Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Part of the thing is that the story is so spread out among villains and heroes. On the villain side, you obviously have Doomsday and Brainiac, but also Cyborg Supes, Xadu, Mongul, and Non. Among the heroes, we have Supes, Bats, Wondy, Lois, Steel, Lana, Shay Veritas, Baka, Martian Manhunter, and Cyborg. That also doesn't include characters of ambiguous alignment, such as Lex, Ghost Soldier, and the leader of the Tower. I should add out a few characters who only show up for a couple of short panels, such as Red Hood and the Outlaws, Aquaman, the Flash, etc. There's just not enough panel space to give anyone besides Superman a lot of extra attention, and even then you could argue that Supes gets squeezed a bit because there are just so many characters. I think giving WW the pinch in Supes/Wondy was a bad idea, but it kind of goes to show how ambitious (good and bad) this crossover has gotten.

The crossover does deserve some credit, especially on Pak's side, for bringing in so many story elements from Action and Batman/Superman. On one hand, you can say it kind of draws focus away from the Doomed part, but on the other hand, it makes it feel like everything you read up to this point matters for this crossover.
    Yeah I know other people have to shine and that's a challenge. That's why I am hoping the next chap in SM/WW #11 does not give her the pinch as well. That it follows right after Action #34, makes me hopeful she will not be written as one of many guest stars in her shared title. The art I hope will be better and consistent and not such a let down as it was in the closing panels in the sm/ww sequence in the annual. A writer can write a great moment but bad layouts and sequencing and poor expressions can mess up impact.

Ultimate Member

I feel like an "aftermath" issue of SM/WW COULD potentially be quite interesting. They're a couple and this traumatic thing has happened to both of them, it could make for interesting character work/drama. And Soule is a good enough writer to pull it off, so we'll see. I feel like such an issue should be either entirely or almost entirely without action and focus just on the two of them, with little to no guest-stars. Spend the whole issue really delving into the effects that this has had on both of them and show them dealing with it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I feel like an "aftermath" issue of SM/WW COULD potentially be quite interesting. They're a couple and this traumatic thing has happened to both of them, it could make for interesting character work/drama. And Soule is a good enough writer to pull it off, so we'll see. I feel like such an issue should be either entirely or almost entirely without action and focus just on the two of them, with little to no guest-stars. Spend the whole issue really delving into the effects that this has had on both of them and show them dealing with it together.
    I like this idea. Maybe we might get this with Superman/Wonder Woman #12. Solicit for it.

“SUPERMAN: DOOMED AFTERMATH”! Diana recovers from the events of DOOMED, and the sacrifices and betrayals made. Is love lost?

BANNED

Batman has the best plans...only that not

Well, I got all the three doomed related issues today, and the best part was the kiss. At least to me
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

Quote Originally Posted by toastedbread View Post
    Can someone help me with a continuity issue here?

I'm really confused by the fact Lois knows Clark is Superman.

I remember that when she first started exhibiting psychic powers, she found out, then there was the whole incident with Parasite which Clark mistakenly thought was a permanent cure, but did seem to make her forget his secret identity.

When she started showing her powers again after that, she seemed initially confused and then disassociative and detached which would make sense considering she was being slowly taken over by Brainiac at the time.

But unless she was actively lying to us all the time and totally remembered who Clark was (why would she do that - Brainiac didn't have total control at that point?) there must have been a point where she remembered what she'd discovered or where she discovered it again.

And it's a big enough deal I found it odd that we were just going ahead treating her knowing who he really is as "normal".

Unless I missed something somewhere.

Which I probably did.

Hence my plea for help...

HELP!
    You've just answered your own question there, friend. She never forgot. See Superman #28 onwards.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Anyone surprised they're starting some romantic hints with John Henry and Lana? Me neither.
    A little Chocolate-Vanilla swirl? I'm down.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post

The way I understand it, Lois was not cured. What happened was Superdoom's death field was able to knock out the nanobots facilitating his hold over her (Superdoom's death field destroyed them so he, too, wasn't affected). This, along with Clark's encouragement and faith in her, allowed Lois enough strength and freedom to use the remaining psychic abilities she had to gain the mental upper hand. Brainiac's still in there, but she's stronger now that some of the infrastructure supporting her thrall has been damaged and her spirit has been lifted. Since Brainiac's still in there somewhere, the powers remaining for her to use isn't too perplexing to me.
    Pak used that in AC #34 to fill a mayor plot hole. And still the explanation is weak. Since when can Lois harvest psychic power like mana? I'm all for character empowerment (just look at Lana Lang), but here Pak has gone into the deep end trying to make Lois Lane relevant to the story. There are better ways this could have been written without resorting to all encompassing psi powers. For instance, Lois could've used her ingenuity and cunning to send a message to Clark in order to find a way our of her own mind. But no. Instead we are left with "We share the same mind prison" - hugs - nanites destroyed - Brainiac mind control off - click - all done!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Pretty much what these people said.

The annuals had some good moments, and its nice to see this storyline finally move forward in a meaningful way, but damn. I long ago lost interest in the Doomed story, despite it being an interesting premise and about the coolest (only) thing done with Doomsday since Superman #75. But come on guys, this entire thing reeks of Lobdell's heavy handed crossover structure; drawn out yet somehow ultimately rushed, lagging in the middle only to come up with instant win scenarios from nowhere at the end....Pak and Soule are better writers than this and Im long past ready to see them return to their own titles and quality levels.
    You just nailed it in your assessment: ie. Lobdell's crossover structure. H'El On Earth all over again. Unnecessarily overlong. A damn shame really. And Action Comics #34 compounds this by introducing a plan B by Brainiac that rendered Plan A useless to begin with!

