Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Hey, something from a Bunn book was referenced. That’s cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    like i stated in the other thread, laura's "safe is lame" motivation feels reductive to me. kid cable is weird and also shallow. the new bad guy mystery just wasn't interesting and feels kinda Arkea-ish. i kind of lost interest halfway through reading it.
    Think it's supposed to be taken less as "safe is lame", and more "I am beset upon by existential ennui; for this is a world to which I know not a place in."... the phrasing could have been better.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    She definitely is in a transitional period and that shines a light on a lot of her actions throughout. I think the moodiness of the art really sells how dreary it feels for those who sit outside of Krakoa’s comfort and “Xavier’s peace” while still remaining active members of the mutant nation. Hopefully since I’m not discussing actual story beats then this won’t count as spoiler talk. I’m really invested in Psylocke and her story as she’s finally acting in her own agency without being reduced to “I am Nothing *sadface*” or Logan’s lapdog.

It felt like this book received the least of the Dawn of X exposure and momentum and I’m disappointed that there wasn’t a bigger push behind this.
    Expanding on this with spoilers now, it’s clear from Psylocke’s in a transitional period and in this (probably unhealthy but cathartic) bender of a quest to kill a god, she manages to spot out two mutants who have been almost molded in violence and destruction. And that’s not to say that they haven’t evolved past that, but sitting still has always been hard for them even when they found productive ways to sort through their trauma and come out the other side more sure of themselves.

Psylocke pushes herself in the same role she’d seen her abusers take in order to make them into a fighting force but I think X-23 and Cable will end up showing her how to be true to herself and not vice-versa.

BANNED

Why do X-23 fans love Taylor’s chipper, sassy X-23 but consider her more moody characterization here ooc? Is good characterization based amount of panel time?

Mighty Member

If this wasn’t Kwannon just replacing Psylocke, I would have liked it better. Taking all the things that were Betsy and giving it to Kwannon seems too much. The butterfly. The purple hair. The purple eyes. These aren’t traits that were Kwannon’s when she was growing up, but it seems they are in flashbacks. And that’s not he original body, so she shouldn’t have been there “screaming”. Most things I liked. Others were heavy handed that “this is Psylocke”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post

where is Gambit and his the best ribs in the south then you need them
    OTOH, other books (most recently the Logan Legacy) have shown that she may enjoy dancing.

Hopeless and Bendis, two creators that X-23 fans supposedly loathe, show Laura dancing. What do y’all even want for the character anymore?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Why do X-23 fans love Taylor’s chipper, sassy X-23 but consider her more moody characterization here ooc? Is good characterization based amount of panel time?
    It's not about "chipper" vs. "moody." It's about Bendispeak like "Peace Sucks" and "Five by Five." It's about Laura being perfectly cool with the fact that Kwannon is planning to kill anyone they come across at that farmhouse.

Hopeless and Bendis, two creators that X-23 fans supposedly loathe, show Laura dancing. What do y’all even want for the character anymore?
    Hopeless didn't write The Logan Legacy. Tim Seely wrote that issue. And as far as Bendis' sins, having Laura go dancing isn't exactly very high on the WTF-o-Meter. It's also one of the few examples of ACTUAL development building on a previous writer (Liu).
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 11-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.

This is actually fairly good, she's at least in archtype; there were two questionable lines; "Safety sucks" and "5 by 5"; the rest seems mostly in target, I am at least not screaming "Who are you and what did you do with?!" like I did with Bendis, and Hopeless.

We are left with several questions relative to where we had seen her last, but whether these are plot holes or plot points are yet to be seen.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Why do X-23 fans love Taylor’s chipper, sassy X-23
    i like Marjorie Liu's emo X-23

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It's not about "chipper" vs. "moody." It's about Bendispeak like "Peace Sucks" and "Five by Five." It's about Laura being perfectly cool with the fact that Kwannon is planning to kill anyone they come across at that farmhouse.
    Technically, five by five is Whedonspeak. Still not right for Laura.

BANNED

There is definitely plenty of “Bendisspeak” in Taylor’s runs.

BANNED

Pls tell Hill-sama he made me dig a character I had zero time for before this

Hopeless didn't write The Logan Legacy. Tim Seely wrote that issue. And as far as Bendis' sins, having Laura go dancing isn't exactly very high on the WTF-o-Meter. It's also one of the few examples of ACTUAL development building on a previous writer (Liu).
    I was referring to this: