• Scott Summers deserves better

12 30.77%
  • Scott Summers used to be right

10 25.64%
  • It's fine as long as he's f###ing Wolvie

17 43.59%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Was bringing Cyclops back a mistake?

Scott Summers had the most interesting character arc of any XMen in the 21st century. It was a thinly veiled ripoff of Storm 80's journey but it was fun to watch. The ending was anticlimatic due to Marvel's aversion of anything XMen at the time, but he died a martyr for the cause. It was a great symbol.

Now he's been brought back but he's also been regressed to Xavier's top soldier, essentially his 90s characterization. He's lost his edge and the story dont provide any opportunity for him to show what made him a great protagonist in the 2010's. He's not even mutantkind #2 since that role went to Magneto. So was it worth it? Now that Jean's back, wouldnt he have been better off as the one XMan who died for the cause and stayed dead, at least for a few years more?

*I know the way HoX works he would be brought back anyway but thats neither here nor there. The question is SHOULD he have been brought back considering the current statu quo.
    Last edited by tuck frump; 11-14-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

The only mistake done was Scott's Death in the first place. IvX was poorly done.

As for Cyclops, he's still an awesome character. But I see what you mean. Post M-Day really skyrocketed him. Cyclops went from my favorite X-Man to my all-time favorite hero. All you need is a good writer and story to do it to keep that train rolling.

With Hickman's X-Run so far, its a little odd but its not bad. Its a different direction they're going in and I'm curious to see where the journey goes.

BANNED

Regarding Scott's role in the X-men JDW said and I quote.

I would say that he believes fully in what they are doing, and that they, in turn, know they can count on him to get their goals achieved more than they could any other person in the world.
    I think he is the rock that their island nation is built upon. And I think that he is still very much a leader of his people, I think the people of Krakoa know him and what he has done for them over the years, and they look up to him. He is the head of the X-Men in any Super-Hero activity which is essentially the military of Krakoa. He might not be RULING Krakoa, but he is definitely leading it.

The mistake was not bringing him back as Triclops, Portal of the God Gaze.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Interviews are marketing devices to inform how you should read the story. Id rather base my decision on whats in the actual book. I scoffed when fans complained about Cyclops apparent demotion in HoX. After XMen #2 Im starting to see their point, its not that his current position is absolutely unviable, its that it works for a character in an ensemble cast, not a protagonist. Bringing him back to his old statu quo while still treating him as the MC makes for boring stories, for obvious reasons.

Scott was never more interesting than during Morrison's run and post AvX. Killing him was a mistake to begin with, especially in a story as trash as Death of X or IvX or whatever it was called.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Interviews are marketing devices to inform how you should read the story. Id rather base my decision on whats in the actual book. I scoffed when fans complained about Cyclops apparent demotion in HoX. After XMen #2 Im starting to see their point, its not that his current position is absolutely unviable, its that it works for a character in an ensemble cast, not a protagonist. Bringing him back to his old statu quo while still treating him as the MC makes for boring stories, for obvious reasons.
    Scott isn't X-men. He's a member of the X-men and their leader. The time you're talking about was when he was alone. He had a small team of X-men post Schism & post AvX. X-men as a whole is much bigger now. I don't see as a character regression. It's how he perfectly fits within the story.

Killing him was a mistake in the first place. I never made it past the 5 first pages of the Inhumans vs X-men crap.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I don't think it was a mistake bringing him back, it was going to happen eventually anyway. I do think that they should have just waited for HoX rather than bringing him back for Rosencanny. It would have made that scene where he shows up to talk to the FF so much more cool and powerful if that was the first we saw of him since dying.

As for his character regressing, I also don't think that's the case. If anything it's that the rest of the mutants and X-Men have come around on his way of thinking, so there is no reason for him to shoulder all the responsibilities anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I don't think it was a mistake bringing him back, it was going to happen eventually anyway. I do think that they should have just waited for HoX rather than bringing him back for Rosencanny. It would have made that scene where he shows up to talk to the FF so much more cool and powerful if that was the first we saw of him since dying.
    Nah we needed him saying he was wrong first.

You could do some very interesting things with Cyclops in the current status quo so nah I’m glad he’s back. His death sucked so nothing was lost by undoing it.

I am very glad Scott is back. I even really liked him in the bit Rosenberg wrote before DOX. A lot, really. Is that an unpopular sentiment?

Death isn't a bad mistake anymore, anyway.
    Which could be bad when Death finds out.

But I agree with most others that the way Scott died was horribly written and awful and I couldn't really read it (skimmed) and what's worse is what that death was supposed to mean for Emma and just so bad.

And I really loved that revolution uniform.

And I think Black Bolt and Scott should have had 12 issues to do stuff without any VS event and not to the death but maybe to the humility.
    Last edited by sungila; 11-14-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Cyclops is the clear protagonist and only POV of the book. It's not a demotion at all

I'm not seeing the option "yes, it is a mistake"
    At least if writers doesn't make the character more dynamic

BANNED

Now he's been brought back but he's also been regressed to Xavier's top soldier, essentially his 90s characterization. He's lost his edge and the story dont provide any opportunity for him to show what made him a great protagonist in the 2010's.

Nah. I'm good.

Astonishing Member

Not a mistake at all. There is no regression Cyclops position in this new status quo makes sense he's one of the leaders of Krakoa as well as the head of military.