Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Incredible Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    985

    Default Good comics of the '90s?

    As the title says, the '90s tends to be remembered with disdain for the Dark Age, the loads of crappy comics that came out of it, and the industry almost dying. That was true, but like anything else, there's some good stuff that came out of it. Here is where we'll honor those stories, because if you make a good comic in an era where bad was the norm, shouldn't that also be recognized?

    Off the top of my head:

    The Amazing Spider-Man (pre-Clone Saga)
    Astro City
    The Authority
    Avengers (Busiek's run)
    Black Panther (Priest's run)
    Bone
    Captain Marvel
    Daredevil
    Deadpool
    Death of Superman
    Hellblazer
    Hellboy
    JLA (Morrison's run)
    Kingdom Come
    Knightfall
    The Long Halloween
    Marvel Knights (the entire line)
    Marvels
    Nightwing
    Planetary
    Preacher
    Sandman
    Sin City
    Spawn
    Spider-Girl
    Stormwatch
    Thunderbolts
    Valiant Comics (the entire line)
    Young Justice

    Granted, quite a few of them came from the tail-end of the decade (Authority, Black Panther, JLA, Thunderbolts, Spider-Girl) and others were in direct response to the crappy comics of the era (Kingdom Come), but still.

    Anything else worth noting?

  2. #2
    Mighty Member C_Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    James Robinson's Starman and Mark Waid's Flash are some of my favorite comics of all time regardless of decade.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    10,454

    Default

    The 90s is maligned since the most visible stuff seemed go be in competition to out-edge each other, but the same forces that helped drive that also put out some all time great stories as well.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  4. #4
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    576

    Default

    I actually liked the clone saga.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    As the title says, the '90s tends to be remembered with disdain for the Dark Age, the loads of crappy comics that came out of it, and the industry almost dying. That was true, but like anything else, there's some good stuff that came out of it. Here is where we'll honor those stories, because if you make a good comic in an era where bad was the norm, shouldn't that also be recognized?

    Off the top of my head:

    The Amazing Spider-Man (pre-Clone Saga)
    Astro City
    The Authority
    Avengers (Busiek's run)
    Black Panther (Priest's run)
    Bone
    Captain Marvel
    Daredevil
    Deadpool
    Death of Superman
    Hellblazer
    Hellboy
    JLA (Morrison's run)
    Kingdom Come
    Knightfall
    The Long Halloween
    Marvel Knights (the entire line)
    Marvels
    Nightwing
    Planetary
    Preacher
    Sandman
    Sin City
    Spawn
    Spider-Girl
    Stormwatch
    Thunderbolts
    Valiant Comics (the entire line)
    Young Justice

    Granted, quite a few of them came from the tail-end of the decade (Authority, Black Panther, JLA, Thunderbolts, Spider-Girl) and others were in direct response to the crappy comics of the era (Kingdom Come), but still.

    Anything else worth noting?
    Definitely agree with Astro City, Busiek's Avengers, Bone, Hellboy, Morrison's JLA, Kingdom Come, The Long Halloween, Marvels, Planetary, Sandman, Sin City and early Valiant.

    Some others...
    Stuck Rubber Baby
    Maus
    Understanding Comics
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    From Hell
    Earth X
    Savage Dragon
    Peter David's Incredible Hulk
    Superman For All Seasons

    I do still think it was a mediocre decade. The good stuff came with some bad. It is worth noting that much of the good was standalone work, paving the way for better stuff in the next decade when Marvel also upped its game.

  6. #6
    Mighty Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Felt like listing companies other than Marvel and DC for the sake of giving others more variety to choose from:

    America's Best Comics - Tom Strong, Promethea

    Archie Comics - Sonic the Hedgehog

    Bongo Comics - Simpsons Comics

    Claypool Comics - Soulsearchers and Company, Deadbeats

    Dark Horse Comics - Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Wars, Ghost, John Byrne's Next Men, X

    Eternity Comics - Robotech: Return to Macross

    Harris Comics - Vampirella

    Image Comics - Spawn, Savage Dragon, WildC.A.T.s: Covert Action Teams, Supreme, Stray Bullets, Glory, Age of Bronze, Backlash, Kiss: Psycho Circus, Bone

    Milestone Media - Hardware, Static, Icon, Blood Syndicate

    Now Comics - The Green Hornet

    Top Cow Productions - Witchblade, Tomb Raider: The Series, The Darkness, Cyber Force, Rising Stars, Ascension

    Topps Comics - X-Files

    Valiant Comics - X-O Manowar, Magnus Robot Fighter; Solar, Man of the Atom; Bloodshot; Turok, Dinosaur Hunter; Shadowman, Harbinger, Rai, The H.A.R.D. Cops, Ninjak, Archer & Armstrong

    Warp Graphics - ElfQuest

    WildStorm - Gen 13, Stormwatch, Wetworks, DV8, Deathblow, Astro City
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-16-2019 at 02:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Felt like listing companies other than Marvel and DC for the sake of giving others more variety to choose from:

    America's Best Comics - Tom Strong, Promethea

    Archie Comics - Sonic the Hedgehog

    Bongo Comics - Simpsons Comics

    Claypool Comics - Soulsearchers and Company, Deadbeats

    Dark Horse Comics - Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Wars, Ghost, John Byrne's Next Men, X

    Eternity Comics - Robotech: Return to Macross

    Harris Comics - Vampirella

    Image Comics - Spawn, Savage Dragon, WildC.A.T.s: Covert Action Teams, Supreme, Stray Bullets, Glory, Age of Bronze, Backlash, Kiss: Psycho Circus, Bone

    Milestone Media - Hardware, Static, Icon, Blood Syndicate

    Now Comics - The Green Hornet

    Top Cow Productions - Witchblade, Tomb Raider: The Series, The Darkness, Cyber Force, Rising Stars, Ascension

    Topps Comics - X-Files

    Valiant Comics - X-O Manowar, Magnus Robot Fighter; Solar, Man of the Atom; Bloodshot; Turok, Dinosaur Hunter; Shadowman, Harbinger, Rai, The H.A.R.D. Cops, Ninjak, Archer & Armstrong

    Warp Graphics - ElfQuest

    WildStorm - Gen 13, Stormwatch, Wetworks, DV8, Deathblow, Astro City
    Great list, Electricmastro.

