Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Today was an interesting day. We had two totally different books, almost the exact opposite.

Hickman's X-Men is full of new ideas. But the character voices are totally wrong. Everyone talks like that Steve Buscemi meme.

Fallen Angels started with a cliched and uninteresting premise. But the character dynamics and the dialogue were so good it makes you wonder what Hill is planning with Psy, Laura and Cable.

I hate the whole Kwannon affair and HATE that she got the butterfly effect from Betsy. But at least she will get a backstory and maybe can be a character on her own. This first issue was a good first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    What Laura means (and given that Hill is into Bushido he'd know this)is that, Complacency makes you lazy and soft. It makes you take your eye off the ball and stop trying. You need challenges in life to make you strong resilient. I read nothing in the book that gave me the impression that Laura and Kwannon want to go around looking for fights. They are not animals and Hill isn't writing them as that. They are being very purposeful.

The X-Men, who are based on the Jewish people, under Claremont, were always written as type A personalities and sitting and being passive is not in their nature.

"A Jew never stands still unless standing before God".- Rabbi Jonathan Sacks.
    In fact, Kwannon lightly chastises X-23 and Cable for wasting energy with their sparring. What they need is a mission for a proper reason to fight.

How much influence did Kwannon actually have on Betsy? I remember back in the 90s they blamed her aggressiveness and coming onto Scott as part of Kwannon's psyche influencing Betsy. Will they blame Betsy's bloodlust we've seen since X-Force on Kwannon affecting her persona?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    How much influence did Kwannon actually have on Betsy? I remember back in the 90s they blamed her aggressiveness and coming onto Scott as part of Kwannon's psyche influencing Betsy. Will they blame Betsy's bloodlust we've seen since X-Force on Kwannon affecting her persona?
    I think it might be more like their personalities blended together. Betsy got more aggressive and violent thanks to Kwannons influence. Perhaps what Kwannon got was Betsy's strong sense of justice and altruism. As terrible as an experience as it must have been, perhaps she also learned what it meant to be a hero.

Because the flashbacks of her training make it seem like she was conditioned to view herself more as weapon than a person.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho_mbb View Post
    Moreover, this decrease of Psylocke, as if she were a poor innocent before the body exchange does not hold. It was the same psylocke who had suggested killing Havock,
    Truly Braddock's greatest hero moment

BANNED

Well. Can't add more to what everyone else has already said. I am very pleased. It was a well written book and was substance. I will admit that I was a bit skeptical about Hill given some of his interviews. But the dude is not all talk, he can actually puts his big brain on the page. It's also nice to see a semblance of the old Laura back. Mature, and sensible. Not WWE wrestler or CW teen.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I just never had a problem with Laura lightening up, but I had no great love for the early character so I'm biased. I always find the no-contractions stoic killer thing mad cheesy these days. You can only take that so far before a character has to evolve.
    What's regressive about being a quiet and serious person?

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Truly Braddock's greatest hero moment
    I wish I could like comments here. lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Betsy wanted to kill Havok soon after joining the XMen. She was always bloodthirsty.

Edit: well Im late. she was eager to prove her dedication to the cause. The minute she joined the XMen Betsy did everything in her power to climb the hierarchy climaxing in her making the decision to send everyone through the Siege Perilous. She was an overachiever.
    Last edited by tuck frump; 11-13-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Betsy wanted to kill Havok soon after joining the XMen. She was always bloodthirsty.

Edit: well Im late.
    She didnt become a murderer until X-Force. Suggesting that Wolverine kill someone and then she casually killing her opponents are two different things

Oh yeah, and a big internet point for having Magneto still sulking about the time Betsy killed his ass, even though he totally deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Oh yeah, and a big internet point for having Magneto still sulking about the time Betsy killed his ass, even though he totally deserved it.
    No he didnt. She was a big hypocrite and she's lucky he didnt come for her the way he did Emma Frost bc she'd have deserved it

I really didn’t have any interest in any of these characters, was just picking up all the #1’s with the exception of New Mutants. But I really liked this, art, dialogue, set up. I’ll stick around awhile....

Kawannon curve game mad strong, lol
    Last edited by DIVINITY; 11-13-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    #MagnetoWasRight

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Fallen Angels beats Marauders as being the best new X-Book I have read. Kwannon truly snapped in this issue
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Sinister goading Psylocke into talking about how shed kill Betsy was the most exciting part of the issue. I hope theres a story planned dealing with them coming to terms with what happened and not just empty teasing.
    I don't see what they can do that would be satisfying though. Betsy apologise? She was explictly ashamed of what had happened to Kwannon in Rxcalibur #1 and seemed to be all but showing her belly here when Kwannon brushed her off. The lack of intent makes it hard for any good resolution from Kwannon's side.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

yukio from the wolverine movie, but the comic version, could be cool to have on the team, who else do you want on the team?
    we can be heroes, just for one day