39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Summers deserves better

12 30.77%
  • Scott Summers used to be right

10 25.64%
  • It's fine as long as he's f###ing Wolvie

17 43.59%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Was bringing Scott back a mistake? No. Killing him in the first place I would say was a mistake. Making him turn into Dark Phoenix was a dumb idea. Having him kill Xavier was bad in my opinion. The mutant hitler bit was beyond the pale, but I think rightclops fans must move on form it. Scott had a complete arc and he became a complex character which is good, but there is a down side when characters kind of take over the entire (or most of) story.

I've always loved Cyclops but at times he could be a bit dull. Scott became a great character under Morrison. I loved what Morrison did with Scott. I was excited to purchase every issue of New X-men because I was so eager to see the story for both Cyclops and Jean Grey. In regards to Scott, Whedon took the ball and ran with it and further developed him. Then all the other writers continued the saga of Cyclops, leader of the mutant people: Brubaker, Fraction, Bendis etc.

Scott was the star of the X-men. It had became his story and I feel this is where it all went off the rails. The X-men has to be more than a story of a white straight dude. I like that Scott is captain commander but I think the books should be careful not to make it all about him. Scott is Xavier's general, but other characters like Storm, Jean Grey, Wolverine are also vital. I think when one character gets a huge push you see pushback from fans (see Kitty Pryde in X-men Gold, etc).

I do love the first two issues of Hickman's X-men but we've had years of the Scott show up until his death. We had what a two year break and now he's back to being Mr. X-man....the best field leader (which I always find disrespectful towards Storm who to me should always co-lead with Scott). I do like that Hickman appreciates Scott Summers. I like that they are putting his darker days behind him. I am glad so many fans can identify with him. I just hope those same fans can identify with other characters who may not be like them in the same way Scott is.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Was bringing Scott back a mistake? No. Killing him in the first place I would say was a mistake. Making him turn into Dark Phoenix was a dumb idea. Having him kill Xavier was bad in my opinion. The mutant hitler bit was beyond the pale, but I think rightclops fans must move on form it. Scott had a complete arc and he became a complex character which is good, but there is a down side when characters kind of take over the entire (or most of) story.

I've always loved Cyclops but at times he could be a bit dull. Scott became a great character under Morrison. I loved what Morrison did with Scott. I was excited to purchase every issue of New X-men because I was so eager to see the story for both Cyclops and Jean Grey. In regards to Scott, Whedon took the ball and ran with it and further developed him. Then all the other writers continued the saga of Cyclops, leader of the mutant people: Brubaker, Fraction, Bendis etc.

Scott was the star of the X-men. It had became his story and I feel this is where it all went off the rails. The X-men has to be more than a story of a white straight dude. I like that Scott is captain commander but I think the books should be careful not to make it all about him. Scott is Xavier's general, but other characters like Storm, Jean Grey, Wolverine are also vital. I think when one character gets a huge push you see pushback from fans (see Kitty Pryde in X-men Gold, etc).

I do love the first two issues of Hickman's X-men but we've had years of the Scott show up until his death. We had what a two year break and now he's back to being Mr. X-man....the best field leader (which I always find disrespectful towards Storm who to me should always co-lead with Scott). I do like that Hickman appreciates Scott Summers. I like that they are putting his darker days behind him. I am glad so many fans can identify with him. I just hope those same fans can identify with other characters who may not be like them in the same way Scott is.
    Depressed and Cheater Cyclops was a good writing for Scott? Well surprisedpikachu.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post

Nah. I'm good.
    X-men is cyclops story

I'm glad they brought Scott back. He's one of my favorite characters and so far I like how Hickman is writing him. Those poll options leave a bit to be desired as previously stated lol.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    What direction do you think his character should take? Im genuinely curious.

The Lord is testing me.

Like I said, I had no problems with those scenes in a book Cyclops wasnt the main character in.

