Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default B and C list characters and how you would reimagine them.

1. Challengers of the Unknown: I’d take the name and reimagine the concept as DC’s multiverse and time travel themed series. The Cast would be made up of any superhero that has inter-dimensional and time travel as a major part of their lore.

Cast
    Mr. Terrific
    Powergirl
    Booster Gold
    Just to name a few. A lot of these characters are somewhat popular but perhaps not popular enough to hold a book for themselves.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    1. Challengers of the Unknown: I’d take the name and reimagine the concept as DC’s multiverse and time travel themed series. The Cast would be made up of any superhero that has inter-dimensional and time travel as a major part of their lore.

Cast
    Mr. Terrific
    Powergirl
    Booster Gold
    Just to name a few. A lot of these characters are somewhat popular but perhaps not popular enough to hold a book for themselves.
    I don’t see much reason to call them Challengers of the Unknown if it’s not going to include any of the original members.

Roy Harper, Artemis Crock and Jade Nguyen.

Roy would be Navajo born and his parents would still be alive. He would still be Green Arrow's partner in crimefighting (which might be a result of some tension between him and his father as Roy's uncle died as a superhero). Roy would join the Titans in his youth before becoming an agent of Checkmate as the White Queen's Knight.

Roy would also have a cousin named Brooke Truman who works for the DMA (Department of Metahuman Affairs). The Roy Harper clone from Young Justice would be used in this continuity. One idea has Will being part of a villain project to clone and replace several heroes. The League and the government shut it down but Jim Harper adopts him and passes him off as Roy's cousin.

The other has Will created by Vandal Savage as a back up body and having enhanced physiology. When he starts showing signs of independence, Savage tries to kill him but he is rescued by Scandal Savage and secreted away to live a life free from Savage until he and Roy cross paths one day.

Jade Nguyen and Artemis Crock would borrow from their comic and YJ animated incarnations. Jade and Artemis would be half-sisters with Jade's father being a Vietnamese man who died while Artemis would the daughter of Sportsmaster as usual. Their mother would be Paula Nguyen. Jade is kidnapped into human trafficking and ends up an assassin while Artemis becomes the superhero Tigress (starts out as Artemis but later graduates). When Jade is ordered to kill her sister she is unable to pull the trigger and is caught. Artemis beseeches Roy to help her get a lighter sentence. Artemis would have dated both Wally West and Icicle jr and remain on good terms with them. She would be in a current relationship with Mia Dearden.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-16-2019 at 05:24 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I don’t see much reason to call them Challengers of the Unknown if it’s not going to include any of the original members.
    The originals can be on the team I guess, but it seems to me that they come across as a far less interesting version of the Fantastic Four.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

To be fair, DC has tried that more than once, though the originals tend to show up eventually.

Speaking of exploring the multiverse, the originals were set up at one point to be explorers of Hypertime, but nothing was done with it.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Cast
    Mr. Terrific
    Powergirl
    Booster Gold
    If that were a team doing things like the old Exiles book? I think I'd read the hell out of that.
    Add Kid Quantum from Legion as well the original one that died before his sister took the mantle. (hard to kill people with time powers)
    and.... and.... 1 bad guy on a redemption arc.

It would be like the CW show I'd guess... name escapes me at the moment.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Jade Nguyen and Artemis Crock would borrow from their comic and YJ animated incarnations. Jade and Artemis would be half-sisters with Jade's father being a Vietnamese man who died while Artemis would the daughter of Sportsmaster as usual. Their mother would be Paula Nguyen. Jade is kidnapped into human trafficking and ends up an assassin while Audrey becomes the superhero Tigress (starts out as Artemis but later graduates). When Jade is ordered to kill her sister she is unable to pull the trigger and is caught. Artemis beseeches Roy to help her get a lighter sentence. Artemis would have dated both Wally West and Icicle jr and remain on good terms with them. She would be in a current relationship with Mia Dearden.
    I really do like the Young Justice cartoon's take on Artemis and Chesire (and Sportsmaster and Tigress), so that's a cool one!

