39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Summers deserves better

12 30.77%
  • Scott Summers used to be right

10 25.64%
  • It's fine as long as he's f###ing Wolvie

17 43.59%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Cyclops has the X-gene in the 616 universe, therefore he's part of a minority group (mutants) just like Storm, Sunspot, etc. Are we really gatekeeping who can be a ''real'' representative of mutant kind or not?

As a black man, this issue is exactly like the light skin vs dark skin debate in the african american community. Discrimination among ourselves. It's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I think that everyone got so well used to Jean getting the worse, that a book became a push.

I don't think it is racism. I don't think anyone likes him because he is white.

But racial bias. I don't think writers and editors even realize that, not even the readers.

Scott is white and is perfectly normal. The problem is when writers and editors put all the x-men story focused on him.
    It's also a behind the scenes problem. Majority of editors and writers are white
    He's continuously shooting red optic blast from his eyes when he doesn't have glasses on or when his eyes aren't shut. One might argue that someone like Storm is more ''normal'' than Cyclops, because her power is less of a problem in her everyday life. The minority factor here is the x-gene, nothing else.
    Last edited by Magneto; 11-15-2019 at 05:07 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Cyclops has the X-gene in the 616 universe, therefore he's part of a minority group (mutants) just like Storm, Sunspot, etc. Are we really gatekeeping who can be a ''real'' representative of mutant kind or not?
    That is what it looks like

As a black man, this issue is exactly like the light skin vs dark skin in the african american community. Discrimination among ourselves.
    It is funny, so far the Cyclops fans that have spoken on this thread aren't white. Maybe his race really doesn't matter to the reader.

As a black man, this issue is exactly like the light skin vs dark skin in the african american community. Discrimination among ourselves.
    Oppression happens at all times in all places because humans just truly enjoy finding someone weaker than them to kick around to make themselves feel better. MLK Jr was vehemently homophobic. African-American preachers talk about how gays are evil, while gays claim trans people aren't welcome. At some point, I'm sure Trans folk will find an even smaller minority to kick around.

Cyke is awesome! Despair! The Jeeper 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JanBlackfyre View Post

It is funny, so far the Cyclops fans that have spoken on this thread aren't white. Maybe his race really doesn't matter to the reader.
    It doesn't! I like him just the way he is.
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

BANNED

Well, then that is Betsy (Excalibur), Wolverine/Jean (X-force) and Emma/Kitty's (marauders) fault too and not only Cyclops which is the guy this thread is about.
    Thread was about how the current statu quo doesnt seem to leave room for showing his strengths as a character. Im not sure how it turned into white men are victims too: the thread but honestly it's my bad for not anticipating it would.

Everyone is black when discussing race on the internet.

Cyke is awesome! Despair! The Jeeper 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Thread was about how the current statu quo doesnt seem to leave room for showing his strengths as a character. Im not sure how it turned into white men are victims too: the thread but honestly it's my bad for not anticipating it would.

You can follow me on twitter for receipts of my blackness.
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

As a black man, this issue is exactly like the light skin vs dark skin debate in the african american community. Discrimination among ourselves. It's stupid.

He's continuously shooting red optic blast from his eyes when he doesn't have glasses on or when his eyes aren't shut. One might argue that someone like Storm is more ''normal'' than Cyclops, because her power is less of a problem in her everyday life. The minority factor here is the x-gene, nothing else.
    Oh really?

Black women are biggest victims of inequality and violence. Cyclops with glasses is just a normal guy and take advantage of status quo

BANNED

Im not sure how it turned into white men are victims too

It didn't people just started complaining that he was white and I asked if that was wrong.

I'm not black or white.

It didn't people just started complaining that he was white and I asked if that was wrong.
    People just said that they want more diversity and that Cyclops take too much spotlight

Oh really?

Black women are biggest victims of inequality and violence. Cyclops with glasses is just a normal guy and take advantage of status quo
    We're talking about the x-gene and mutant kind representation. Don't mix it up.
    Last edited by Magneto; 11-15-2019 at 06:01 PM.

We're talking about the x-gene and mutant kind representation. Don't mix it up.
    It was you that mix it up first.

It was you that mix it up first.
    I was talking about Storm's mutation/power, not her ethnicity. Cyclops represent mutant kind, nothing else.
    Last edited by Magneto; 11-15-2019 at 07:35 PM.

It becomes an issue when the "right" character to tell a good story is always white. Storm would have made an interesting protagonist for XMen #2 with her status as Krakoa High Priestess contrasting the role played by the summoner. She has ties to magic, she could have been central to Excalibur. She was leader of the government sanctionned XSE, she could lead XForce or play Emma's role as the middle man between human and mutant. It always seem to come down to preference, but when it's become a pattern that preferences always favor characters of one ethnicity at the expense of everyone else, its a bit suspicious.

None of that has anything to do with this thread though.
    But Storm is going to be a big player in upcoming issues in Marauders and he will be back in X-Men as well, and may appear in some of the other books as she already did in the New Mutants where she was helping Rahne acclimate herself to her resurrection after the way she died in Uncanny!

A lot of characters are going to get spotlight over the next few months. Bishop is on a pretty serious mission in Marauders investigating people who are creating false propaganda about mutants. Gerry has already hinted that Marauders #3 isn't going to be as fun as #1 and #2 and I think Bishop's story might come to a head there and get pretty serious. Sunspot is going to be a key player in what happens in Shi'ar space along side Dani and Karma.

If anything I feel like all the books are trying to include characters from different racial backgrounds so that the Mutants as a whole reflect the fact that they are a mixture of many minorities.

Scott and Storm have already been portrayed as kind of co-leading on the Orchis mission. Storm is on the Council, and Scott is a military commander.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”