Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Original Sin #5.3--Thor & Loki: The Tenth Realm #3 *Spoilers*

Just picked up the new "Tenth Realm" issue. The short synopsys:

The Angels are basically amoral mercenaries that carry a grudge.
    Thor jobs for yet another new powerhouse character.
    Loki inexplicably turns back into a woman (in spite of not having Sif's skin to wear).

I had hoped that, with Aaron involved, Thor may have been treated with some respect but it looks like Marvel is back to making him the punching bag for the latest New-Kid-on-the-Block to show how powerful they are. Very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post

The Angels are basically amoral mercenaries that carry a grudge.
    Thor jobs for yet another new powerhouse character.
    Loki inexplicably turns back into a woman (in spite of not having Sif's skin to wear).

I had hoped that, with Aaron involved, Thor may have been treated with some respect but it looks like Marvel is back to making him the punching bag for the latest New-Kid-on-the-Block to show how powerful they are. Very disappointing.

I do not know how powerful Angela is supposed to be so not sure if this is a true jobbing or not.

They did keep reiterating how fast Angela is for some reason... like they were trying to justify the beat down she layed on Thor.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Spectacular Member

She stated he may have a little more strength than her but they did keep repeating that she was faster. By all appearances, she was so fast he couldn't lay a hand on her.

It looked to me like he was never in the fight, which is pure jobbing, in my opinion. For some reason, Marvel continues to use Thor to show how amazingly powerful and awesome their new characters are. It's beyond tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I do not know how powerful Angela is supposed to be so not sure if this is a true jobbing or not.

They did keep reiterating how fast Angela is for some reason... like they were trying to justify the beat down she layed on Thor.
    As someone who's read her GOTG appearances, it is, massively so (Spawn Universe Angela is even further down the totem pole).

Not only did Thor apparently completely forget how to fight or do anything aside then get beat up, but he is massively stronger and more powerful (Not just a bit more) and while Angela displayed decent reflexes and speed, it's clear that she\s nowhere near fast enough to be > Mjolnir or even > Thor in speed.

Just dumb and lazy writing.

Ultimate Member

Or not since we never saw her use her true power before. Now if you're upset that Thor didn't dominate the fight, fine. But it wasn't a job. You don't "job" to someone who's upper power limits are as of yet unknown. And it's also standard storytelling to build up your new character. "dumb and lazy writer" of course meaning "stuff that I don't like." Not the same thing dude. Oh my God, Thor lost a fight to a new character, it's not like that's never happened to any other character before, it got to be some kind of vendetta against Thor by Marvel. Oh and Loki's a shapeshifter, so he can change genders. He's already did it once in his own book.
    Last edited by Punisher007; 08-06-2014 at 03:11 PM.

BANNED

First Gamora now Thor for some reason I still don't like Angela nor care if she dies. But she has fans so what do I know. As to the this tenth realm blast it out of existence i have no interest reading Jason's comedic parody of heaven I've had enough parody versions of his as it is.

Does Thor know Angela is his sister? If he does, then that's your answer why Thor didn't make a fight of it. How much was revealed in this book anyway? Does Angela know Thor is her brother yet? How did Angela get from deep space, where she was last with the GOTG, to Heven?

Or was this just all powerful Angela protecting her sisters in Heven from the evil Asgardian Odinsons?
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-06-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

its been pretty established that the eye blast has only give out-of-context glimpses of what uatu saw; so odds are all thor saw was the queen taking baby aldriff and hightailing it out of asgard. it probably doesn't help that it was probably a fair few cycles of ragnarok ago

i don't think the tenth realm is meant to MU heaven-heaven; if i was to guess maybe a colony of fallen angels?

also, someone better warn the angels that loki (regardless of incarnation) is not so much the god of what works, and more the god of constant self-sabotage. and i'm going to guess thor becoming 'unworthy' and angela's apparently upcoming exile from the tenth realm are loki's doing
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 08-06-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Does Thor know Angela is his sister? If he does, then that's your answer why Thor didn't make a fight of it. How much was revealed in this book anyway? Does Angela know Thor is her brother yet? How did Angela get from deep space, where she was last with the GOTG, to Heven?

