Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    oooooh! I need issue numbers lol
    Uncanny X-Men Disassembled... Maybe around issues 3-5.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    Because they took away parts of Betsy's character/identity and make them as Kwannon's
    Kwannon was a blank slate. An empath Asian Ninja was all her identity.
    The costume, the purple color, the butterfly, powerset were all part of Betsy's identity.
    The huge retcon - that she's always there inside Betsy's psyche despite Betsy being dead several times, went to astral plane in some occasions, interacted with some of the strongest psy out there and inhibited another new body - doesn't make sense.

Don't get me wrong, I really like FA #1 and the direction they're taking Kwannon. I'm also fine Kwannon replacing Betsy as the current bad ass female Asian Ninja, but she need her own identity aside from being an Asian Ninja.

IMO they could've made this more cleaner:
    - Let's her use the name Kwannon. Her choosing the name Psylocke is not believable if she want to reclaim her own identity. Maybe let people call her Psylocke for an arc or two but Kwannon should be her code name. Not to mention Kwannon has more deeper meaning in Asian culture.
    - Slight change in the costume/Or color scheme. Either way is fine.
    - No telekinesis. Telepathy should be fine since she was an empath anyway.
    - Ressurect her OG body using The Five. But of course, Marvel want more drama so they use Betsy's previous body instead.

But we knew that they're doing these because of money and would've to keep the Psylocke brand. So I guess the brand of Psylocke will continue, nonetheless.. a brand of contradictary.
    Kwannon is not her name. It could not be, it’s the name of the Shinto goddess of mercy. Kwannon was an alias given to her.

Lastly there was not retcon. It’s that fans either didn’t read the original books written by Nicieza. Spiral merged the minds of Betsy Braddock and Kwannon. Revanche and Lsykocke were both Betsy Braddock and both Kwannon. Psylocke’s fighting skills entirely came from Kwannon and being merged with her. Revanche died, but that had nothing to do with Psylocke who was still Betsy Braddock and Kwannon.

She was definitely not the pre Siege Perilous Betsy Braddock, who never would have done things like try to have an affair with Cyclops. Even her voice changed.

I meant the general way she spoke. Original Betsy Braddock was written as a prim and prop socialite. Thst was pretty much gone after the merger with Kwannon.

Original Betsy Braddock never would have slept with some of the men Psylocke slept with.

I don’t think Betsy as she originally was would have been involved with FantoMex, Cable, Thunderbird/Neal, Archangel (she would have the original Warren), etc.

Betsy would’ve totally slept with them. She regularly flirted/played Vixen with Havok (and suggesting they kill him earlier on), posed naked for Colossus and spent most of her time during the Outback years walking around in her lingerie. Hell, if Doug was older she would’ve thrown that thing in a circle for him!

She was never the demure, meek princess people make her out to be. She cursed like a sailor and was always ready to speak her mind. She just couldn’t fight. That’s literally the only thing that changes post swap.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I was referring to this:

The worst x-page I've ever seen. And I love bad comics.

This isn't bad. Bad turns into sweet camp. This? It's horrifically corny. The nadir.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    But Kwannon’s codename was never Psylocke. It was Revanche once but it was never never ever Psylocke. There is no reason for her to claim that name. The name, the butterflies, those were never her. They were always Betsy. This makes no sense to me.
    I know the name was not hers originally. I said the writer explained the motivation for her to keep it. She is basically keeping Psylocke name because Braddock had HER body all those years, and if she was merged within said body without being able to express her own will, then in a way she was Psylocke too. Kwannon is acting out of spite for Betsy having her body. Not sure about the butterfly effects and all of that.... Maybe this will be furthered explored, but that's what I got from it.
    AKA The Minutman Refugee aka Blaquesmith aka DaSynchster!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Park Slope Pixie View Post
    The worst x-page I've ever seen. And I love bad comics.

This isn't bad. Bad turns into sweet camp. This? It's horrifically corny. The nadir.
    I honestly don't even remember this scene. So either I'd blocked it out, or it was after the point I dropped the book (around issue 12). The irony is that before Blue dropped, more people had confidence in Hopeless writing X-23 because of how well he handled her in Arena, (mostly. The head-on Sentinel attack should have been a warning) since Taylor was at the time an unknown quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I honestly don't even remember this scene. So either I'd blocked it out, or it was after the point I dropped the book (around issue 12). The irony is that before Blue dropped, more people had confidence in Hopeless writing X-23 because of how well he handled her in Arena, (mostly. The head-on Sentinel attack should have been a warning) since Taylor was at the time an unknown quality.
    It was the very last issue. The dancing itself wasnt bad, but Laura participating in it was. She should have been on the sidelines watching as she just looked odd in that panel

Most thought Hopeless would be great for a Jean Grey solo bc of how he wrote her in Season 1, but his actual work on the solo had a mixed reaction from fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It was the very last issue. The dancing itself wasnt bad, but Laura participating in it was. She should have been on the sidelines watching as she just looked odd in that panel
    I don't mind at all the idea that Laura might have decided she enjoys dancing. It's athletic and good exercise. Liu laid some ground work by having Jubilee take her out clubbing, and even KYOST themselves had her go to clubs/dancing with Megan in Target X. It's just the CONTEXT that bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Kwannon is not her name. It could not be, it’s the name of the Shinto goddess of mercy. Kwannon was an alias given to her.

