Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    So, can we now admit that it wasn't a good idea to separate her story from Peter's?
    I think it's more an issue of execution then concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's more an issue of execution then concept.
    I agree with you. Last issue was better. The heavy focus on Mysterio's (frightening? lovable?) antics, his artistic vision, and budget issues feels like a mistake this issue. It's just hard to have much motivation to care about whether or not Mysterio gets to make a movie. Maybe if it felt like there was more at stake for MJ personally.

Alternatively, if this was even just a bit more connected and complementary to Spider-Man--but with a primary focus on Mary Jane, her interests, and her perspective--it would be a much more valuable addition. In fact, that's much more how the first issue felt, and to me it worked a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    I’m praying you didn’t subject your eyes to the pain of reading this.....
    No, I haven't thankfully lol I thought the first issue was alright but I'm sticking with the main man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vaegrin View Post
    I agree with you. Last issue was better. The heavy focus on Mysterio's (frightening? lovable?) antics, his artistic vision, and budget issues feels like a mistake this issue. It's just hard to have much motivation to care about whether or not Mysterio gets to make a movie. Maybe if it felt like there was more at stake for MJ personally.

Alternatively, if this was even just a bit more connected and complementary to Spider-Man--but with a primary focus on Mary Jane, her interests, and her perspective--it would be a much more valuable addition. In fact, that's much more how the first issue felt, and to me it worked a lot better.
    I am willing to give the story the benefit of the doubt (unlike say Abrams take that was bad from the start( not the least was killing MJ)).Why? I liked the first issue and sometimes we can be pleasantly surprised the like Life Story' finale after I hated issue 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaegrin View Post

I mean, it's MJ's big break back into acting, and she believes in Mysterio's vision for the movie. How's that not a personal stake? And she's the one who manages to come through with the money (and suggests how 'cage' can reinvent himself to get it).

And how could it be connected to Spider-Man? They're on different coasts, and the movie doesn't actually have much to do with Peter personally. It's the Amazing Mary Jane. You want Spider-Man, he's got his own book.

Honestly, I like where it's going and I'm on board with it.

I don’t necessarily think this is a case of MJ not being strong enough on her own. This is just a bad concept right now. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying I want a MJ ongoing or anything like that. I’m firmly against that. But I do think MJ could handle a series much better then what’s being shown now.

I feel like I must have read a different issue because the views in this thread aren’t as visceral as mine lol. To each their own.. I understand that. However I can’t see anything positive from this issue. It was just so bad and it does nothing to showcase the magic of the MJ character. I typically give issues an additional read through after I’m done but there’s no way I could stomach getting through this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    I mean, it's MJ's big break back into acting, and she believes in Mysterio's vision for the movie. How's that not a personal stake? And she's the one who manages to come through with the money (and suggests how 'cage' can reinvent himself to get it).
    In theory, yes, MJ has a stake. I would have been happier if the issue had invested more in playing up MJ's motivation and interests and spent less attention on Mysterio's. But it's just one issue, and I'm still on board overall. I simply thought the first issue was stronger.

And how could it be connected to Spider-Man? They're on different coasts, and the movie doesn't actually have much to do with Peter personally. It's the Amazing Mary Jane. You want Spider-Man, he's got his own book.
    Frontier mentioned the concept being a good idea, and I agree. I was commenting on the concept, not this particular storyline. In terms of the concept of Mary Jane having her own book, I like having Peter play a role as a supporting character (much as I like having MJ show up as not just a supporting character but an essential character in Amazing). But even that doesn't have to be every issue.

Honestly, I like where it's going and I'm on board with it.
    I agree.