What development do you think he got in XMen #2?
    Cyclops’ role as team leader has always been to get everyone on the same page and work together. That means dealing with their bull**** like Logan regularly going off to “find himself” and what not. Cyclops has to mediate all these extreme personalities, many of whom have an inbred distrust towards ANY authority figure on account of their lives as mutants, and get them to trust him and work with him. I think there’s a ton of potential with the Hickman status quo where now Cyke has to deal with mutants that are flat out ******* evil like Sinster or amoral like Apocalypse. I mean we know Mystique is going on a rampage real soon, how does Cyke deal with that and preserve the peace/unity? How will he feel about Xavier and Magneto keeping secrets? He’s not the one making the rules now, he has to enforce them, so how will he feel if The Quiet Council makes a ruling he disagrees with? Hickman has done a good job so far reconciling Revolutionary Cyclops and Xavier’s Heir Cyclops I feel. But there’s tension between those two characterizations that could be exploited for storytelling in upcoming storylines.

And yeah there’s also his family and romantic drama, which I won’t get into here, but I was a real fan of the Scott/Emma relationship, much more so than the traditional Scott/Jean one, and how Hickman intends to deal with Scott’s relationships interests me greatly. It’s nice to see him hanging out with his time traveling dystopian future kids and his space pirate deadbeat dad, and his crazy brothers. I’m not that familiar with X-Men lore so digging into these characters will be fun for me, seeing what’s their relationship like now?
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Depressed and Cheater Cyclops was a good writing for Scott? Well surprisedpikachu.jpg
    Honestly? I loved it. Cyclops is like Cap and Supes in that he’s a paragon of his respective community. But unlike those two his is a community of outcasts, who are outright hated. So unlike those two, Cyclops doesn’t get ANY respect from anyone and most of the people he saves are fine with going right back to plotting to kill him. Seeing that wear him down and cause all sorts of emotional and mental problems with him? That was pretty damn relatable even if he didn’t acted very morally upright. But that was just the start, he climbed out of that pit, rebuilt his relationship with Logan, built a new one with Emma, and led the X-Men through what was basically their lowest point. It was honestly really awesome and exciting to read.

BANNED

Wolverine shall complain if he takes over his role.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Yes he was. And Yes it was. But it's reductive. New X-Men Cyclops wasn't only that. He was still a great teacher. Not in the classic meaning. During Riot at Xavier, he really taught a lesson to those dumbed newbies.

Also, I love the fact that he brought in the house, the woolf who ended up killing his wife. Especially as Scott had so much hope in Xorn. Scott really saw him like a power of light. How could he know that that "light" would murder his wife ? I am a Jean fan, but this irony was tragic. Like Jean, being the one "sensing" and saving Emma in Genosha. She brought the woman who would seduce and fell in love with her husband. I wouldn't say that it was Shakesperian, but yes, it was tragedy. And this tragedy opened the doors to a great journey in Cyclops life with an outstanding character evolution.

BANNED

There were pitfalls in writing. Vilifying Scott Summers and painting him as the mutant Adolf Hitler was a poor narrative choice, and there was never any evidence to support that claim being even remotely justified. Personally, I found Cyclops to be far more enjoyable as a character post M-Day, as I found he had many more layers to his characterization. The radicalization of the mutant movement brought forth a great many interesting narrative opportunities, even if some writers mishandled them. Death of X/IvX was messy as hell, and a poor way to sendoff one of the most recognizable X-Men. As a result of that story, Cyclops should absolutely have come back, as I wouldn't ever want a beloved character to be killed off permanently in a sub-par story that in turn had a sub-par payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I don't think it was a mistake bringing him back, it was going to happen eventually anyway. I do think that they should have just waited for HoX rather than bringing him back for Rosencanny.
    Imagine if instead of returning Scott, Jean and Logan (in the Extermination, Phoenix Resurrection & Return of Wolverine miniseries respectively) had never happened and instead their resurrections had been saved for House of X. The impact it would have returning those three all at once...

