Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Miles was literally built off of Peter Parker’s death and namesake. Whether he was in 616, 1610, 295, 1218, it doesn’t erase that he’s also a legacy that was able to become his own character through the Spidey brand. Which is what Hill is doing with Psy.
    Peter was dead in that world and that had no bearing on the main Peter which people grasp on and have cared about for decades. I see where your going but its not the same thing. Its alot easier to take risk and not have the audience respond negatively to that in an AU. Like most people dont complain when we see major changes to X-characters in AU stories, which have little to no relevance on the main line. Had Miles been created in 616 under the same circumances he was in the Ultimate line, he'd have had a harder time climbing up that hill.

I thought you were referring to the debate around X-23’s character in this thread which was generally about her presence as role in the book and not necessarily a particular line.
    that line would have been problematic if it was serving to establish her personal mission statement within this book which the writer has back down from bc he realized it didnt fit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Gulo View Post
    I think most people dont take issue with Laura wanting to help psy with her child tortured and abuses kids hits home pretty hard for Laura, she just seems off character in her mannerisms and motivations ( prior to learning about psylokes baby) . Sparring in front of a bond fire because "safety is lame" kinda cringe inducing, Laura has always bin pretty stoic but that shell has softened over the years shes by no means a social butterfly but this just was way off and her wanting to setp out of Logans shadow comment didnt make any sense either another aspect of her character she has overcome some time ago
    Krakoa marks the first time mutants get to feel "safe", we can infer from past stories but theres no frame of reference to say decisively how Laura would react. She was always goal oriented.

Sparring felt like a nice nod to Claremont when characters would always do this kind of thing.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Sparring felt like a nice nod to Claremont when characters would always do this kind of thing.
    I think that scene could have worked better if there was more space for it in the book and with much better art, but as it is, it just felt hollow and out of place. The flirty vibes were nice though.

Was it about two pages or something between Laura saying “you don’t know us and we don’t know you” to calling Kwannon Psy like they’re old buddies?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I think that scene could have worked better if there was more space for it in the book and with much better art, but as it is, it just felt hollow and out of place. The flirty vibes were nice though.
    Pace was quite fast which Idk if it was a good idea but worked well enough for me. This book was swimming upstream since the moment it got announced, decompression would not have done it any favor.

What I really loved is Hill went off the easy route of treating Psylocke from the getgo the way fandom sees her, as a footnote to Betsys character and a blank page. She has history, she has experience, she has trauma of her own completely independent from Braddock and it informs the story even more then the bodyswitch. That was a bold move.

Thanks for this. Connecting Kwannon with Guan Yin (it's spelled many different ways) is pretty fascinating. I'm a fan of Ascended Masters so this was really cool.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

You don't understand why Laura would want to save kids. Or sympathize with a mother who lost her daughter. Mmmmmm.
    That is LITERALLY not what anyone is saying.

I'm so glad they got somebody who actually knows **** about Japan to write this book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That is LITERALLY not what anyone is saying.
    And i was LITERALLY replying to one person. Go outside and take a breath.

All-New Member

For me was a crap edition with some nonsense. If Nicieza created the original body-mess the writer simply ignore the characters in a bad sense. The name to start.
    There are several ways she can take the name for a start. Not for a certain freshness. Besides, was she numb? Oh really? And is Psylocke to blame for the body exchange? BODY EXCHANGE. I thought it was her boyfriend - AFTER SHE FALL FROM A CLIFF ... If she was numb, who took Betsy's body claiming to be her and was part of the x-men in the 90's as Revanche? If she was numb, who released the memories of both? Who died at the time? Now we have a third new element?
    Moreover, this decrease of Psylocke, as if she were a poor innocent before the body exchange does not hold. It was the same psylocke who had suggested killing Havock, and made the x-men go through Siege Perilous. The change of body was merely aesthetic. There was no change of character. It was the same. Some background stuff seemed interesting, but at the same time now she will also use the butterfly, which has always been a symbol of betsy, will become a complete telepath when in the original story of nicieza she had few empathic powers?
    It all started with Nicieza with her notion that Japanese and Chinese don't have the slightest difference to begin with. If the Mandarin gangs wouldn't follow a Caucasian as much as a Japanese at the time... But they made that story. They restore the english body. Why move it further to satisfy the SJW?

BANNED

What I really loved is Hill went off the easy route of treating Psylocke from the getgo the way fandom sees her, as a footnote to Betsys character and a blank page. She has history, she has experience, she has trauma of her own completely independent from Braddock and it informs the story even more then the bodyswitch. That was a bold move.
    It was the only move to make this work. Because a footnote is all she was until now. He did very well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by psycho_mbb View Post
    For me was a crap edition with some nonsense. If Nicieza created the original body-mess the writer simply ignore the characters in a bad sense. The name to start.
    There are several ways she can take the name for a start. Not for a certain freshness. Besides, was she numb? Oh really? And is Psylocke to blame for the body exchange? BODY EXCHANGE. I thought it was her boyfriend - AFTER SHE FALL FROM A CLIFF ... If she was numb, who took Betsy's body claiming to be her and was part of the x-men in the 90's as Revanche? If she was numb, who released the memories of both? Who died at the time? Now we have a third new element?
    Moreover, this decrease of Psylocke, as if she were a poor innocent before the body exchange does not hold. It was the same psylocke who had suggested killing Havock, and made the x-men go through Siege Perilous. The change of body was merely aesthetic. There was no change of character. It was the same. Some background stuff seemed interesting, but at the same time now she will also use the butterfly, which has always been a symbol of betsy, will become a complete telepath when in the original story of nicieza she had few empathic powers?
    It all started with Nicieza with her notion that Japanese and Chinese don't have the slightest difference to begin with. If the Mandarin gangs wouldn't follow a Caucasian as much as a Japanese at the time... But they made that story. They restore the english body. Why move it further to satisfy the SJW?
    Tldr.

Tldr.
    Apparently the S1Ws are to blame or something.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Too many of the panels were close-up of faces. Gimme a break, bruv. Nice art, huh?
    The extreme closeups worked for me because, frankly, the alternatives were largely either talking head shots or heavily-zoomed out shots that showed the characters practically as silhouettes. This was more interesting. (See Future Foundation #4 this week for the reverse - an artist cramming full-body shots into small panels, which was just... awkward. Or much of Khoi Pham's work on X-Factor, where medium closeups happened when there needed to be an establishing shot.)

Quote Originally Posted by psycho_mbb View Post
    I think holding onto Nicieza's plot from 26 years ago is the wrong way to go as its not likely to be as relevant here and it unnecesarily convolutes things. I think its best to take things as for how Hill is presenting them as he is the writer that will be defining Kwannon in a way she never has been