Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Excellent. Howard's wood cut looking art is perfect for Hellboy. And both scary and engaging story. There have been some clunkers recently, but this is a step back to prime Hellboy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

What a treat! This first issue lived up to the hype. I can see why Mike wanted Zack for this story. Those trees and the overall atmosphere is spot on.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm very happy with this new two parter, agreeing Zack Howard's work is superlative, and of course, I'm really grateful for Mike M's writing, but I really want to call attention to Dave Stewart's coloring work-- Stewart has long been one of my very favorite colorists, and as just one example of why this's so can be seen in the first few pages, singling out the coloring of a fore-ground post of the porch of the cabin: the texture and condition of the post is pretty much all conveyed by the colorist, rather than by Howard's pencils. How much was given to Stewart in the pencils is hard for me to determine, but it surely seems like the shades of gray/brown and blacks are all Stewart. He really, really enhances the graphics for me. Leaning back and just enjoying the hell out of this issue.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Ao true Matt. His use of sepia tones for the flashbacks made it very easy to follow pane to panel.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm all for Dave Stewart appreciation, but he's long been one of the best colorists in comics.

The Return of Effie Kolb #1 debrief... although admittedly it's more of a check-in on Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. in general

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

With the dearth of new Hellboy material since covid began I was excited to see this on the rack but after reading it twice now I have to say I almost wish it had been left unpublished. At first, I thought my dissatisfaction with the book stemmed from the fact that the first part was released a whole eight months ago waaay back in February and that perhaps I was just alittle foggy...but after re-reading the two issues back to back it didn't get any better. It's not that its a terrible book, its just that it feels terribly unfinished and its connection to the excellent Crooked Man by Mignola and Corben was nearly non-existent. It doesn't really follow up on the themes or plot from the earlier story and it doesn't complete its own story either making it feel like a prologue rather than a complete story. It does have some bright spots, Hellboy's relationship with Sara and the way he relates to her is just fantastic but its over all too soon.

I forgot this was even a book. I've kinda stopped reading comics since the pandemic put it all on hold.

I would like to see more stories about Sara May. Hopefully she meets up with Hellboy again in the future.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    I would like to see more stories about Sara May. Hopefully she meets up with Hellboy again in the future.
    The interactions between Hellboy and Sara were the only good parts of this book so I'd be open for more.