Incredible Member

Default Starblazer and grant morrison

An unexpected treat on the shelves today was a large format reprint of 2 complete stories from Starblazer, one of which was one of Grant Morrison's earliest works.

Picked it up but havent read it yet. Hopefully enough people buy it so we can see more volumes

https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/starblazer

Ditto. Hope it's well supported.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

I saw the thread title and was geared up for Morrison and these guys:

Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 11-16-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Incredible Member

Having read it now... each story is 64 pages but only 1 to 3 panels a page giving roughly 130 panels to tell a complete story using all new characters each month (tho wiki tells me a few characters ended up appearing more than once). British comics seems to be the most punishing test of all comics - you either get 5 pages a week at 2000ad or under 150 panels to tell a complete story at starblazer.. oh and make it all original material.

This is probably only 20 to 30 panels more than a 20 page Dc / Marvel comic from the era so a lot needs to happen in the story very quickly in a Starblazer story. Morrisons story has some good ideas but pages are wasted with some unecessary meteor storm subplot and everything has to get resolved extremely fast at the end. Broadbent's story doesnt fall foul.of the pacing issues Morrisons does but doesnt quite make sense either! Stars of the show are the artists; Argentine madman Enrique Alcatena whose endless parade of crazy aliens is very funny and very imaginative and Mick McMahon.

Not earthshattering but some great art and ideal for a rainy sunday chill out.

Yeah, UK comics are very different from US ones. There are two formats we have that American publishers usually don't do. One is anthologies, such as the Beano and 2000AD (2000AD is weekly, but the length of the stories means you still get the same content for each story each month as you do in US comics. Beano, on the other hand, ranges from three panel strips through to four page stories - most are one or two pages, and all are one and done, it being a humour title. There used to be plenty of other comics similar to both, but most are gone now). The other is pocket libraries, like Starblazer and Commando (Commando still exists, but Starblazer and most of the others ended some time ago).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I saw the thread title and was geared up for Morrison and these guys:

The only Starblazer I know and I need.

Incredible Member

I dont think we ever got starblazers the cartoon in the UK but seems a cult following for it.

But then i dont think the usa got Ulysses 31 so swings and roundabouts there.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, UK comics are very different from US ones. There are two formats we have that American publishers usually don't do. One is anthologies, such as the Beano and 2000AD (2000AD is weekly, but the length of the stories means you still get the same content for each story each month as you do in US comics. Beano, on the other hand, ranges from three panel strips through to four page stories - most are one or two pages, and all are one and done, it being a humour title. There used to be plenty of other comics similar to both, but most are gone now). The other is pocket libraries, like Starblazer and Commando (Commando still exists, but Starblazer and most of the others ended some time ago).
    Ive been loving the 2000ad ultimate collection reprints - when you see all those 5 pages joined together - it really helps appreciate the overall story more than arcs scattered throughout the years. Quality reprints at decents prices too - finally a proper organised retrospective

Saw both Starblazer and a Commando book in a similar format in WHSmith today.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Remarkably the 13th floor reappeared for an issue for halloween too. Between rebellion, panini, and DC Thomson the british British newstand is looking pretty impressive these days. Good work all round!