Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Anyway, I didn’t mind this, but it’s a bit too Japsploitatony for my taste, as I didn’t grow up with the whole Anime/Manga thing. The cybernetic implant with a mind if its own feels very Ghost In The Shell, and katana wielding yakuza can’t be far off.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 11-13-2019 at 01:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Apparently the S1Ws are to blame or something.
    Oh noes. I thought man children loved this one because a woman is wearing a swimming suit in it and that meant it was ideologically aligned with them.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    The extreme closeups worked for me because, frankly, the alternatives were largely either talking head shots or heavily-zoomed out shots that showed the characters practically as silhouettes. This was more interesting. (See Future Foundation #4 this week for the reverse - an artist cramming full-body shots into small panels, which was just... awkward. Or much of Khoi Pham's work on X-Factor, where medium closeups happened when there needed to be an establishing shot.)
    Future Foundation #4 was a feature length chase/fight scene so close-up of faces wasn't gonna cut it. The art team's problem was getting dimensions and perspectives correct so characters looked way too large or smaller than usual. Excalibur and Marauders which were around the same amount of dialogue as this book had art teams that didn't resort to damn close-ups for most of the conversations.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by psycho_mbb View Post
    For me was a crap edition with some nonsense. If Nicieza created the original body-mess the writer simply ignore the characters in a bad sense. The name to start.
    There are several ways she can take the name for a start. Not for a certain freshness. Besides, was she numb? Oh really? And is Psylocke to blame for the body exchange? BODY EXCHANGE. I thought it was her boyfriend - AFTER SHE FALL FROM A CLIFF ... If she was numb, who took Betsy's body claiming to be her and was part of the x-men in the 90's as Revanche? If she was numb, who released the memories of both? Who died at the time? Now we have a third new element?
    Basically, it looks a lot like Hill is taking something essentially identical to Superior Spider-Man as the basis. For the purposes, Revanche was the Peter who died in Doc Ock's body, and what she took from Betsy when she died was just the stuff that was blended in with Betsy. This Kwannon/Psylocke is the Peter who was a ghost in Doc Ock's head, entirely separate from whatever was purged, and released when Betsy was "deleted" (in this case, by being pulled out of the body and then reforming a copy of the original).

We just need to overlook the Claremont death/rebirth (Jamie apparently put her brain back together exactly as it was, including buried-Kwannon) and the Fraction temporary bodyswap (for whatever reason, that didn't reactivate Kwannon).

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Pace was quite fast which Idk if it was a good idea but worked well enough for me. This book was swimming upstream since the moment it got announced, decompression would not have done it any favor.

What I really loved is Hill went off the easy route of treating Psylocke from the getgo the way fandom sees her, as a footnote to Betsys character and a blank page. She has history, she has experience, she has trauma of her own completely independent from Braddock and it informs the story even more then the bodyswitch. That was a bold move.
    What did Hill even have to work with? Kwannon was some random chick training to work for the Hand, slipped on a banana peel and into a coma, woke up in some British chick's body and died from mutant-itis.

Her page just has some scribbles on it.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

I don't mind the retcon. It works and you can't do much without it. The recent end result is not dissimilar to what became of Rogue's piece of Carol Danvers when they went through the Siege Perilous. Actually it's exactly the same.

I loved the abstracted layout/panels. I also am curious to see how they rework/streamline the original backstory. I can't remember if Matsuo (no comma!) was in the Hand or her 'lord' was or whatever the ****.
    Last edited by powerpax; 11-13-2019 at 01:40 PM.

BANNED

Don't think I've ever seen a mood whiplash quite as much as going from this thread to X-Twitter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Don't think I've ever seen a mood whiplash quite as much as going from this thread to X-Twitter.
    Can't imagine what their issue is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    https://twitter.com/bryanedwardhill/...382269952?s=21

oh my god HILL STOPPPPPP I CSN ONLY HOLD SO MUCH LOVE

Seriously, I love when writers just cop to when a line doesn't land as intended instead of pretending the readers are the ones with the issue. It happens, especially with collaborations. Much respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Very much.

As for the book itself, it wasn't a home run for me, but I enjoyed it. I don't entirely buy that safety and boredom would put Laura back on the stoic path, but there's enough of interest going on here that I'll keep reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Anyway, I didn’t mind this, but it’s a bit too Japsploitatony for my taste, as I didn’t grow up with the whole Anime/Manga thing. The cybernetic implant with a mind if its own feels very Ghost In The Shell, and katana wielding yakuza can’t be far off.
    In Japan, even the police typically don't have guns. The Yakuza using swords is actually a real thing. Japan's gun laws are extremely strict. Firing a gun can get you life imprisonment. As odd as it sounds, if you maim someone with a sword you will get a lighter sentence than if you just fired a gun. Thats not to say the Yakuza don't have guns but they do use swords a lot.

Anyway, I liked this issue at a lot. Its nice to see Kwannon will be taking up the psychic ninja assassin aspect of Psylocke and running with it. My favorite scene was Psylocke watching the video, realizing that was her daughter, and getting violently angry in a cold sort of way. lol
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 11-13-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I liked the art, but this felt too convoluted, which is particularly bad with a character with a history like Kwannon (and, no, they didn't provide a decent reason for her to be called Psylocke).
    Spite is a great reason

Another comic ruined by bad coloring. Thanks Frank.

Sorry to be so harsh.

I think Kwannon feelings on Betsy are a complicated mixing of resentment, hatred, and admiration for the good person Betsy is at heart. Kwannon probably hasn't been a good person in her own eyes in her whole life. A part of her would kill Betsy for taking her body and another part would let her live because Betsy is at heart a genuinely good person. So Kwannon will compromise, Betsy can live but they don't have to be friends or even speak.
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 11-13-2019 at 03:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Seriously, I love when writers just cop to when a line doesn't land as intended instead of pretending the readers are the ones with the issue. It happens, especially with collaborations. Much respect.

Very much.

As for the book itself, it wasn't a home run for me, but I enjoyed it. I don't entirely buy that safety and boredom would put Laura back on the stoic path, but there's enough of interest going on here that I'll keep reading.
    What Laura means (and given that Hill is into Bushido he'd know this)is that, Complacency makes you lazy and soft. It makes you take your eye off the ball and stop trying. You need challenges in life to make you strong resilient. I read nothing in the book that gave me the impression that Laura and Kwannon want to go around looking for fights. They are not animals and Hill isn't writing them as that. They are being very purposeful.

The X-Men, who are based on the Jewish people, under Claremont, were always written as type A personalities and sitting and being passive is not in their nature.

"A Jew never stands still unless standing before God".- Rabbi Jonathan Sacks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    I think Kwannon feelings on Betsy are a complicated mixing of resentment, hatred, and admiration for the good person Betsy is at heart. Kwannon probably hasn't been a good person in her own eyes in her whole life. A part of her would kill Betsy for taking her body and another part would let her live because Betsy is at heart a genuinely good person. So Kwannon will compromise, Betsy can live but they don't have to be friends or even speak.
    Sinister goading Psylocke into talking about how shed kill Betsy was the most exciting part of the issue. I hope theres a story planned dealing with them coming to terms with what happened and not just empty teasing.