Lastly there was not retcon. It’s that fans either didn’t read the original books written by Nicieza. Spiral merged the minds of Betsy Braddock and Kwannon. Revanche and Lsykocke were both Betsy Braddock and both Kwannon. Psylocke’s fighting skills entirely came from Kwannon and being merged with her. Revanche died, but that had nothing to do with Psylocke who was still Betsy Braddock and Kwannon.

She was definitely not the pre Siege Perilous Betsy Braddock, who never would have done things like try to have an affair with Cyclops. Even her voice changed.

I meant the general way she spoke. Original Betsy Braddock was written as a prim and prop socialite. Thst was pretty much gone after the merger with Kwannon.

Original Betsy Braddock never would have slept with some of the men Psylocke slept with.

I don’t think Betsy as she originally was would have been involved with FantoMex, Cable, Thunderbird/Neal, Archangel (she would have the original Warren), etc.
    Yeah.. I'm well aware of those.

Kwannon might not be her real name - This is still a new retcon. But at least it was her original codename-alias. Why use Psylocke?

It's too convinient that the first time Betsy died, Kwannon's psyche didn't just die (moved on) or stay dormant in Psylocke's dead body. She just have to come along with Betsy's soul and inhibit the new body constructed by Jamie. Then last time Besty's dead by Sapphire Stix, Kwannon's psyche stay in Psylocke's body - Inconsistency - So this is definitely a retcon.

Original Betsy might look prim and proper. But that's just her upbringing. At heart she's rebellious and adventurous.
    - She became chartered pilot at young age
    - She already drove a car in her pre teen days.
    - Dyed her hair purple which is not the norm on her time.
    - Became a supermodel while joining UK's secret agent of STRIKE, etc

From Philly but currently living iin San Francisco.

Why did Jamie create Betsy's new body in Kwannon's image? I never understood that part. Also is the body Kwannon is now the one Betsy left behind in that Wolverine mini?

Quote Originally Posted by saahir View Post
    Why did Jamie create Betsy's new body in Kwannon's image? I never understood that part. Also is the body Kwannon is now the one Betsy left behind in that Wolverine mini?
    At that time, he was looking for a weapon against Anti Phoenix - First Foursaken.

That body isn't even OG Kwannon anymore (hence the purple hair/eyes and Wolverine still recognized her as Psylocke-Betsy). It's been merged/tempered with magic and science by Hand and MOjo/Spiral to be a weapon for the Mandarin (or Hand?).

Maybe he's just using that template and tempered it furthered (down to dna level) so then Psylocke was an immune to any psychic attack and has immense mountain shattering telekinetic power.

Who knows what Mad Jamie was thinking?

CMMIW But I've heard that that was the 2nd time Claremont denied Betsy's being back to her OG body (the first one in X-treme X-Men) - Marvel prefer the Asian Ninja with thong Psylocke.

Like the story and the artwork a lot. I seem to be the odd one out of the X-23 fanbase, given that I can kinda see why some people thought the character was "off," but I wasn't overly bothered (it seemed within the characterization range, if that makes any sense). Heck, my complaint was that Gabby was unaccounted for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryllyrd View Post
    I really didn’t like this issue at all. It just served as a big push to force the whole “Kwannon is Psylocke you guys, she always was! She always had butterflies flying out of her ass 24/7, always had purple eyes!” editorial mandate to keep a popular trademark character going while removing the troublesome “white woman in Asian body” problem. It’s just transparent, lazy, cut and paste storytelling and insulting to previously established stuff and the characters.

Kwannon is basically cosplaying as Betsy Braddock as Psylocke in her old body now...only now she’s in her old body. It’s dumb. It’s awkward. If anyone really gave a **** about Kwannon they’d give her a fresh look, name and power set of her own.
    Funny, I had zero history with the Betsy Braddock version of Psylocke and that era of the comics in general, and was mostly indifferent to the idea of Kawannon Psylocke being in this series (here for X-23). After reading this one, I really like this character and am very interested to see where she goes.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)