The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Superman replacement for the first time in history

You probably have heard that Clark kent might be replaced in the 5G as the main protagonist of superman and action comics. So, does this indicate Clark has hit a wall in terms of appeal, popularity and selling capacity. Like the goldenage guys and some of the silverage guys that were replaced. I know bruce wayne is also being replaced. But, bruce's change might be just a gimmick. Do you believe Clark's change will be like that? Or will it be like jay garrick, alan Scott or Barry allen?if you think appeal is a problem then what do you think is the remedy?

No. There's zero chance of that happening the conditions in the comics market and general public just aren't the same.

For one, back when that happened the readership turned over more or less every 4-5 years. So the new readers didn't know who Jay Garrick or Alan Scott were, the re-purposing of their names for the new comics was simpler then. Second, they'd been out of use for a decade or so, if not more.

Presently, the comics market no longer turns over, people leave and come back, but the amount of turnover is minuscule and the replacement of old readers with new just isn't happening at a level where people would accept a long term replacement.

Another aspect is that culturally, the direct market comics don't matter. It's 40 to 100K readers at most (less probably). The TV shows, movies etc. all have far greater reach and cultural impact. Comics don't really matter which is why they can do this here and see if it drums up some interest.

It’s not the first time he’s been replaced dude. Reign of the Supermen remember? And I question how anyone is seriously thinking 5G is going to stick around forever at this point. Reaction has been tepid and I doubt sales will be even better. There have been plenty of discussion about what Superman needs, you were even in the threads. Did this really need to be it’s own thread?

Nah, it just indicates that DC is stupid for letting Bendis initiate All New All Different DC.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s not the first time he’s been replaced dude. Reign of the Supermen remember? And I question how anyone is seriously thinking 5G is going to stick around forever at this point. Reaction has been tepid and I doubt sales will be even better. There have been plenty of discussion about what Superman needs, you were even in the threads. Did this really need to be it’s own thread?
    Reign of superman didn't have the superman. As for sticking part, I don't know what their motive is. I mean, this has been in works for years. Jon had dream of himself as superman in tomasi's run. Bendis says they were going for this whole time. Bendis just decided to make it a journey . This thread is more focused on whether clark has hit a wall or if the higher ups think that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Nah, it just indicates that DC is stupid for letting Bendis initiate All New All Different DC.
    But, all new all different was soooo much fun /s

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Reign of superman didn't have the superman. As for sticking part, I don't know what their motive is. I mean, this has been in works for years. Jon had dream of himself as superman in tomasi's run. Bendis says they were going for this whole time. Bendis just decided to make it a journey . This thread is more focused on whether clark has hit a wall or if the higher ups think that.
    Didio is obsessed with reboots. This is him trying to do “New 52 done right”, and just like how Countdown was “52 done right” I seriously doubt this will be good.

Retired

Superman was replaced in his flagship titles during the long national nightmare that was New Krypton.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Superman was replaced in his flagship titles during the long national nightmare that was New Krypton.
    I didn't think New Krypton was that bad - just could have used more Superman focus... and one hell of a better ending. lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I didn't think New Krypton was that bad - just could have used more Superman focus... and one hell of a better ending. lol
    Superman on New Krypton was good until the end. But aged up Lor-Zod and Mon-El in Metropolis? Those were really boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah, that's how we got Steel and Superboy (Conner), isn't it?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Even so, that all happened in another title. Clark was taken out of his two home titles ACTION COMICS and SUPERMAN--and for a very long time. I don't know what they were trying to prove by doing this. Maybe someone at DC had the theory that Clark is an unimportant character and you can slot anyone into SUPERMAN and ACTION and get the same sales. It was like they wanted to undervalue his importance as Superman.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I just assume they were out of ideas. Same thing I assume every time they do something like this. Give it a year. Sales will fall and they'll come to their senses and will probably fire Bendis. This was my complaint about Johns. They're letting one person make all the decisions at the expense of everything else. Regardless of whether or not they're good decisions. This new Legion has temporary gimmick written all over it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Same logic,nobody took over as defacto superman as a 'meant to be' permanent superman. But, i get what you are saying. But, i feel this different in nuance. It is similar to jon being Clark's first 'real' sidekick.