IvX was a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    There were pitfalls in writing. Vilifying Scott Summers and painting him as the mutant Adolf Hitler was a poor narrative choice, and there was never any evidence to support that claim being even remotely justified. Personally, I found Cyclops to be far more enjoyable as a character post M-Day, as I found he had many more layers to his characterization. The radicalization of the mutant movement brought forth a great many interesting narrative opportunities, even if some writers mishandled them. Death of X/IvX was messy as hell, and a poor way to sendoff one of the most recognizable X-Men. As a result of that story, Cyclops should absolutely have come back, as I wouldn't ever want a beloved character to be killed off permanently in a sub-par story that in turn had a sub-par payoff.

Imagine if instead of returning Scott, Jean and Logan (in the Extermination, Phoenix Resurrection & Return of Wolverine miniseries respectively) had never happened and instead their resurrections had been saved for House of X. The impact it would have returning those three all at once...
    It's sort of like if you read about the real Black Panthers and read what they were about during that time. They were never as bad as the media and white majority painted them as, they were fighting really hard to get people to understand that persecution of black people was at an all time high, and the police were complicit in it. So the leaders of the movement decided hey if the 2nd amendment applies to all the racists trying to persecute us, then it applies to us as well, so they armed themselves and it scared all those white racists because deep down inside racist people are cowards and they are afraid that they won't be the majority so the idea of black people exercising their american freedoms to bear arms scared all those white racist people so they vilified the Black Panthers.

Scott Summers drew a line in the sand and said this far and no further to the racists persecuting mutants and then he fought back and he fought back hard. Scott was never Hitler, he is a guerrilla freedom fighter who was fighting to preserve his people against the racists forces that were trying to ethnically cleanse his people from the Earth!

People always get scared when a minority group decides to actually defend themselves for real.

These are the true heroes of the Battle of the Little Bighorn!!
    Sitting Bull
    Crazy Horse
    Chief Gall
    Lame White Man
    Two Moon

They fought to stop the genocide against Native Americans and to try and drive the racist American forces back to the East, they lost, but they were freedom fighters hoping to save their people from the oppressiveness of the Americans!!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Interesting points and questions OP...

I agree the way Rosenburg wrote him when he returned was disappointing to me as well, I hate they made Scott "renounce" his old ways. #CyclopsDidNothingWrong

Overall he does feel regressed a bit but we'll have to find out just "how much". He is still "Captain Commander" for whatever that's worth, and he is still portrayed as being hypercompetent and details-attentive. So that's good.

We'll have to see how "Pro Mutant" he is at the end of the day, and that might be the deal breaker for me and if I lose almost all affinity I had grown for the character.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    X-men is cyclops story
    Sentiments like this are so disappointing to me, no matter how many times I hear it. I won't comment on Cyke as a character but ANY franchise that has a monopoly on the POV especially in a team setting is on a course for eventual failure imo. What's worse is the X-men have an entire cast of unique and dynamic individuals its just their investment to the narrative by most writers are often lacking.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Just because one person feels that way or interprets their reading/entertainment experience that way...does not make it so. And really has no baring on how anyone should feel. It's just one personal opinion.
    I think Cyclpos' story is just one part of the X-Men story...an integral part yes but...just one part (of many integral parts) nonetheless.

To answer the OP question: Of course not.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Sentiments like this are so disappointing to me, no matter how many times I hear it. I won't comment on Cyke as a character but ANY franchise that has a monopoly on the POV especially in a team setting is on a course for eventual failure imo. What's worse is the X-men have an entire cast of unique and dynamic individuals its just their investment to the narrative by most writers are often lacking.
    I understand your opinion. And respect it. But I disagree.
    Scott is the first x-man he is Arthur and mutant kind is Camelot

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    I understand your opinion. And respect it. But I disagree.
    Scott is the first x-man he is Arthur and mutant kind is Camelot
    That would be Xavier