All-New Member

Default Blackest Night graphic novel

Playing through DCUO, Blackest Night was some of my favorite content. I know a few things about DC, but not a whole lot. I was tempted to get Blackest Night, but my manager told me I'd need to know a *lot* of back story before I get into it. What novels would you guys suggest I get into before blackest night?

I personally don't think you need to know a lot. As long as you understand that there's a history in terms of "there were some heroes who died" you can kinda pick it up without having to know a ton of that backstory to get you emotionally invested in all the heroes who appear. I think Johns explains everything else about the black and white lanterns in-story, but maybe one thing that might be helpful is the GL issues Johns wrote about Black Hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Timewalker View Post
    Playing through DCUO, Blackest Night was some of my favorite content. I know a few things about DC, but not a whole lot. I was tempted to get Blackest Night, but my manager told me I'd need to know a *lot* of back story before I get into it. What novels would you guys suggest I get into before blackest night?
    Indeed. Geoff Johns revived Hal Jordan and introduced all the other lanterns, orange, blue, red, ... The Gardians had all kept that secret and this reason backfires on them during Blackest Night event.
    Blackest Night is part of Geoff Johns massive run. His run is available in Massive Omnibuses format (probably the biggest Omnibuses from DC) or in small tpb/crossovers:

0. Green Lantern: Secret Origin
    1. Green Lantern: Rebirth - important
    2. Green Lantern: No fear
    3. Green Lantern Corps: Recharge - optional
    4. Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns
    5. Green Lantern Corps: To be a Green Lantern - optional
    6. Green Lantern: Wanted – Hal Jordan
    7. Green Lantern Corps: The Dark Side of Green - optional
    8. Green Lantern: The Sinestro War Corps - very important - color yellow
    9. Green Lantern Corps: Ring Quest - optional
    10. Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns - color red
    11. Green Lantern Corps: Sins of the Star Sapphire - color pink
    12. reen Lantern: Agent Orange - color orange
    13. Green Lantern Corps: Emerald Eclipse - optional
    14. Blackest Night - event
    15. Blackest Night: Green Lantern
    16. Blackest Night: Green Lantern Corps
    17. Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps
    18. Brightest Day 1
    19. Brightest Day 2
    20. Green Lantern Corps: Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns - optional
    21. Brightest Day: Green Lantern
    22. Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors Vol. 1 - optional
    23. Brightest Day 3
    24. Green Lantern Corps: The Weaponer - optional
    25. Green Lantern: War of the Green Lanterns
    26. War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath
    27. Flashpoint - event
    28. Green Lantern: Sinestro
    29. Green Lantern Corps: Fearsome - optional
    30. Green Lantern: Revenge of the Black Hand
    31. Green Lantern Corps: Alpha War - optional
    32. Green Lantern: The End

or

1. Green Lantern omnibus by Geoff Johns Book 1 – Collects: Green Lantern Rebirth #1-6, Green Lantern Corps Recharge #1-5, Green Lantern #1-25, Green Lantern Corps #14-18, Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special #1, Green Lantern Secret Files 2005 #1, Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman Prime #1 and Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps Secret Files #1.

2. Green Lantern omnibus by Geoff Johns Book 2 – Collects Green Lantern #26-52, Blackest Night #0-7, DC Universe #0, Untold Tales of Blackest Night #1-2, Blackest Night Tales of the Corps #1-2.

3. Green Lantern omnibus by Geoff Johns Book 3 – Collects Green Lantern #53-60, Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas special #1, Green Lantern (2011) #1-20, Green Lantern annual #1, Green Lantern Corps #58-60, and Green Lantern Emerald Warriors #8-10.

And there you have his grand story.

For the pre-Geoff Johns, to know you can try to find, but it's badly collected. DC is ongoing reprints in new omnibuses.

All-New Member

Thank you both! I may just get Blackest Night, mainly because looking at those omnibuses, they are about $70-125 each. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Timewalker View Post
    Thank you both! I may just get Blackest Night, mainly because looking at those omnibuses, they are about $70-125 each. Haha
    Indeed they are heavy and pricy.
    So I would suggest:

1. Green Lantern: Secret Origin (optional) - https://comicvine.gamespot.com/green...in/4050-32719/
    2. Green Lantern Rebirth (optional) - https://comicvine.gamespot.com/green...th/4050-49259/
    3. The Sinestrop Corps War 1 - https://comicvine.gamespot.com/green...ar/4050-32780/
    4. The Sinestrop Corps War 2 - https://comicvine.gamespot.com/green...ar/4050-32780/
    5. Blackest Night Saga (DC Essential Edition) - https://comicvine.gamespot.com/black...n/4050-116961/

Have Fun