    Here's my Top 15 list:

    1. Alan Moore's 1963

    2. Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear

    3. Garth Ennis' Punisher

    4. Waid's Captain America (#444-454)

    5. Alan Davis' Excalibur

    6. The Power of SHAZAM!

    7. Paul Chadwick's Concrete

    8. Rude/Baron's Nexus

    9. Jason Pearson's Body Bags

    10. Xenozoic Tales

    11. Avengers Forever

    12. Untold Tales of Spider-Man

    13. BWS Weapon X

    14. Anything Peter David has written.

    15. Anything from Batman Adventures (especially Mad Love).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 11-16-2019 at 08:19 PM.

  8. #8
    Mighty Member LifeIsILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Almost every DC title in the 90s was good. It's like people have amnesia or something.

    1. Mike Grell's Green Arrow ---> Judd Winick's Green Arrow.

    2. Chuck Dixion Nightwing

    3. Chuck Dixon Robin

    4. Ostrander Suicide Squad

    5. Keith Giffen L.E.G.I.O.N

    6. Garth Ennis Hitman

    7. Garth Ennis The Demon

    8. Mark Waid Flash

    9. Giffen Justice League America

    10. Wolfman Deathstroke

    11. Wolfman/Dan Jurgens Teen Titans

    12. Legend of the Dark Knight

    13. Walter Simonson Man of Steel

    14. Peter David Supergirl

    15. Peter Milligan Shade the Changing Man

    16. James Robinson Starman

    17. JSA 8 issue mini

    18. Legion of Superheroes

    19. Ostrander Firestorm

    20. Messner-Loeb Wonder Woman

    21. Karl Kesel Hawk and Dove

    22. Karl Kesel Harley Quinn

    23. Doug Moench Catwoman ---> Devin Grayson Catwoman

    If you think 2000's DC was better than 90s DC....then I don't know....you better have hell of a good reason.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 11-16-2019 at 07:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    859

    Default

    Just to add to a lot of titles and storylines with which I agree that were great and done in the 90s, I think Spectacular Spider-Man by J.M DeMatteis and Sal Buscema deserves a mention. Up to this day, the Osborn Saga and Funeral Arrangements are two of the greatest works dissecting classic Spidey's villains.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  10. #10
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default

    The 90's certainly had a style all it's own, distinguishing itself from other comic eras, but it was by no means a lost or horrible era. SO MANY good books and runs came out of and many loved creators today got their start in the 90's.
    As far as my contribution to the list (so many good ones mentioned here):
    Peter David's Aquaman
    Gen 13
    Last edited by Paula_Gor; 11-19-2019 at 03:01 AM.

  11. #11
    Mighty Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    In regards to Marvel highlights from the 90s:

    Jim Starlin's Thanos Quest, Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War, and Infinity Crusade

    X-Men's Muir Island Saga, X-Cutioner's Song, Fatal Attractions, Legion Quest, and Age of Apocalypse

    Weapon X (1991)

    Spider-Man's The Name of the Rose, Carnage (1992), and Maximum Carnage

    Avengers' Operation: Galactic Storm, Live Kree or Die!, and Ultron Unlimited

    Marvels (1994)

    Incredible Hulk's The Trojan War

    Captain America's Operation: Rebirth and American Nightmare

    Heroes Reborn: The Return

    Christopher Priest's Black Panther

    Kevin Smith's Daredevil

    Avengers Forever
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-17-2019 at 03:15 PM.

  12. #12
    Incredible Member icctrombone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Hitman. And Mike Barons Nexus started in the 80's.

  13. #13
    Leggo my Eggo! John Pannozzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The 90s is maligned since the most visible stuff seemed go be in competition to out-edge each other, but the same forces that helped drive that also put out some all time great stories as well.
    Exactly.

    I just started to read comics in the 1990s (I was born in late 1986, FYI), and even by the end of the 90s, I was still a little too young for "grim and gritty" material. So, I was little more than a bystander to the industry boom and bust.

    But having witnessed a lot of 90s material thanks to back-issue bins, I feel that there was plenty of interesting material back then. You just needed to look close enough to find it.

    Strangers in Paradise can be added to the list of worthwhile titles from this era.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,499

    Default

    Niel Gaiman's Sandman, one of the finest comics ever published.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,802

    Default

    Richard Corbens' DEN, Mutant World
    Alan Davis-Excalibur
    Kevin Maguire-JLA
    Bart Sears-JL Europe
    Flaming Carrot
    Simon Bisley-Lobo,Slaine.Batman vs Judge Dredd
    John Byrne-Avengers West Coast, Sensational She-Hulk
    Larry Stromans' Tribe
    John Buscemas' run on Wolverine
    Crying Freeman
    Geoff Darrow, Frank Miller-Hard Boiled, Rusty and Big Guy
    A lot of good comics in the 90s the early 2000s was the real dark ages imo.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-20-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •