Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Fallen Angels [01] : Spoilers

I was lazy and took spoilers and added my thoughts; sorry not sorry. I want to talk about this issue.

In Tokyo a young girl witha butterfly tattoo on her neck puts a device on, gains powers, and destroys the train killing everyone and states the name: "Apoth."

The eyes bleed black. Did anyone else think the Summoner had similar eyes?

On Krakoa, Psylocke (Kwannon, but she is now refusing that name) receives a psychic message warning her that she needs to find this new god, Apoth, and kill it. The message tells her that Apoth has taken something of hers.

Psylocke goes to Magneto for permission to leave Krakoa, but since Xavier's assassination, the island is on lockdown and no one is able to leave.

He asks her what he should call her and she says she is going by Psylocke. They don't give a reasoning for it. It's just given to us very matter of fact. But I do hope the delve in to this a little more.

But I guess since we're going with the retcon that she has been inside the body this entire time along side Betsy. She may feel like the name is hers as well.

We know business-wise why she is keeping the name. But story wise why would she want to wear the costume and keep the name of the woman that inhabited her body for the last 10 yrs comic verse time. Magneto says that Betsy hates him. Well she did kill you. Even though I think you kind of allowed it.

And asks her if she remembers when Betsy psy-knifed him. She says she is NOT Elizabeth Braddock. He denies her request, but suggests she contact Sinister as he may have some interest in her visions. Sinister doesnt find Psylocke boring, so he gives her permission to leave, but will not let her go alone. She tells him that no one on the island trusts her, but Sinister assures her she can find others who need to destroy something as much as she does.

She finds X-23 and Cable who are sparring by a fire while everyone else is partying. Laura hates the safety of the island, and she and Cable agree that Psylocke is not a safe person. Betsy tries to speak with Psylocke but nuPsylocke says there is no need.

I didnt really like this portrayal of their dynamic but I'm giving both writers an arc to sort out the Betsy/"Kwannon" interaction. I just hope they do not drag it out.

Psylocke and Laura travel to Tokyo and learn that Apoth is a mysterious being who has put a new drug on the market: Overclock. Matsuo gets name dropped. Overclock is a digital narcotic that makes people go crazy...? A woman shows them a video of the train attack. The girl who carried out the attack has a butterfly tattooed on her neck...

They are really driving in the butterfly point more towards nuPsylocke/"Kwannon"/I guess we dont really know her REAL name.

...a flashback shows that Kwannon had a baby daughter who was taken from her by her former master, who also gave her the name Kwannon. The baby was marked with a butterfly tattoo. Psylocke shares her past with Laura telepathically, and Laura is now all in to help her.

Apoth took something from "Kwannon". It was her daughter who caused that train explosion while under Overclock

They go to a barn outside of Tokyo full of children using Overclock. They try to help the children, but their devices activate, killing them in a mass overdose. One child survives, and Apoth speaks through him, warning Psylocke and Laura to leave him be. He then kills the child and vanishes.

Psylocke and Laura return to Sinister with Cable. She tells him that if he keeps her team's existence secret from the council, she will bring him Apoth so he can take his genetics before she kills him. Sinister agrees and Psylocke tells Laura and Nathan to recruit a few more members that they can trust: "You're caterpillars. Glistening and soft. But I can make you butterflies."
    Last edited by CGAR; 11-13-2019 at 09:23 AM.

The final part where Kwannon manages to convince Sinister thanks to Cable's presence has reminded me that Sinister is technically his grandfather. After all, he even has his name. This is weird and fucked. I liked it.

BANNED

Now I get to repost more:

I had a growing feeling this would be a dark horse after reading Hill’s interviews, despite not being enamored with the team and having an existing distaste for Kwannon in general. It is easily one of the best books of the line and frankly I wish Excalibur was as weird as this. I hope it will be.

I’m still not thrilled she is keeping the codename but I get it in story and for branding, and I frankly doubt it’s forever. I think someday she (whoever she really is) will want to move beyond it herself. They sold me on her in one issue. Betsy has been my favorite X-Man for almost three decades, I’ve never had a particular attachment to her Asian body and wanted her to go back to her original one long before she ever did. Either way, she’s now got a counterpart to live up to - because this was very good and “Kwannon” is fascinating.

