Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Twisted Sister: NEBULA Appreciation 2019

With the second Avengers: Endgame trailer revealing Nebula joining the Avengers in the MCU, I thought it the perfect time to bring out the Nebula Appreciation Thread for 2019!

Are you a Nebula fan?

What are your favorite Nebula stories?

What was your first exposure to Nebula?

Share all of them here!

I'll start off by saying the artwork pictured above was my first exposure to the character. It was on a Marvel trading card, and I thought... my god, she looks like such a badass. I've loved her ever since, and I'm so happy they stuck with the design for the MCU, where she seems far more prominent than in the comics.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Nebula has such weird continuity that I wouldn't be surprised if my first exposure to the character was the version of Nebula that turned out to be Ravonna. That being said, my first memorable experience with the character was in the stories came shortly before Infinity Gauntlet and, of course, her memorable role in that story.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Is she being turned into a hero?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I sure hope not. Nebula is many things, but hero is not one of them.

Astonishing Member

I love Nebula. She has always been one of my favourite Marvel female villains--and one of my favourite Avengers villains overall.

My first exposure to her was during John Byrne's run on AVENGERS, where she turned up pursuing some cosmic super-weapon. And even before she got her cosmic upgrade and was taking on the entire roster, Nebula was still proving herself a force to be reckoned with, taking on Thor, Spider-Man and Captain America single-handedly--and not losing!

She is one incredibly tough fighter, as well as extremely clever, and has quite the ruthless streak. I do miss a bit of the extra power she had as the captain of her own crew of warriors, before Thanos returned and deposed her. Nebula is still cool and deadly as a solo operator--but we don't see enough female villain leaders.

Astonishing Member

With the increased prominence of her character thanks to her role in the MCU, I wonder if we will ever get a definitive origin and backstory for her. There have been so many versions over the years. She was introduced as Thanos' great-granddaughter...but then he returned to life and dismissed the claim, saying it was offensive to suggest that Thanos would sire progeny. But THAT dismissal is now questionable since it has been revealed that Thanos DID have kids (such as Thane)...so the notion of her being his offspring is back on the table. Perhaps not even with his own knowledge or consent (like Elysius' using Mar-Vell's DNA samples to impregnate herself after his death.

There is also the possibility that she could be his "grand daughter" in a non-biological sense, just as Gamora is considered Thanos' daughter because he raised/trained her.

We've also been told two different versions of who her father is. In one telepathic flashback to her childhood we see her murdering her abusive father, which supposedly was part of what made her the dangerous killer she is today. But in an issue of NOVA she turned up seeking vengeance against Rich Rider for the "murder" of her father Zorr. I suppose one of them could be her biological father and the other a step-father? Or the telepathic flashback could be a fake memory (perhaps something she created herself to get sympathy from her jailers?).

Bottom line--there is a lot of room to fill in the blanks for Nebula's backstory, because everything that we think we know about her from before AVENGERS #255 is questionable at best.

BANNED

Default Karen Gillan Says Nebula Will Be Someone "We're All Rooting for"

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Hasn’t she been ever since she reconciled with Gamora and became an ally?

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Can anyone recommend recent series that she has been featured in?
    Baby Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Can anyone recommend recent series that she has been featured in?
    She was in the opening arc of Asgardians of the Galaxy and is a major player in the current Guardians of the Galaxy volume.

Extraordinary Member

Why am I crying? Why is it so cute that she and Rocket are holding hands?

Anyone see Endgame yet?

spoilers:
    Once again Nebula had one of standout roles!
    end of spoilers

Give us a Nebula series, Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if they do that now. Karen Gillan's portrayal of her has proven very popular. The Sun newspaper ran a headline yesterday: "Doctor Who's sidekick" (referring to her role as Amy Pond in 2010-2012) "steals the Avengers show".
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if they do that now. Karen Gillan's portrayal of her has proven very popular. The Sun newspaper ran a headline yesterday: "Doctor Who's sidekick" (referring to her role as Amy Pond in 2010-2012) "steals the Avengers show".
    Oh my god, she is Amy Pond?!?!?

Wow I didn't realise that, I am in shock right now.