• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

7 30.43%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

2 8.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default [SPOILERS] Wonder Woman # 82

I’m glad the jet is back

Spectacular Member

The jet is invisible but what is inside is not... it was a bad (dumb) idea before and...it still is. Beside that this issue felt ordinary. A new character (again), no Steve but at least we see Etta.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    The jet is invisible but what is inside is not... it was a bad (dumb) idea before and...it still is. Beside that this issue felt ordinary. A new character (again), no Steve but at least we see Etta.
    You have always been able to see Diana riding the jet but she is invisible also.

I don't know how you could say that when we got guest appearances by the Wonder-Woman of China Peng Deilan who lent Diana her weapons and Natasha Irons who rebuilt the jet from a scrap in under an hour, none of which happens ordinarily.

Besides that and the jet there were Magic Spheres! To the best of my knowledge they haven't been seen in decades, nor has Dr. Asclepia from the WW tv series.

There were so many parts I found interesting, even small things like Diana's hair in her face without the tiara keeping it in place and her red toga.

Nora Nunes could easily be nonbinary and eventually Elysian. They instantly knew Diana was Wonder Woman which was a point I've been making about the lack of the Diana Prince identity but to Agent Z's credit, regardless of that Diana made a new friend. It seemed a little too convenient though.

Despite Cheetah's threats none of the Amazons were actually slaughtered, their wounds were nothing the Purple Healing Ray couldn't fix. Why was that? Cheetah killed Aphrodite without batting an eye, but with the Amazons she seemed brutal yet strangely merciful. It's as if she really does respect them and wants their acceptance.

Why did Diana relocate to Boston when Gateway City was just mentioned in the annual? I thought surely she'd go there.

Loved the sense of community with the cameos and the Justice League teleporting Diana's belongings, even without Steve she still has allies.

Did anyone else notice Nubia, Philippus and Maggie were together when Cheetah attacked, almost like a family? Or that finally Diana was the one to rescue Maggie instead of the other way around and she did it such a badass way. Was that Orlando righting Maggie's Mary Sue dynamic?

The talk of previous continuity with Grail, Herakles, Darkseid and the Bana seemed to be tying up Rebirth and speeding to it's conclusion. The Dark Fates appear to be extensions of the Dark Gods, they fear Diana and it makes sense they'd seek her destruction by any means left to them. Jason is lost in their dimension so I'm willing to bet he'll show up somewhere in WW #750 and hopefully meet his final end. There's still something fishy about his origin, I noticed Hippolyta didn't ask about him when she was reunited with Diana. She made a flowery speech about her only daughter and the pain of a mother being separated from her child but it was like Diana's twin never existed.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 11-14-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Was pretty unimpressed with this issue....the art was amateurish, while the story was all over the place.
    I was kind of excited to see what Orlando might do with something other than fill-ins (I loved his JLA!), but if this is what we have to look forward to....NEXT!!!

Spectacular Member

I don't know how you could say that when we got guest appearances by the Wonder-Woman of China Peng Deilan who lent Diana her weapons and Natasha Irons who rebuilt the jet from a scrap in under an hour, none of which happens ordinarily.
    I liked the cameo be it didn't change what i felt about the issue.

Nora Nunes could easily be nonbinary and eventually Elysian
    Can you develop that ? I don't know what nonbinary and Elysian mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

Besides that and the jet there were Magic Spheres! To the best of my knowledge they haven't been seen in decades, nor has Dr. Asclepia from the WW tv series.

There were so many parts I found interesting, even small things like Diana's hair in her face without the tiara keeping it in place and her red toga.

Nora Nunes could easily be nonbinary and eventually Elysian. They instantly knew Diana was Wonder Woman which was a point I've been making about the lack of the Diana Prince identity but to Agent Z's credit, regardless of that Diana made a new friend. It seemed a little too convenient though.

Despite Cheetah's threats none of the Amazons were actually slaughtered, their wounds were nothing the Purple Healing Ray couldn't fix. Why was that? Cheetah killed Aphrodite without batting an eye, but with the Amazons she seemed brutal yet strangely merciful. It's as if she really does respect them and wants their acceptance.

Why did Diana relocate to Boston when Gateway City was just mentioned in the annual? I thought surely she'd go there.

Loved the sense of community with the cameos and the Justice League teleporting Diana's belongings, even without Steve she still has allies.

Did anyone else notice Nubia, Philippus and Maggie were together when Cheetah attacked, almost like a family? Or that finally Diana was the one to rescue Maggie instead of the other way around and she did it such a badass way. Was that Orlando righting Maggie's Mary Sue dynamic?

The talk of previous continuity with Grail, Herakles, Darkseid and the Bana seemed to be tying up Rebirth and speeding to it's conclusion. The Dark Fates appear to be extensions of the Dark Gods, they fear Diana and it makes sense they'd seek her destruction by any means left to them. Jason is lost in their dimension so I'm willing to bet he'll show up somewhere in WW #750 and hopefully meet his final end. There's still something fishy about his origin, I noticed Hippolyta didn't ask about him when she was reunited with Diana. She made a flowery speech about her only daughter and the pain of a mother being separated from her child but it was like Diana's twin never existed.
    Rucka had the jet in his run.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

I agree with most of this and really enjoy the issue for the most part. I gave it 4 stars an would have given it 5 if the art had been better. It was too inconsistent and cartoony in places. Plus he forgot to draw the black lines on Cheetah's face that extend from the edges of her eyes down her face.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Can you develop that ? I don't know what nonbinary and Elysian mean.
    To be brief - DC is supposedly replacing all the heroes with new, younger heroes. It's referred to as 5G (5th generation) and a sketch of a character named Elysium is rumored to be Diana's replacement. You can read more in this thread.

Non-binary refers to any of a number of genders that do not identify as strictly masculine or feminine.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Negatives first:

- Artwork is kind of meh. Cheetah especially looks weird in some pages where her spots are not drawn
    - The return of the invisible jet is nice, though at this point it seems kind of pointless since she can fly. The history of the jet in the mythos is always weird and unsatisfying.
    - I could not care less about Doom and the Dark Fates, but that is the hand Orlando was dealt (at least the former).
    - Ugh why is Maggie still here and why is doing better against Cheetah than the Amazons

Positives
    - Diana mopes for like one page before she rebounds. After a long run of her naval gazing with flowery internal monologues, it's great to see our girl get to work and just get crap done.
    - Cheetah's motivations and the ties to the Lies. That is an interesting direction to take after Diana freed Barbara Ann from Urzkartaga, and in a warped way she is returning the favor. However, it does seem odd that her taking the curse on again through Cale still causing her pain isn't addressed.
    - Nubia cameo and the Magic Spheres!
    - Nora Nunes seems nice so far.
    - Steel and Chinese Wonder Woman cameos were neat.

3/5

Have to mostly agree with SilverScarlet.

Art-wise it's decent, except that Cheetah doesn't really look good. Also, what's up with Maggie's sword and fighting stances? It's like McKeown only know good fighting stances and swords from Japan, and nowhere else.

Orlando's script is more references than anything else. Lots of dialogue, but none of it memorable.

I'm not really feeling Nora Nunes. Personality-wise she feels like forced modern by someone who doesn't get it (and the person not getting it here is Orlando), and so far she has mainly been used as a target for exposition.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I don't know what is going on

>> Cheetah is back, despite being defeated earlier. This is kind of crazy...how often do we get a major villain returning just after they were defeated? I'm so bored of this character.
    >> Wonder Woman had an invisible jet...that was destroyed?? Uh...where was it before because it didn't show up in her title.
    >> I don't know who these new characters are.
    >> Amazons once again demonstrate that they are Red Shirts
    >> This stupid event is still going on!!??

tl;dr: I was bored and confused reading this
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member

I voted 3 stars. I didn't feel this titled as engaging as Orlando's Annual, but I thought it was still much better than what I read of Wilson.

My major negative is that this was obviously a recap issue for new or returning readers (like myself). However, similar to Siege Perilous I thought it was an interesting take on Cheetah's motivations. I don't particularly understand why Diana needed to move to Boston, and I already dislike Nora Nunes.

I do like how Orlando has quietly rebooted Etta. She seems a lot more light hearted than under Rucka's pen or in Wilson's The Just War. Her look is also a tad softer. I believe they even showed her smiling which I haven't seen since Fontana's run.

I think this particular issue kinda sums up why I, personally, much prefer for Themyscira to be unreachable by Man's World. Because the Amazons are infinite in number (I mean based on the amount of nameless Amazons writers can create not specifically any text that confirms this) and because Amazons are coded as great warriors, it makes it easier for writers to show a character as formidable or dangerous by having a villain slaughter or capture a large number of them. Something similar happened on Xena where Amazons where constantly being slaughtered while we were told they were such great warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I don't know what is going on
    >> Cheetah is back, despite being defeated earlier. This is kind of crazy...how often do we get a major villain returning just after they were defeated? I'm so bored of this character.

This is the hand Orlando was dealt from the Villains event and GWW's ending.

>> Wonder Woman had an invisible jet...that was destroyed?? Uh...where was it before because it didn't show up in her title.

Yes, it was in her title during Rebirth when Rucka reintroduced it as Steve Trevors plane updated and repaired by Amazons.

>> I don't know who these new characters are.

New characters? I think the only new character was Nora. Steel (former Titan) and Wonder-Woman is part of the Justice League China from the New Super-Man title.

>> Amazons once again demonstrate that they are Red Shirts

Yeah, I'm with you on this one, especially with Maggie being shown as the superior fighter as she actually stood up to Cheetah the longest. She's a waitress who just got a magic sword last week.

>> This stupid event is still going on!!??

Yeah, this Year of the Villain thing is just dragging out way too long in all the books, imo.

Orlando does it again! He makes writing a fun and compelling WW story look so easy.