Or was this just all powerful Angela protecting her sisters in Heven from the evil Asgardian Odinsons?
    Nope, Thor nor Angela know they are each other sibling. Thor continues to state he is looking for his sister. And Angela doesn't care and keeps battling him. Neither have a clue that they are related yet. I have a feeling issue 4 will reveal that. Plus Thor just underestimated the skill of Angela. He has not had a battle with her nor does he really know of the skills of the Angels. He initially came there in peace, in looking for his sister not looking or truly prepared to fight.

I liked this issue. I am intrigued with the opening pages and want to know who are the two playing cosmic chess. Also I do enjoy the Loki pages far more than the Thor pages. There is so much depth and subtly in the discussion between Loki and the queen. I found those pages more enjoyable than the fight. Curious as to Loki's plan as he has "allied" himself with the Angels.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    Nope, Thor nor Angela know they are each other sibling. Thor continues to state he is looking for his sister. And Angela doesn't care and keeps battling him. Neither have a clue that they are related yet. I have a feeling issue 4 will reveal that. Plus Thor just underestimated the skill of Angela. He has not had a battle with her nor does he really know of the skills of the Angels. He initially came there in peace, in looking for his sister not looking or truly prepared to fight.

I liked this issue. I am intrigued with the opening pages and want to know who are the two playing cosmic chess. Also I do enjoy the Loki pages far more than the Thor pages. There is so much depth and subtly in the discussion between Loki and the queen. I found those pages more enjoyable than the fight. Curious as to Loki's plan as he has "allied" himself with the Angels.
    From what I can see it appears to be Odin and his brother Cul ( The Serpent from Fear Itself) playing chess. The small parts of the faces seem to match and the Pale King piece is clearly Odin. The line about the dark king trying to escspe, could be linked to the fact that following Fear Itself Odin took Cul's body away to become its keeper in self imposed exile.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post

If Angela's parents were Odin and Freyja, then they are only half-siblings, since Thor's mom is Gaea, not Freyja.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    If Angela's parents were Odin and Freyja, then they are only half-siblings, since Thor's mom is Gaea, not Freyja.
    Marvel appears to have forgotten that fact. They've been treating Frigga/Freyja/whatever her name is like she's Thor's mom (I think that he even calls her that). I wonder if it's yet another attempt to line things up with the movies (where Frigga is Thor's mother)?

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Marvel appears to have forgotten that fact. They've been treating Frigga/Freyja/whatever her name is like she's Thor's mom (I think that he even calls her that). I wonder if it's yet another attempt to line things up with the movies (where Frigga is Thor's mother)?
    Well, she raised him, so it still makes sense for her to refer to her that way... although one wonders why he hasn't noticed the name and appearance change.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danvidar View Post
    From what I can see it appears to be Odin and his brother Cul ( The Serpent from Fear Itself) playing chess. The small parts of the faces seem to match and the Pale King piece is clearly Odin. The line about the dark king trying to escspe, could be linked to the fact that following Fear Itself Odin took Cul's body away to become its keeper in self imposed exile.
    Got it, thanks! Now, then, I'm curious as to what this has to do with the overall story? How does this tie into the story of Heven and what repercussions will develop from that. Interesting.

As for Thor calling Freja "Mother", I look it as a sign of respect as she would be the mother of Asgard as Odin was the Father. I could be wrong and Marvel may be trying to alter things, but that's how I am looking at it until I am shown otherwise.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post

He has shapeshifted into a woman in his own series already. He does not need Sif's body. I think he was just doing it to gain their trust. it looks like he is betraying Thor (as per usual, at least when it comes to old school Loki) but at the same time, he did save his life.