All-New Member

Default The Core of X: A Look Into 56 Years of X-Appearances

Hey all! X-Men fan and longtime lurker here.

I wanted to share a visual-heavy article I created that looks into the past 56 years of appearances for a number of key X-characters. There are many important X-Men missing from this research, and I'll get to them when I have the time (even Sketch!).

I hope you all enjoy. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have!

-Carl
    Last edited by gottabecarl; 11-15-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Link did not work.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

All-New Member

Thanks! I think I fixed it. Figures I'd bungle the delivery.

BANNED

Can someone tell me if it works now?

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

It does.
    Amused and happy that’s Kurt’s little icon has him hanging upside down, bless him.

BANNED

This is awesome! I love the design work.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I really love how you drew the characters that's probably my favorite part

And yeah those arrows are pretty crazy looking for some of these characters but when you think about, it mostly makes sense

(Storm is the biggest "Core" arrow, Wolvie biggest "Solo", Polaris "Splinter", Emma Frost/Cannonball/Magik "Young", Cable and X-23 both Solo and Splinter)
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

This is --like --I mean --AWESOME 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Amused and happy that’s Kurt’s little icon has him hanging upside down, bless him.
    Bless him

Quote Originally Posted by gottabecarl View Post
    Thanks! I think I fixed it. Figures I'd bungle the delivery.
    Very interesting analysis, and I like the visuals except for the fact that Ororo has a beige face in her icon(while Bishop is correctly brown).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

All-New Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Definitely a passion project for me. I think there will be more riveting analysis to be had, and differentiation to be seen, once I research more of the splinter team mutants. Frankly, the characters I included are mostly the mainstays. Where it gets interesting for me is characters like Cannonball who started outside of the main teams and found their way into many of the core books. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until I was in too deep to change course!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Very interesting analysis, and I like the visuals except for the fact that Ororo has a beige face in her icon(while Bishop is correctly brown).
    Thank you SO much for pointing this out! Copying and pasting the same few bodies as templates made things easier on me from a production standpoint, but left me open to making this unfortunate mistake in my haste to finish the article. I hate that I didn't more thoroughly review my work in that section, particularly to prevent such an insensitive error. I've fixed it.

Here's all the little icons together since people seem to enjoy them!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carl, this is some really cool stuff and I enjoyed reading through and checking out the charts. They should call you for some infographic work on the X-Books. Love the cute mutants! Love that Illyana is partially teleporting. *hugging Betsy's little sword and Remy's little bo staff*
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gottabecarl View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! Definitely a passion project for me. I think there will be more riveting analysis to be had, and differentiation to be seen, once I research more of the splinter team mutants. Frankly, the characters I included are mostly the mainstays. Where it gets interesting for me is characters like Cannonball who started outside of the main teams and found their way into many of the core books. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until I was in too deep to change course!

Thank you SO much for pointing this out! Copying and pasting the same few bodies as templates made things easier on me from a production standpoint, but left me open to making this unfortunate mistake in my haste to finish the article. I hate that I didn't more thoroughly review my work in that section, particularly to prevent such an insensitive error. I've fixed it.

Here's all the little icons together since people seem to enjoy them!
    The infographics were good, as an artist, I find visuals like that deeply satisfying. But the little x-icons are adorable, all of them* than you.

*but particularly Kurt, yes, I am biased.

Like others have said, the design work is phenomenal. My eyes are SPARKLING with joy looking at it.

well done is this some good stuff