Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I think we all imagine voices for the different characters as we read them. This is where we'll discuss that.

To start us off, I read Spider-Man usually in the voice of either Christopher Daniel Barnes (Spider-Man: The Animated Series) or Josh Keaton (Spectacular Spider-Man). Lately, I've also read him in the voice of Yuri Lowenthal, thanks to Spider-Man PS4.

I'll post more examples later. What about you guys?
    In general, when I read comics, or when I read books in general, no adaptation entirely or completely colors my reading of the characters that I hear only their voices. Because different writers have different voices and different writing styles and that makes it hard for there to be a single voice.

Like as someone who loved the Batman Animated Series, Kevin Conroy is my Batman voice. And when I read comics I usually think it's his voice. But at the same time, when I read Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, or Year One, the character in that story doesn't sound like Kevin Conroy. He sounds like a Frank Miller character. By that I mean like a character out of the SIN CITY or 300 movie. Those movies capture Frank Miller's writing and how that sounds like for good and bad. Frank Miller whether he writes Batman or others transforms characters rather than let them speak in their own voice. Other writers do that too.

There are exceptions like I tend to read Norman Osborn entirely in Dafoe's voice, and Jameson entirely in Simmons' voice. Deadpool in Ryan Reynolds' voice. But even then Brian Michael Bendis' Jameson whether in USM or Alias or The Pulse sounds different than Stan Lee's Jameson or Zdarsky's Jameson.

In the case of Spider-Man. Tobey Maguire's Peter doesn't sound to me like Lee-Ditko's Peter or Lee-Romita's Peter. He sounds like Tobey Maguire Peter. Same applies to Garfield and Holland. On the other Chris Pine's and Jake Johnson's Peter in ITSV does sound like the comics' character but on the other JMS' Peter sounds different from JMD's Peter or Roger Stern's Peter.

I tend to read Magneto in the voice of Tom Kane. Like, in House of X when Mags delivered the "You have new gods now" speech I completely imagined Tom Kane's deliver the whole way through.

Jerry Lewis from his Nutty Professor movie
    GrindrStone(D)