Mighty Member

Default Walt Simonson and Thor

I know that he had an acclaimed role on Thor but I was surprised to learn that it was only 4 years from 1983-87. Much shorter than Peter David on Incredible Hulk. I'm curious, why? Did he leave the book voluntarily? Did the EIC push him off? I'm surprised that he didn't stay on longer considering. My other question is, how did the Thor mythos change from after he was on the book compared to Lee/Kirby and other writers before him?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I know that he had an acclaimed role on Thor but I was surprised to learn that it was only 4 years from 1983-87. Much shorter than Peter David on Incredible Hulk. I'm curious, why? Did he leave the book voluntarily? Did the EIC push him off? I'm surprised that he didn't stay on longer considering. My other question is, how did the Thor mythos change from after he was on the book compared to Lee/Kirby and other writers before him?
    I have no idea why Walt left Thor. I doubt there was any ill-will between him and Marvel as both he and his wife Louise kept working for Marvel afterwards. Marvel went so far as to time Walt's FF start at issue 337 as well as having his work on other issue 337 covers.

As to how the mythos changed, Walt introduced the first other worthy one to wield Mjolnir. He relied far more on Norse mythology than did Lee and Kirby and the characters became more the multifaceted heroes and villains they started out as. Walt's depiction of the death of the Executioner is one of the finest scenes in any Marvel comic. Walt also eliminated Don Blake as a "secret identity" for Thor.

BANNED

I know that he had an acclaimed role on Thor but I was surprised to learn that it was only 4 years from 1983-87.
    That was pretty respectable length for its time. PAD was different from the norm.

I mean Frank Miller's epic run on Daredevil as a writer lasted from 1981-1983. If you want to include his time as a penciller with Roger Mackenzie you can stretch it back to 1978, but mostly peak Miller Daredevil was 3 years. He then came back later and did fill-in issues in 85 before Born Again in '86.

Did he leave the book voluntarily?
    From everything I heard yes. His run on Thor ends on Simonson's terms. After Thor, Simonson did stuff like Fantastic Four and Orion for DC.

My other question is, how did the Thor mythos change from after he was on the book compared to Lee/Kirby and other writers before him?
    Simonson introduced Malekith the Accursed, the Casket of Ancient Winters, and expanded the Nine Realms. He also made Surtur the Flaming Giant a major bad guy. Another character who took of in his run is Balder the Brave. And above all, Beta Ray Bill.

He took Thor out of Lee-Kirby's shadow and tied it to Norse Myths more than Lee-Kirby did while also expanding Thor to other myths and ideas.

Simonson's run was influential. His buildup of Surtur, with issues ending with Surtur forging a sword teasing his buildup was copied for Doomsday's buildup in the '90s.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

My other question is, how did the Thor mythos change from after he was on the book compared to Lee/Kirby and other writers before him?
    Simonson introduced the M-16 rifle to the Asgardian armed forces, thus setting the entire mythos of sword and board wielding "gods" on its ear.

I would like to see Mr. Simonson return for a mini series or a prestige format one shot

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I would like to see Mr. Simonson return for a mini series or a prestige format one shot
    Either that, or just one arc in a future installment of Thor's own ongoing series (especially if it involves Destroyer Thor ):

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-01-2021 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Walt Simonson is doing Ragnarok for IDW. That series is heavier in Norse mythology than his Thor series was but still excellent Simonson stuff worth reading.

He is returning to write Thor and Bill as part of the THOR: THE WORTHY One-Shot next month