I also don’t want Betsy too softened up to contrast the two or fit the mold of her brother’s mantle, and that’s something I worry about. Betsy was hardcore before and after Kwannon and the Hand. I am glad for them addressing her recent past with Magneto in FA, because that drives that point home.
    I loved this and even if it is a short lived book, it should catapult Hill to the top of the X-heap. It also made me instantly invest in Kwannon/Psylocke II, a character I have never given a solitary **** for. Excalibur is going to have to step it up for Betsy in kind, and frankly it’s not a trippy or moody enough book for me yet.

I do hope we eventually learn her real name. And more about her background and original power set, which at this point is quite murky. Wasn’t she supposed to be a private assassin who only had an affair with Matsuo (I’m not adding the damn apostrophe because IIRC as a kid they only added that to his name in the dumb original Revanche story), and it was Matsuo who was affiliated with the Hand, not her?
    Last edited by powerpax; 11-13-2019 at 09:18 AM.

I found it interesting the parts where we infer that all the years that Betsy was in Kwannon's body that Kwannon was still present and "in there". So in this respect it makes it easier to understand why she is retaining the Psylocke name even though Betsy was Psylocke before the merger (or whatever) with Kwannon. It is hard to swallow the butterfly imagery with Kwannon and not Betsy but this is only a minor gripe.

Overall, I liked the issue a lot. I loved the darker tone. I loved the inclusion of both Magneto and Sinister. The story is interesting and I can't wait to read more. I said in the other thread that I saw mixed reaction on twitter and after reading the issue I don't understand the negativity I read on X-twitter.

BANNED

This had the best character beats from any of the new books. Psylocke/Magneto, Psylocke/Sinister/ C23/Cable, Psylocke/X23, all great dynamic relationships. Loved that Laura and Sinister werent as cartoony as in recent books. Kwannon is being a far better Psylocke then Psylocke. Art was uneven but the highs were worth the lows and the new outfits were to die for. Cant wait for next issue.

Question the issues says that Apoth took something from "Kwannon". It was her daughter who caused that train explosion while under Overclock, correct?

Surprised that this issue was so good. Art was superb, lots of funny moments. Interesting set up and I'm here for Sinister, Magneto and Kwannon. Probably what X-Force should have been

I thought it was fine. Psylocke had some decent moments and this is obviously some of the bets characterization she’s ever had. But I’ve always enjoyed Hill’s writing and i didn’t expect him to falter here. Especially with a character he’s been very openly appreciative for.

That said, I unfortunately couldn’t gel with the art and the rest of the cast doesn’t do much for me. I doubt I’ll stick with the title past this issue but i hope it stays strong and continues. It’s niche but it fills a nice void for those feeling restricted by Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Question the issues says that Apoth took something from "Kwannon". It was her daughter who caused that train explosion while under Overclock, correct?
    Yes, it was her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Yep.

The whole Apoth/Overclock thing as well as the tone was super Warren Ellis, including some of the messy but underrated Counter-X. These books need more weird Ellis-ness so I am thrilled. I just wish Excalibur for my girl was this good. It was fine but it wasn’t this.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Now I get to repost more:

I loved this and even if it is a short lived book, it should catapult Hill to the top of the X-heap. It also made me instantly invest in Kwannon/Psylocke II, a character I have never given a solitary **** for. Excalibur is going to have to step it up for Betsy in kind, and frankly it’s not a trippy or moody enough book for me yet.

I do hope we eventually learn her real name. And more about her background and original power set, which at this point is quite murky. Wasn’t she supposed to be a private assassin who only had an affair with Matsuo (I’m not adding the damn apostrophe because IIRC as a kid they only added that to his name in the dumb original Revanche story), and it was Matsuo who was affiliated with the Hand, not her?
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. Betsy was fierce and intense before the body swap. So I hope they dont water her down.

But also BEH did an excellent job elevating Kwannon. And sending her on a path that will definitely make her her own person.

I hope Tini Howards steps it up as well when it comes to Betsy Braddock.

Astonishing Member

Still don't know why cable was theirs and I though we'd get a more elaborate answer on why he and Laura would be uncomfortable on the island then safety bad. Theirs stuff I likes and stuff the worrys me. Hopefully a re read of the physia version in better lighting helps, for some reasion I couldn't follow the digital versions, some spots were to dark and looked off. Hope it gets better.

The interactions "Kwannon" had with Magneto and Sinister were pretty damn good. She can hold her own.

BANNED

I've already made my thoughts on X's characterization here clear n the other threads. You can agree with it or not, but I'm sticking to it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Too many of the panels were close-up of faces. Gimme a break, bruv. Nice art, huh?
    Nice setup with good old Silver Age compression.

5/10.

sdhn.jpg
    "Cable was right!"