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I like this idea. Maybe we might get this with Superman/Wonder Woman #12. Solicit for it.
    It all depends with what happens in #11. But seeing how AC #34 panned out, I'm keeping my expectations on check. Soule's strengths lie in the intimate character moments and with all the blockbuster action going on I think he is a little out of his writing comfort zone. Fortunately, we only have to wait a week to find out.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarek View Post
    Pak used that in AC #34 to fill a mayor plot hole. And still the explanation is weak. Since when can Lois harvest psychic power like mana? I'm all for character empowerment (just look at Lana Lang), but here Pak has gone into the deep end trying to make Lois Lane relevant to the story. There are better ways this could have been written without resorting to all encompassing psi powers. For instance, Lois could've used her ingenuity and cunning to send a message to Clark in order to find a way our of her own mind. But no. Instead we are left with "We share the same mind prison" - hugs - nanites destroyed - Brainiac mind control off - click - all done!
    I don't have a clue what plot hole you're referring to. Lois has been capable of summoning immense psionic power since she went up against Psycho Pirate months ago. Lois did use her ingenuity to send a message to Clark. That's why she was only able to speak to him in her mind when she mentally yelled out, "Clark," and then told him she must be seeing him because she cracked it. Clark only knew to use his Doomsday mist to destroy the mind control bots because he had already seen Lois inside her own head. The nanites weren't destroyed until after he left her mind prison and chose to use his death aura to get rid of the bots.

Lois was empowered because she, like Superdoom, has been battling being overtaken by a monster against her will. The only difference was that Superdoom had a team of heroes, a lover, and a friend to help him see the light in the dark. Lois, by contrast, was the first person to question the early signs of Brainiac's master plan. She's been following this story for three years and was only taken out of the picture when her investigation into The Twenty led to her death, resurrection, coma, and possession. Lois' passion for truth and protecting the public made her a target for Brainiac just like Superman's heroism made him vulnerable to Doomsday infection.

The reason Lois was empowered during this arc was because she never stopped fighting while being possessed by Brainiac. As a result, she was capable of breaking his hold on her when she was given her first real chance to do so. And, rather than turn away from a fight as a broken victim, Lois immediately summoned the will to fight back and support her best friend's battle with his own inner monster. Lois Lane was relevant because she, like Baka, was a monster mirror. She was relevant both to the themes and plot of this "Doomed" event.

This issue demonstrated that a woman who had been terribly victimized could fight back, save herself, and then use the scars her tormenter left behind to undo the harm she was forced to inflict. To label such a journey irrelevant seems outrageously dismissive.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I liked the major Justice League/super-hero community representation here. Felt like old times.

That said, I'm ready for it to end. I liked all the titles individually but this is too much!
    This. Especially Superman and Martian Manhunter. I don't remember a collaboration between them in the New 52. This definitely felt good.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xarek View Post
    You've just answered your own question there, friend. She never forgot. See Superman #28 onwards.
    Yeah, I remember those issues, but they mostly just showed her understanding why she was getting psionic powers again. Since she was supposed to still be aware, broadly, of what had happened to her before, that wasn't so weird? It never clarified that she also remembered that Clark was Superman and since that's a pretty huge freaking deal, I just figured that letting the audience know she still did, or Clark realising she still did, would have been worthy of a moment of like...well, a panel of reaction time. So I was worried I'd missed something. But I guess not. Thanks for the clarification.

I enjoyed the Superman/Wonder issue, did not care for the Action annual, and thought Action was ok. I am just happy we only have 3 issues of Doomed left as this story has gone on for way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    That sounds awesome. It will be nice starting with issue 12 Superman/Wonder Woman will finally get a proper second story arc.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

I loved seeing all the heroes come together and fight the global threat. As K. Jones said it did indeed feel like old times when there was more of a sense of community among the DC heroes.

Definitely seemed to be a spark between Steel and Lana.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I don't have a clue what plot hole you're referring to. Lois has been capable of summoning immense psionic power since she went up against Psycho Pirate months ago. Lois did use her ingenuity to send a message to Clark. That's why she was only able to speak to him in her mind when she mentally yelled out, "Clark," and then told him she must be seeing him because she cracked it. Clark only knew to use his Doomsday mist to destroy the mind control bots because he had already seen Lois inside her own head. The nanites weren't destroyed until after he left her mind prison and chose to use his death aura to get rid of the bots.

Lois was empowered because she, like Superdoom, has been battling being overtaken by a monster against her will. The only difference was that Superdoom had a team of heroes, a lover, and a friend to help him see the light in the dark. Lois, by contrast, was the first person to question the early signs of Brainiac's master plan. She's been following this story for three years and was only taken out of the picture when her investigation into The Twenty led to her death, resurrection, coma, and possession. Lois' passion for truth and protecting the public made her a target for Brainiac just like Superman's heroism made him vulnerable to Doomsday infection.

The reason Lois was empowered during this arc was because she never stopped fighting while being possessed by Brainiac. As a result, she was capable of breaking his hold on her when she was given her first real chance to do so. And, rather than turn away from a fight as a broken victim, Lois immediately summoned the will to fight back and support her best friend's battle with his own inner monster. Lois Lane was relevant because she, like Baka, was a monster mirror. She was relevant both to the themes and plot of this "Doomed" event.

This issue demonstrated that a woman who had been terribly victimized could fight back, save herself, and then use the scars her tormenter left behind to undo the harm she was forced to inflict. To label such a journey irrelevant seems outrageously dismissive.
    Lois was empowered during this arc even though she spent 90% of it being controlled by a man and needing another to be free?

Lol. That's good to know.

Was the opening art Ed Benes? Apart from Tony Daniel's pages, I think that looked the best in this issue.