le sigh. I don't get the discussion. Hickman is great at world-building, plotting and writing older characters. He's not so good at writing younger characters acting their age. I mean, it's one of those 'take the good with the bad, you knew what the score was all along, sheesh' scenarios.
    I know you are speaking "in general" but I personally don't think I'm whining about the writing. Just saying that HoX/PoX were amazing, and that so Far, some dialogues (some) for X-Men felt off.
    I'm maybe love X-Men as much as I could, because of the art. It's not bad, but Yu's art is not my cup of tea.

I'm not complaining. Just sharing my point of view. It won't stop me from enjoying DoX, as most of the books so far a good to very good imo.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    I don't see the problem in the dialogues. Summers have never been a real family like F4. Here we've a kid version of a character who we knew as 50+ years old.
    A daughter who came from another world and less than 5 years younger than the man she wants to call father.
    The dialogue is supposed to feel off.

The art is just bad.
    Also the worldbuilding is still going on than other books.
    That's not whatpeople mean by dialogue being off. The dialogue is inhumanly off as if it's being written by a computer. Even Vulcans don't talk this stiff. And pretty much every character is speaking in the same voice.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Because, for all intent and purpose, the three of them have never been on a field mission together.
    But they have. Cable's entire life was a field mission with Scott and Jean. Rachel and Scott have missioned with each other plenty of times over the years.

And missions aren't a whole lot different from normal life, frankly.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 11-14-2019 at 06:31 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Aren’t the next couple of issues supposed to focus back on other characters? From the synopsis it seems like Others will
    Be involved. I’m hopeful that getting Hickman away from the Summers family for a bit can get this book back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    That's not whatpeople mean by dialogue being off. The dialogue is inhumanly off as if it's being written by a computer. Even Vulcans don't talk this stiff. And pretty much every character is speaking in the same voice.
    This is a major problem on x-men book, I don't know why people are on defensive because of critics.
    Critics as long as constructive are good

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Using that, telling yourself as a married man about who you are to yourself in high school, would it make sense to them? These are completely different characters to how they've ever acted, and we are given zero clue how they got to where they are. That's a major problem, especially in serialized fiction.
    Feels like we have to accept oOC as long as it story is good and Hickman is writing.

Le sigh. I don't get the discussion. Hickman is great at world-building, plotting and writing older characters. He's not so good at writing younger characters acting their age. I mean, it's one of those 'take the good with the bad, you knew what the score was all along, sheesh' scenarios.
    He wrote kids very well on his FF run
    Last edited by spirit2011; 11-14-2019 at 07:36 AM.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I actually feel like this series would benefit from a more self aware illustration style. One that mimics the retro style of Byrne. This is clearly the Classic book, make it look like it and the dialogue would be much more fitting.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I think the dialogue is clunky in places, but I don't have a problem with how any of the characters are behaving. This is a group of people who have wanted to be a real family for a long time but haven't really been able to because of death, time travel, or some other fight always getting in the way. With the new set up of Krakoa they have the opportunity to be together for the first time, but they don't quite know how that works yet. So it's going to be a little awkward and there's going to be a little role playing until they figure out this new dynamic. The thing with Rachel forgetting her telepathy was dumb, but without delaying that moment there would have been no action or conflict in the book.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    He wrote kids very well on his FF run
    Fair enough about the FF brats. I was rather referring to his young adult characters overall. Even when they have good dialogue, it sounds hilariously/distressingly rehearsed. Should've added the precision.

Fair enough about the FF brats. I was rather referring to his young adult characters overall. Even when they have good dialogue, it sounds hilariously/distressingly rehearsed. Should've added the precision.
    I thought he was good on sam and roberto on Avengers. But seems like his dialog got alot worse

BANNED

Beyond the stiff dialogue and emotionless art, I think the main problem is none of the cast felt like real people. No one showed any particular emotion or did anything remarkable. The only attempt at that was Cable thinking a grenade made an appropriate gift and that fell flat. Cyclops asking Rachel to go on a vacation with him was particulary tone deaf considering her history with the Shiar. This book needs soul and its weird Hickman cant inject any in it considering New Mutants was the absolute opposite. Maybe Cyclops is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Beyond the stiff dialogue and emotionless art, I think the main problem is none of the cast felt like real people. No one showed any particular emotion or did anything remarkable. The only attempt at that was Cable thinking a grenade made an appropriate gift and that fell flat. Cyclops asking Rachel to go on a vacation with him was particulary tone deaf considering her history with the Shiar. This book needs soul and its weird Hickman cant inject any in it considering New Mutants was the absolute opposite. Maybe Cyclops is the problem.
    Xavier also just died, we saw Magneto mourning but Cyclops is on dad jokes mode
    Last edited by spirit2011; 11-14-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    He also had Brisson as a co-writer on New Mutants, so there's that. X-men is all him

I love Hickman when he writes highly complex "hard to get" stories. He's really brillant at them.
    I'm not much into (some of) his "casual" dialogues. It's just like he doesn't know how to write them, and they feel inappropriate.
    Last edited by franckd; 11-14-2019 at 10:57 AM.

I did enjoy the book but agree with the dialogue. Cable made me cringe so many times.

I think this should have been the second part of issue 1 though, instead of the summers family dinner we got.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Honestly other than Rachel and the Arrako dude, I didn't care for this issue of X-Men
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account