• Scott Summers deserves better

12 30.77%
  • Scott Summers used to be right

10 25.64%
  • It's fine as long as he's f###ing Wolvie

17 43.59%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

The last couple of pages here are yikes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    X-men becoming a one man show was a major mistake

X-men are stand in for minorities. Imagine the civil rights being lead by a white guy instead of Luther king or macolm X

That i swhy X-men rarely gets its metaphor across the public
    You're so right. X-Men Red was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    As another black gay male, I couldn't disagree more, ANY singular voice as the lead of a franchise or anything with a multitude of characters is a problem. Your second point brilliantly identifies that, just because he was there first doesn't legitimatize his claim on the franchise's narrative anymore than it would to Beast, Angel, or Iceman.
    X-men should be far more diverse than what we have.

Cyclops being white isn't a problem

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    Yes he was. And Yes it was. But it's reductive. New X-Men Cyclops wasn't only that. He was still a great teacher. Not in the classic meaning. During Riot at Xavier, he really taught a lesson to those dumbed newbies.

Also, I love the fact that he brought in the house, the woolf who ended up killing his wife. Especially as Scott had so much hope in Xorn. Scott really saw him like a power of light. How could he know that that "light" would murder his wife ? I am a Jean fan, but this irony was tragic. Like Jean, being the one "sensing" and saving Emma in Genosha. She brought the woman who would seduce and fell in love with her husband. I wouldn't say that it was Shakesperian, but yes, it was tragedy. And this tragedy opened the doors to a great journey in Cyclops life with an outstanding character evolution.
    For me is impossible like the character after it, but if people like it; For me there is a limit between being flawed
    To think a slap derailed Pym character
    Last edited by spirit2011; 11-15-2019 at 04:15 PM.

BANNED

X-men should be far more diverse than what we have.

Cyclops being white isn't a problem
    Absolutely but do you think that is Cyclops fault?

when Marvel pushed Jean Grey, were they being racist because she is white?
    how is pushing Cyclops different from pushing Jean?

Quote Originally Posted by JanBlackfyre View Post
    Absolutely but do you think that is Cyclops fault?

when Marvel pushed Jean Grey, were they being racist because she is white?
    how is pushing Cyclops different from pushing Jean?
    When they pushed Jean? they just put her on a book. Other x-men books continued doing their own thing, it didn't became her own story. And still she got demoted

BANNED

When they pushed Jean? they just put her on a book. Other x-men books continued doing their own thing, it didn't became her own story. And still she got demoted
    The Cyclops push was indeed bigger but my point is
    when Marvel made X-men Red for example, they just were trying to tell a good story and Jean was the right charater for it. It had nothing to do with her being white.
    That is what happens with Cyclops.

There is indeed a failure on Marvel's part when it comes to the diverse cast but should they kill Cyclops for those characters?

(I'm also dissapointed on many of the things Cyclops has done but those are favors done to him according to the people here)

The Cyclops push was indeed bigger but my point is
    when Marvel made X-men Red for example, they just were trying to tell a good story and Jean was the right charater for it. It had nothing to do with her being white.
    That is what happens with Cyclops.

There is indeed a failure on Marvel's part when it comes to the diverse cast but should they kill Cyclops for those characters?
    Who says they need to kill him?

Jean didn't got a push, she was on a book. It isn't a push.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I honestly don't understand what the controversy is here. Cyclops isn't the main figure in the new status quo. He's just leader of the X-men like he normally tends to be. Characters in other books have a chance to appear in the book. Scott on the other hand only has X-men. Since he is the leader, his constant appearance makes sense. I doubt he will have a large role in every story.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Didn't get a push? REALLY?

She was the only of the O5 that mattered, then got a revival mini-series, then got an entire X-book where the universe bent itself backwards to make her as perfect and flawless as possible, including badly nerfing every other character to make her shine more. Then she was the main protagonist of Disassembled until Age of X-Man, and then she was the lead of the main books of Age of X-Man. The last three years have been her push.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I honestly don't understand what the controversy is here. Cyclops isn't the main figure in the new status quo. He's just leader of the X-men like he normally tends to be. Characters in other books have a chance to appear in the book. Scott on the other hand only has X-men. Since he is the leader, his constant appearance makes sense. I doubt he will have a large role in every story.
    He is the only protagonist, it is basically a solo;

BANNED

Jean is the example I'm using, I'm not questioning if she was pushed or not (I feel she was but not as much as Cyclops and Emma)
    I'm saying that Cyclops getting attention isn't because some racist agenda or that it is his fault other characters of different sexuality or race don't succeed.

Some people just like the character.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Didn't get a push? REALLY?

She was the only of the O5 that mattered, then got a revival mini-series, then got an entire X-book where the universe bent itself backwards to make her as perfect and flawless as possible, including badly nerfing every other character to make her shine more. Then she was the main protagonist of Disassembled until Age of X-Man, and then she was the lead of the main books of Age of X-Man. The last three years have been her push.
    Get to be in a book isn't a push, specially not the on non-flagship. And then writers pretend it never happened.
    I don't know what 3 years you are talking, Red lasted 11 issues. Jean having aminimum of character development didn't even lasted a year

BANNED

It becomes an issue when the "right" character to tell a good story is always white. Storm would have made an interesting protagonist for XMen #2 with her status as Krakoa High Priestess contrasting the role played by the summoner. She has ties to magic, she could have been central to Excalibur. She was leader of the government sanctionned XSE, she could lead XForce or play Emma's role as the middle man between human and mutant. It always seem to come down to preference, but when it's become a pattern that preferences always favor characters of one ethnicity at the expense of everyone else, its a bit suspicious.

None of that has anything to do with this thread though.

Jean is the example I'm using, I'm not questioning if she was pushed or not (I feel she was but not as much as Cyclops and Emma)
    I'm saying that Cyclops getting attention isn't because some racist agenda or that it is his fault other characters of different sexuality or race don't succeed.

Some people just like the character.
    I think that everyone got so well used to Jean getting the worse, that a book became a push.

I don't think it is racism. I don't think anyone likes him because he is white.

But racial bias. I don't think writers and editors even realize that, not even the readers.

Scott is white and is perfectly normal. The problem is when writers and editors put all the x-men story focused on him.
    It's also a behind the scenes problem. Majority of editors and writers are white

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    It becomes an issue when the "right" character to tell a good story is always white. Storm would have made an interesting protagonist for XMen #2 with her status as Krakoa High Priestess contrasting the role played by the summoner. She has ties to magic, she could have been central to Excalibur. She was leader of the government sanctionned XSE, she could lead XForce or play Emma's role as the middle man between human and mutant. It always seem to come down to preference, but when it's become a pattern that preferences always favor characters of one ethnicity at the expense of everyone else, its a bit suspicious.

None of that has anything to do with this thread though.
    Well, then that is Betsy (Excalibur), Wolverine/Jean (X-force) and Emma/Kitty's (marauders) fault too and not only Cyclops which is the guy this thread is about.