John Chan, the Man Called CLAW

I've posted this before, so apologies to anyone who's seen this but there's a new thread so:
    -- Introduced in "Primal Force" John Chan is a Hong Kong native who is the modern iteration of "Claw, the Unconquered." I'd ditch the old-school armor, modernize him with an anime/Highlander inspired look, mixed with some body horror mystical drama and flesh out his backstory and the mythos of his demon hand. He could be DC's Ghost Rider in that way where he's a flawed and angry human constantly at war with this demonic aspect of himself, while kicking demonic or mystical ass along the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-17-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Boisterously Confused

The originals can be on the team I guess, but it seems to me that they come across as a far less interesting version of the Fantastic Four.
    That's because the FF were a retooled version of TCotU by the creator of both.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    To be fair, DC has tried that more than once, though the originals tend to show up eventually.

Speaking of exploring the multiverse, the originals were set up at one point to be explorers of Hypertime, but nothing was done with it.
    I mean you might as well just give them a new name.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I mean you might as well just give them a new name.
    I don't agree.
    Well maybe slightly. . . I thought Id seen something like that before and my mind jumped to exiles, while thinking DC had done it, and they had.

CHALLENGERS FROM BEYOND

Jason Todd, Donna Troy, Ryan choi, and a monitor named bob are "sliding" from universe to universe looking for ray palmer.

I would read a challengers from beyond book, right now they're doing tales from the dark multiverse and if they went from that and spun into
    challengers from beyond I'd DEFINITELY buy something like that.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

The Amazing Man
    - I would reboot the Markus Clay version of the character. Keep him a legacy character so as to not jettison the past AM's. (except the last one who was in OMAC)
    - Tweak his powers to be less like the Absorbing Man. Once he touches something, its stored in his mind and he can bring it forth anytime at will. His body will also respond to attack or danger reflexively to adapt to whatever dangerous situation he's in. (He's not a metamorph - his body doesn't change shape, just what his body is made out of)
    - Along with the tweaked powers come his persona. It's about resilience. He can take what comes and withstand it and keep going. Show that he's been in the game a few years, but hasn't teamed up or joined up. Not that he wouldn't if asked, but he's simply never found himself on that stage. He's essentially a hard worker who wants to honor his legacy and protect people.
    - Stepping up: AM finds himself on a larger stage, facing bigger foes and realizes he can't just focus on New Orleans if he really wants to make a difference. He will get roped into conversations about what it means to be "a black hero" though he just wants to be "a hero," but that conversation just never goes away and he'll struggle to find a way to address it ...(especially considering how his grandfather was a social activist, so that's another aspect of carrying legacy to be explored)

Boisterously Confused

Image.jpg

Booster Gold: Honestly, I'd return him to his roots as a bit of a self-absorbed and opportunistic wealth-and-fame-hound, who nonetheless does the right thing. If you read his first series, he was really ahead of his time and is tailor made for our "influencer" culture of today.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Image.jpg

Booster Gold: Honestly, I'd return him to his roots as a bit of a self-absorbed and opportunistic wealth-and-fame-hound, who nonetheless does the right thing. If you read his first series, he was really ahead of his time and is tailor made for our "influencer" culture of today.
    Yeah, Booster should be his own brand of anti-hero. A commercial fop who has more brains and heart than people realize because he's always chasing fame. Maturing him or moving away from that genericizes him. People, even heroes, should have a mix of good and bad qualities. A talented writer can keep him likable despite his flaws.

BANNED

I'd kill off the current Hawkman and Hawkgirl/woman and reincarnate them into a pair of hard travelling heroes like the old Hulk show. They'd travel from town to town trying to find a way to break a curse or prevent a prophecy or something, and they'd help locals while on the run from Shadow Thief and Cadmus. They would be a pair of bikers, with the nth metal armor appearing when needed. Keep the reincarnated lovers thing but add a sense of us against the world and a forboding future. They've tried to stop a coming calamity in their past lives but haven't succeeded yet. Make it more magic like Swamp Thing and Animal Man than sci fi.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-21-2019 at 12:58 PM.