Default Asking for some help with recommendations about comic book artists of 1989-1994

I enjoy Marvel comics (from the various Spider series, some comedy such as Squirrel Girl that just ended, and a few others) but I began reading in late 2014. For a school assignment I have to make a 16 page comic about two basketball players in the style of comicbook artists that came about from 1989-1994 and to all be made within a short time period.
    Not having great drawing skill but still wanting to try my best I'm wondering what past artist's works, references, and styles are recommended and maybe even issues of notable art I might be able to get.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

You could try the The Grand Comics Database if you want to search by Spider-Man or the Avengers for example. You could look up the covers from that date range and they have all the artists credits there.

Image comics was founded in 1992. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Comics
    Check out the artwork of the founders. Larsen, McFarlane, Lee, the others. Might give you some good suggestions.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Invincible Member

It seems like the assignment is to draw in that early 90's "extreme" style, also thoguht of as the "Image Comics" style ( eventhough Image is a very different company now). Definitely look at anything by Rob Leifeld. Not being a great artist might actually help you this regard. Rob's art while popular is full of mistakes. It's interesting that many comic artists who were much better were encouraged to imitate his style.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It seems like the assignment is to draw in that early 90's "extreme" style, also thoguht of as the "Image Comics" style ( eventhough Image is a very different company now). Definitely look at anything by Rob Leifeld. Not being a great artist might actually help you this regard. Rob's art while popular is full of mistakes. It's interesting that many comic artists who were much better were encouraged to imitate his style.
    Bill Sienkiewicz would also definitely be an interesting choice: