Default Jedi: Fallen Order reviews are in

Seem to be generally positive, saying it's the best Star Wars game in a long time (Which isn't that hard). Lots of comparisons to Dark Souls. Main problems seem to be graphics are a little meh, the lightsaber seems to be the only weapon (no blasters I guess?) and the story is too dark (However, this is during the height of the Empire's power, before the rebellion was really formalized).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

too dark... SOLD !!! ... too dark is the dance of sunshine freakes who dance with happy ponies under a rainbow with pink clauds with sparkels. Too dark is my jam. You have a darth vader avatar and you don't like dark ? lol that's rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    too dark... SOLD !!! ... too dark is the dance of sunshine freakes who dance with happy ponies under a rainbow with pink clauds with sparkels. Too dark is my jam. You have a darth vader avatar and you don't like dark ? lol that's rich.
    He didn't say that I thought that it was too dark said it is one of the points of the reviews. He does point out that it is in a dark time in the universe during the creation of the empires control and when there grasp was strongest.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

iMan 42s

This is a game that really wants to be Darksouls and after a point I just get frustrated with it. Memorizing enemy spawns and how they fight is one thing but your basic combo seems to be enough for everything. Deviating I find tends to be what gets Cal killed the most and so I'm stuck with the same patterns. So things get really slow and missing a beat in combat can get Cal killed sending him far back meaning you have to do the trek again. Multiple times even if you're just not having a good day. It becomes less about being a Jedi and more memorizing enemy spawns. I'll complete it but so far I'm just not feeling it.

Granted I'm early, but I like Cal but if worst comes to worst I just can't muster up the feeling to care. His time as a scrapper just gets glossed over so when his big moment hits I have no idea why I should care other than I should because Cal does. Then there's also the A plot which so far I feel like it didn't need Cal to do or more how he gets involved. I don't know, I don't feel like it's going to be another Battlefront 2 but I'm getting wary.

So far I like it enough to stick with it but I wouldn't blame somebody to wait on it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

iMan 42s

So I completed it a bit ago and I just give it a grade out of the gate; C+

No spoilers in case anybody hasn't played it but it's lacking on a narrative and technical level.
    Fallen Order is kind of all over the place when it comes to its narrative having three different threads that just kind of happen in the end. You could honestly condense a lot of the story down to simply becoming a Jedi, discovering the Mcguffin, and getting to it before the bad guys do. All the stuff with the temples could be condensed to Jedi trials or side quests and you wouldn't really miss much. The ending also feels kind of abrupt that feels like it only exists to justify the player playing after the credits roll. I'm just going to be blunt about it, Cameron Monaghan is not a voice actor and may honestly be one of the weakest actors in the room. He's also playing the least interesting character since the transition from young Cal to adult Cal happens in flashbacks as the game goes on so it's just summed up in teaching the player how to do a thing, doing the thing, and then finally backstory and we have as much as the sentence Cal gave to begin with. It really should've been about Cere Junda since her plot seems to have the most stakes in what shes trying to accomplish. She's the one with the quest, things to do and the emotional beats. Cal is only involved since he's pretty much the errand boy and so you could completely drop him.

The game-play is alright though enemy variation is a little lacking. It works better on higher difficulties but then combat just becomes a chore with memorizing enemy spawns since they can become unforgiving by any means. Fighting Empire works, fighting space bugs does not and we do a lot of that. What it improves on from Force Unleashed is the game-play although on difficulties where the game is actually playable it can become too easy and can become too spaced out as the game goes on until the final level, it's still too easy there's just more enemies.
    Customization is also bizarre for being so lacking. Other Star Wars games give a plethora of options but here it's just color variations on a jacket and a dozen or so alternate ponchos. There's a model in the game we use for all of ten seconds and we never see again. Why? It's all non-canon anyways outside of the default and story beats so why not let the player have the option? Even lightsabers aren't free of this and it actually removes an option later on (two if you count the alternate model's lightsaber which has some options we outright don't have access to). I'm reluctant to 100% this since there isn't anything to do with these options after you get them. I have all but four or five items and even went the whole game without lightsaber throw, I just don't feel I need to do it if this is it.
    Speaking of that being that, there's nothing to do in the end game if you don't feel the need to go for achievements or hunt missing chests. There isn't even a new game plus or arena mode (ironic considering the game has an arena location). So once you beat the game you either start over or you're done.

I get that a lot of people like that a single player Star Wars game happened, but I feel like their more blinded by the fact that it did and less observant of the fact that it's also just over. Once the credits roll you can set it aside and never see it again and for 60 to 70 dollars for a title you can complete in a day's play time there just needs to be a bit more. It's a game don't get me wrong and its writing supersedes those that came before it, but I think we all need to settle down before we cry "star wars games are good again".

Outside of that there was a host of bugs that hurt this game something fierce and despite two patches I've seen, I managed to have most of them into the end game.
    -Frame rate dropping immensely.
    -Game crashes to dashboard (this happened several times with one being on the final level).
    -Cal at one point died for no reason
    -A room didn't load causing Cal to fall through the void
    -Clipping of hair and ponchos and flailing wildly despite nothing affecting them.
    -Textures not loading leading to Cere at one point loading in pale and even missing eyes and things like scars or tattoos popping in.
    -Missing animations where Cal, stormtroopers, and at one point an Inquisitor T-posed for a few seconds.
    -Cal's climbing animation scaling a hill resulted in amusing error where his leg bent 360 degrees around even went through his torso.
    -Lightsabers active and embedded in Cal despite being deactivated on the belt.
    -Texture popping.
    -Models being missing from the Inquisitor or Rocket Stormtroopers not loading.
    -Stuttering.
    -Rubber banding from a swinging rope to another room.
    -Falling through the map into another room.
    -At one point the wrong model loaded in with a Stormtrooper where a Clone Trooper should be and then a Clone where the Stormtrooper should be. I'm genuinely unsure how that was caused.
    -More egregious is a save being made only to return to it and finding an even earlier save so an evening's play-through went to waste.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

So I've played some of the game. I have to say it's pretty fun though I'm not a fan of the backtracking.

It is a great game. I love it - four out of five stars.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    So I've played some of the game. I have to say it's pretty fun though I'm not a fan of the backtracking.
    I'm of two minds. On the one hand, if you use the map well and are being careful to explore enough to open shortcuts, it's honestly not that bad most of the time. I think it took me like 5 minutes to get from the Venator wreckage back to the Mantis once, and that was among the longer hauls I had to make. You can make pretty direct routes from the farthest corners of both Zeffo and Kashyyyk once you have all your skills.

On the other hand, those early marches ARE pretty brutal. Kashyyyk's isn't too bad, you can use the cargo transport thing to cover a lot of ground, but Zeffo, especially the first time you're there, requires you to think about the map distressingly hard if you don't want to just retrace 60% of your route. And it totally feels like those sections are just there to pad out play times, forcing the story to take unnaturally longer to progress so as to trick you into feeling you got more game.

And, of course, both of the above assume you aren't dying a bunch in the combat, which further pads out travel times and further extends the gameplay loop artificially. If you have yourself at a comfortable, challenging but not overwhelming difficulty level you probably make it through faster and with less fuss. If you're playing on Grand Master, particularly if you don't yet have a feel for how the combat mechanics or the controls behave, you're going to spend so much time respawing and covering old ground over and over and over again that I feel for you. (I played on Master, and it was challenging but not really hard. I leave Grand Master to you hardcore players.) The same is true with upgrades. If you're finding the stim crates relatively as swiftly as you can get each of them, the added healing will keep you from those long respawn waits, and the accompanying walks. But if you miss them, or save them for late game, you're talking about probably adding a sizable bit of extra time to the game.

That said, I pretty much agree. I have some issues with the combat, but the artificially padded retread pathing is easily this games' biggest problem.

Still, the story is really quite well done. Especially if you're taking the time to do all the conversations and get into the lore elements with the main characters. And I thought the puzzles were a lot of fun, but I'm a weird puzzle person so maybe that was just me. Easily the best SW game in quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I'm of two minds. On the one hand, if you use the map well and are being careful to explore enough to open shortcuts, it's honestly not that bad most of the time. I think it took me like 5 minutes to get from the Venator wreckage back to the Mantis once, and that was among the longer hauls I had to make. You can make pretty direct routes from the farthest corners of both Zeffo and Kashyyyk once you have all your skills.

On the other hand, those early marches ARE pretty brutal. Kashyyyk's isn't too bad, you can use the cargo transport thing to cover a lot of ground, but Zeffo, especially the first time you're there, requires you to think about the map distressingly hard if you don't want to just retrace 60% of your route. And it totally feels like those sections are just there to pad out play times, forcing the story to take unnaturally longer to progress so as to trick you into feeling you got more game.

And, of course, both of the above assume you aren't dying a bunch in the combat, which further pads out travel times and further extends the gameplay loop artificially. If you have yourself at a comfortable, challenging but not overwhelming difficulty level you probably make it through faster and with less fuss. If you're playing on Grand Master, particularly if you don't yet have a feel for how the combat mechanics or the controls behave, you're going to spend so much time respawing and covering old ground over and over and over again that I feel for you. (I played on Master, and it was challenging but not really hard. I leave Grand Master to you hardcore players.) The same is true with upgrades. If you're finding the stim crates relatively as swiftly as you can get each of them, the added healing will keep you from those long respawn waits, and the accompanying walks. But if you miss them, or save them for late game, you're talking about probably adding a sizable bit of extra time to the game.

That said, I pretty much agree. I have some issues with the combat, but the artificially padded retread pathing is easily this games' biggest problem.

Still, the story is really quite well done. Especially if you're taking the time to do all the conversations and get into the lore elements with the main characters. And I thought the puzzles were a lot of fun, but I'm a weird puzzle person so maybe that was just me. Easily the best SW game in quite some time.
    I tend to start on the lowest difficulty then work my way up. Nothing wrong with liking puzzles. The puzzles are challenging but never really unfair. There's just no hand holding. Of course I tend to roam around in games so I might have had an easier time. The only other negative that I found is sometimes there's a glitch where a scan or sense (sensing?) doesn't work.

It's a minor detail but kind of annoying. However I feel the positives far outweigh it's negatives. The story is really good, The combat is pretty fun, and the Platforming is good for the most part. Not a fan of the ice slides. I do hope they make a sequel. I feel like s certain em ever joined the crew far too late in the game.